TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the replies!

We went to the park and really enjoyed ourselves.

First, since it was just posted about: Pink Things. I assume by "bring back" you mean bring back the original Pink Things, right? Because they are still there, although obviously they're in a different form factor (and flavor and manufacturer) than they used to be! They're now basically just Push-Up type ice cream that is sold at the front of the park....and have a cotton candy-type flavor to them. I wasn't a huge fan of the flavor, but at least one 3 and one 5 year-old loved 'em!! Best part was that they were selling them for just $1 --- RIGHT NEXT to the high-priced Ben & Jerry's store!

Second, what a shame about Texas Chute Out. I'd never been on one of these, and me and my 5 year-old just loved it. FYI: it appears that it doesn't open until noon, so no need to run that way at rope drop. Additionally, they were only running two of the two-chute lines, and that's all they needed. We dropped three times, and just loved it. Even the whir of the cable as you drop "sounded old"!

As many agree, I don't think a lot of tears will be shed for Flashback. If anything, it will be good that the park is losing one of it's many "older" coasters! That is one thing I was stunned by, just how old some of their rides are! That Runaway Mine Train almost looks like one (of their many) old-timey sets! At first glance it's hard to believe that it's actually a functioning coaster.

The steam train is great -- we also enjoyed the books you can buy in the game area to "save" money (you basically get a bunch of dollar tickets, along with free and BOGO tickets, which save you about $20 (when you spend $40)).

Interesting park - we found the location of Judge Roy Scream unique (you enter through a tunnel under the main entrance road to get to the actual ride/line, where it is the only ride located). We were also fascinated by that abandoned strip mall in the corner of the park by Flashback....with the land they (apparently) own there and the Chute Out-Flashback area, they should have a nice chunk to load in (what should be) a signature attraction. Again, it's a shame that they feel like the Chute Out isn't worth the ongoing maintenance costs.......although if Sunday is any indication, I guess ridership is also an argument to nuke it.

EDIT TO ADD: the usual "this park employee told me" comment: this park employee told me (security dude up in the observation tower) that he had heard something about a swing ride that goes "really high" that would be going in where Chute Out and Flashback are. This was after I stated it was a shame they were getting ride of the parachute ride. So, that at least goes along with Six Flags' love of those rides, although you certainly hope they'll be located in the middle of a wingrider or something (to make use of all of that space)!

Glad to hear y'all had a good time.

what Coasters did y'all go on?

(did the kiddo like Mr. Freeze? or was that one too big?).

I hope y'all went on Shockwave -- that's my favorite coaster in the world

As many agree, I don't think a lot of tears will be shed for Flashback. If anything, it will be good that the park is losing one of it's many "older" coasters! That is one thing I was stunned by, just how old some of their rides are! That Runaway Mine Train almost looks like one (of their many) old-timey sets! At first glance it's hard to believe that it's actually a functioning coaster.

A coaster doesn't need to be new. Mine Train is not only old, but historic. Shock Wave opened in 1978 and still kicks. These rides are one-of-a-kind layouts and each gives a great ride in its own way. They should hopefully run for many more generations to enjoy.

Flashback, however, is a clone - and a bad one at that. I deserved removal for that, not because of its age.

EDIT TO ADD: the usual "this park employee told me" comment: this park employee told me (security dude up in the observation tower) that he had heard something about a swing ride that goes "really high" that would be going in where Chute Out and Flashback are. This was after I stated it was a shame they were getting ride of the parachute ride. So, that at least goes along with Six Flags' love of those rides, although you certainly hope they'll be located in the middle of a wingrider or something (to make use of all of that space)!

Because I'm sure that the observation tower security guy is sleeping with the person who ordered the new ride. Or something.

I went to SFOT on Monday, and I really chose a great day to go. The lines weren't bad, the weather was in the 90's, and got to ride New Texas Giant, Mr Freeze: Reverse Blast, and Flashback for my first time today. I did not take any pictures, but I definitely had a great time!

New Texas Giant - Got 4 rides in - waited 30 minutes, 15 minutes, 15 minutes, and 10 minutes respectively. I rode in the back twice, and the ride really just blew me away. I had never felt airtime much like that before...The front delivered some amazing air as well, sometimes in different spots, but every time that little hill before the MCBR is the wildest airtime I've ever experienced on a coaster. The second overbanked turn gave a good yank with some air in the back that was just awesome. I'd say there were at least 4 good, ejector air spots on the ride whether you're in front or back.

Titan - Pretty good ride, got 2 rides in with a walk on and a one train wait for the back...the first drop is always disappointing with the lack of airtime, but the floater hill is definitely my favorite part of the ride. The helices are almost too intense, but I love it at the same time.

Superman - Just might be my favorite S&S tower (Dr. Doom is right up there). They were running Blue and Yellow, and I got one ride on both with about a 15 and 5 minute wait. My brother and I didn't really even feel the need to take the single rider line since we got so much in. The two towers gave a slightly different ride (when I rode at least). The blue side had a much better launch, while on the yellow side I didn't even get air at the top - and on blue we had a jerk when we hit the top before the big drop, while yellow was completely smooth. The drop on both were just insane, and the height certainly adds to it.

Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast - Loved it. I got three rides in, the first two were both 30-40 minutes, the last one was probably 20 minutes. Everyone riding seemed to be having the best time. The backward launch wasn't much better, but going up through top hat wild. Entering the element backwards first was crazy, and the drop was great!

Batman - The ride ops were slow, stacking the train every time, but I didn't wait more than 10 minutes for the back row either time. I really enjoy the ride. It's fast, intense, disorienting, and surprises me with its intensity every time. The second time I rode it seemed to be running even better, and I greyed out after the second loop and the following helix.

Flashback - The first time I walked by, I decided to skip it. I saw riders heads banging, and there was a 3-4 train wait. The second time I just figured since I probably wouldn't get the chance to ride it again, and because the line was a little shorter, I might as well ride it at least once. So get on the ride and I have my very uncomfortable feeling/looking restraints sitting nice and comfortable on my body, and the ride op pushed it down one to many notches...then somewhere while going forwards in the Cobra Roll it went down another notch or two. The thing was digging in to my shoulders the whole second half of the ride...however, I did manage to avoid some headbanging. Worlds of Fun's Boomerang was much, much better.

Judge Roy Scream - Fairly boring...I rode in the back, and the little air I got caused me some pain at the bottom of a couple drops. My brother tipped me off to pull the restraints down a bit farther to avoid getting any air at all, which certainly helped. There wasn't much of a line, and I saw one guy ride once on the train before me, once on my train, and he was re-riding again after I got off...what is he thinking?

Shockwave - Didn't wait long for this one, and managed to get the second to last seat. I love the loops, and the last two drops give some great air! Always a fun ride!

Runaway Mountain - I had ridden the ride before, so I wasn't quite as surprised by the ride - but it is still fun! Much better than JRS or Flashback! Plus, there was only a two train wait and they were running 3 trains!

I will say I enjoyed the ride ops for the most part. It seemed like they were having fun at work, and the people in the booth were always trying to get people excited to ride. Some of them were pretty goofy, but I liked that Six Flags lets (or almost encourages) the ride ops to be upbeat and interactive over the microphones. The slow ride ops at Batman were really just slow because of interacting with the guests, each other, and taking care of the loose article bin situation...

Also, I really think Six Flags could do a little more than coordinate colors there. Since so many riders have to put loose articles aside, I don't get why they can't just have 2-3 sets of bins that are each labeled to a specific row of each train. Instead of making people from the back of the train walk to the blue bin up front, they could split the front and back of the trains.

That aside, I had a great day at SFoT. New Texas Giant cracks my top 10, maybe top 5 coasters!

I wouldn't be surprised if they got a StarFlyer, but I'd be really surprised if that is ALL they're getting. They made it a point to announce the Sept 30 announcement with the statement that it was appropriate they do so on "National Rollercoaster Day."

Also, if it was just a StarFlyer, there would be no reason to remove Flashback.

Not to mention that there are already StarFlyers at SFFT and the Galveston Pier. Hardly anything to get THAT excited about, being the third one in the state.

^^ You have to remember that those little teases on their Facebook are designed for the local GP. Most of them probably haven't been to SFFT or the Pleasure Pier, and wouldn't make the connection even if they had. A lot of them hardly know the distinction between a roller coaster and a non-coaster thrill ride.

I think Medusa could probably fit there. I've been wondering that myself. I could be way wrong, but if that was the planned 2013 addition they're teasing, wouldn't they have already had to have started clearing the area? Anyway, I hope Medusa won't be ending up SFOT, or at least not in that spot.

Lol, I just spent about ten minutes doing the same thing and couldn't find a way to make it fit. I don't think it could fit there after all unless maybe they removed Johnny Rockets and the Crazy Legs. I don't see it happening. The only realistic place I can see Medusa going would be where La Vibora is now. I wouldn't hate that, actually (as long as it got a Spanish sort of theme).

I dont think SFOT is getting Bizarro because SFGAdv would have made an announcement at least stating last chance to ride Bizarro and the ride would have to be dismantled and prepared for transport already because its a large coaster unlike Flashback which can be loaded on the back of 2 trucks.

I don't think it could fit there after all unless maybe they removed Johnny Rockets and the Crazy Legs. I don't see it happening.

Why not? Johnny Rockets is in a 22 year old building that's way too small for the demand. Crazy Legs was just dropped into the street in front of Flashback and wouldn't be terribly difficult to relocate. If I remember correctly, its control system is housed in a storage closet in the Chute Out queue house.

All that said, I think anyone expecting anything more than a star flyer or some variation of that is going to be pretty disappointed come announcement day.

I was bored, so I made another one. Dare Devil Dive is in yellow, Vild-Svinet from BonBon-Land is in white, and Huracan from Belantis is in pink.

eurossfot-01.thumb.png.ecbce3b5d1d3ae344d54ae46904ff068.png