TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Summer Trip Advice

Planning a southern US trip

Hi everyone,

I'm planning southern US coaster trip this summer (with a fellow TPR friend, but solo if he can't make it). I'll be booking stuff soon, but wanted to reach out to this fine community to get some advice. I posted a similar thread a couple of years ago, and you all came through in fine form. So, I figured I'd try it again. So, here goes...

To start, here's the itinerary:

Sunday, July 14 - Fly into Atlanta, Georgia and drive to Austell, Georgia

Monday, July 15 - SFOG (drive to Atlanta that evening)

Tuesday, July 16 - Spend a couple of hours at Fun Spot, then drive to Dollywood

Wednesday, July 17 - Dollywood (stay in local hotel that night)

Thursday, July 18 - Kill a couple of hours in Pigeon Forge, then drive to Charlotte, NC

Friday, July 19 - Carowinds

Saturday, July 20 - Fly home out of Charlotte

I've only been to SFOG, the other parks are new to me. Here are my questions:

1. Any hotel suggestions? This isn't a huge deal, as I enjoy searching for hotels. However, if anyone knows of any hotels that are particularly good (or should be avoided), that would be useful. I don't need anything fancy, just clean and comfortable. I prefer a hotel that offers complimentary hot breakfast (eggs, meats, waffles, etc.). I prefer to stuff myself and avoid park food, then having dinner at the end of the coaster-riding day.

2. Any food suggestions? I enjoy sampling local/regional specialties. I love southern cooking, so I'm very excited to eat my way through the south. From what I understand, Dollywood has some pretty good food. I also plan on eating at Vortex Bar and Grill in Atlanta after the SFOG day. Any restaurants near parks that are good?

3. Any park strategy suggestions? The goal is to ride lots and lots of roller coasters. I'm fully prepared to purchase top-level skip-the-line-passes at each park. However, any strategies you could recommend would be much appreciated. 

4. Any advice for the travel days (Tuesday and Thursday)? In Atlanta, I'm really only interested in Aerie Force One (and getting any other one-and-done credits). Would 2-3 hours be sufficient to get multiple rides on the RMC at Fun Spot? And, before driving to Charlotte, I plan on exploring the Pigeon Forge area for a few hours. Any suggestions on fun things to do (I understand there's a mountain coaster...I haven't been on one of those in many years)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give.

-Doug

Pigeon Forge has multiple Mountain Coasters.

and personally. . I'd say Dollywood is way more than a 1 day park.     I'd do two days, and get in a couple (or few) of the mountain coasters - Goats on the Roof is the one I liked best.

As the person possibly/likely going (here's to hoping my soon to be new job is reasonable with understanding already planned events) I will say prepare to have your mind blown by the mountain scenery of the area. The drive from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, NC was some of the best I've seen, and isn't much longer along the way to Charlotte. If you feel we could use a dose of nature between the thrills!

The parks of course speak for themselves. Dollywood lives up to the hype and Fury will blow your mind (+ their solid collection). Deff hoping the employer will be understanding and I can join! 

If your only plan on Tuesday is to ride AF1 and get to Pigeon Forge, I highly recommend taking Route 23 to 441 and up through the Great Smoky Mountains and down into Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. I went in April last year and took this route as a last-minute decision (due to crazy Atlanta traffic in the afternoon making the travel times similar, so I may as well see nice scenery). It was the best decision I made that trip and I had a blast.

It is generally a longer route, but if you're not planning on visiting Dollywood until Wednesday then I would highly recommend this. Also you will get on AF1 instantly assuming it opens with the park and you could honestly be done in less than an hour. There is absolutely nothing else at the park worth doing IMO, but AF1 is excellent and worth several re-rides.

If you like old wooden coasters there's a John Allen at Lake Winnie between Atlanta and Knoxville in Chattanooga. Another credit or two if you're into counting/collecting those and a great water ride.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:33 PM, prozach626 said:

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg has some real shithole looking hotels. Look for good ratings and prices that aren't insanely cheap.

Accurate.  That being said, when I stayed at Timbers Lodge back in 2012 it was fantastic.  Twelve years makes a load of difference, though, so buyer beware.

We stayed at the Tru near Dollywood and it was great. They have a roof deck that was nice and you could see the fireworks from Dollywood if you don't stay until close. Can't say anything about the mountain coasters but there are a ton of them in the area. Only downside in my opinion for Pigeon Forge is it's very touristy along the main drag in town. 

We tried a smattering of mountain coasters and our favorite (family of 5) was the Rocky Top coaster just outside Dollywood on route 449. We loved Goats on the Roof as a tourist trap, but not the coaster - it was very short. Rocky Top is quite lengthy and "themed."

We ended up renting a cabin a while back when we stayed in Pigeon Forge. Made it a lot more enjoyable. Wasn't significantly more than local hotels were, either. Another option to consider depending on how much time you're looking to spend in the area.

• Like 1

^Same

21 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Accurate.  That being said, when I stayed at Timbers Lodge back in 2012 it was fantastic.  Twelve years makes a load of difference, though, so buyer beware.

Especially since even the high end hotels aren't even maintained as well as they were pre-COVID.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the great advice. I especially appreciate the advice about hotels near Dollywood. Since I typically pay attention to reviews and don't go for the cheapest, I think I'll be ok. I'll still be a little more careful when I look for hotels there. Thanks again!

• Like 1