TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: DreamWorks Land passholder preview report!

4 minutes? I hope that is not true, that will be a huge letdown.

That's actually not TOO bad. It's all in the story telling. For example, Indiana Jones is only around 3:30, but you'd never guess it.

Edited by Jew

I think the fanboys will be happy with the overall theming etc .

Can anyone tell me how soft openings work? I've never actually been around a newly opened ride/land.

The land would be "open", with some of the shops and such, but the major attractions could open/close at anytime. The only attraction that has been predicted to open/close irregularly is the Forbidden Journey, as Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff were existing rides and don't really need to be soft tested.

I do like Harry Potter , but I was always wary of this themed area, but I must say I'm impressed with the level of detail going into it!

I like the flags at the entrance to "Dragon Challenge", and look forward to seeing pictures from a soft opening!

For whatever reason, these trains just do not fit well on the track. Every time I've ridden HRRR, my car was shaking and jolting. It doesn't help that some seats have malfunctioning speakers; you never know if your music will play or not) This ride had a lot of potential, I just don't see why they didn't go with a more popular and reliable manufacturer such as intamin. (Don't bother telling me about their safety record, I know...). I went to Uni on sunday and they were running 5 trains so hopefully the wait times will go down at least.

Well with installation and dispatching they are, as for maintenance and safety, Universal is obviously good about making sure their rides are safe and well maintained. Either way, I wish HRRR would have come out as a better ride. But at least you get to listen to cool music.

I think the fanboys will be happy with the overall theming etc .

Can anyone tell me how soft openings work? I've never actually been around a newly opened ride/land.

The land would be "open", with some of the shops and such, but the major attractions could open/close at anytime. The only attraction that has been predicted to open/close irregularly is the Forbidden Journey, as Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff were existing rides and don't really need to be soft tested.

Ahhh, ok! Thanks! I guess it just happens on an ad-hoc basis? I'm going in a few weeks so was hoping to experience some of it.

4 minutes? I hope that is not true, that will be a huge letdown.

That's actually not TOO bad. It's all in the story telling. For example, Indiana Jones is only around 3:30, but you'd never guess it.

While I agree it is quite a short ride time and slightly disappointing, I agree with Joey and it's the overall story and presentation. I'm sure that four minutes doesn't include the pre-shows. Did one of the main guys from IOA/Universal Orlando say it was going to be an hour experience? Obviously over exaggerating and probably with full queue, but I'm sure people will come off satisfied (except for the spiders, why did it have to be spiders!).

Universal Orlando has released another new teaser image for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

_MG_5081.jpg.9b187785efb1c1942386d1eb24ab3a85.jpg

Hogsmeade Entry

As guests pass through the arch into Hogsmeade at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, they will be immediately transported to a world of wonder, excitement and adventure. While exploring the cobbled streets of the highly themed environment, they will encounter iconic locations from the Harry Potter books and films, like the Hogwarts Express, Ollivanders and the majestic Hogwarts castle. Set for a grand opening at Universal Orlando Resort on June 18, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will feature multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant.

Here is the video you are talking about

LINK REMOVED

ADMIN EDIT: Your post is in violation of our Terms of Service. You must have at least fifty legitimate posts on Theme Park Review's forums to be allowed to post any links to external sites.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Hey everyone! I was just at IOA during the weekend and the queue up to Dueling Dragon pretty much goes through the Harry Potter world ... when you go up on the coaster you get somewhat get a view of everything (you really have to turn your head) AND IOA tried very hard to keep everything concealed ...

I'm planning on going again for 4th of July to actually visit HP.

Quick questions ... I noticed that the Rock It coaster did NOT have a fast pass line, do you think the same will apply with Harry Potter??? Umm..

I'm all for Harry Potter, though I'm not really as much of a fan as I was. I just want to see the new ride and that's basically it.

My only problem is the commercials. I have literally seen it 6 times an hour and it's driving me crazy! Do they really need to do it that much? It's starting to annoy me where I'd rather not see the commercial again.

I just saw some new ads today on USA and they seem even MORE like it's a new park. They also say it's at the resort, not the park. Combine this with what I've heard from people saying online and in person, it seems Universal is setting themselves up for a big big upset, even more than before. I can see thousands of people going to the ticket counters trying to buy tickets to the "Harry Potter park" and wondering where it is.

^^^ I don't know... it seems like every time the theme park resorts open a big headliner attraction, they sell it as "at the _____ resort." Didn't they do that with Expedition Everest? I don't remember, and we don't get a lot of those commercials this far to the midwest. I guess I just need to find a copy of these commercials.

To be fair, the buzz from the very VERY beginning was that this was going to be its own theme park. Heck, you can see the first confusion about this reported on page 3 of this thread, way back in 2007.

^^^ I don't know... it seems like every time the theme park resorts open a big headliner attraction, they sell it as "at the _____ resort." Didn't they do that with Expedition Everest? I don't remember, and we don't get a lot of those commercials this far to the midwest. I guess I just need to find a copy of these commercials.

To be fair, the buzz from the very VERY beginning was that this was going to be its own theme park. Heck, you can see the first confusion about this reported on page 3 of this thread, way back in 2007.

Here's the ad, states at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom Park.

Plus a coaster obviously is in a park, not an extra ticket. When an addition called "The Wizzarding WORLD of Harry Potter" (my emphasis) and doesn't state a park, then it can be confused as a park.

What Universal should be doing is saying it's in IoA and showing all the OTHER things to do in the park as well. Harry is the gateway drug to Spiderman, Jurassic Park, etc.

I remember seeing ads for both the Nemo Subs and Toy Story Mania that only advertized that they were coming to the "Disneyland Resort". When I was in California the ads were more specific, but here in New England you almost never hear "California Adventure" named on TV.

Hey all,

I was at the park yesterday with some buddies, when we notice some small children and families waving to us from the other side of the bridge. They were sitting down eating, and to me they looked like regular park guests. I headed to the entrance to the WWoHP and not only was the gate closed, there was a new, large black tarp thing covering the entrance, almost next to where the magic show is held. We went over and rode dueling dragons and there was a substantial amount of people in there, but what they were doing I have no idea.

We asked the dueling dragons guy, but he fed us a the usual "they are workers, and I have no idea" which is all I figured we'd get. If anybody has an idea, my friend suggested press groups and tours. 3 Days ago we also caught them testing the Hippogriff coaster (flying Unicorn) It was cool to see some people actually in the area, any ideas if this might be getting closer to a soft opening? I'm going back again today with my g/f, to hang out then to go a concert at Hard Rock. Hope to see something interesting again.

Hey all,

I was at the park yesterday with some buddies, when we notice some small children and families waving to us from the other side of the bridge. They were sitting down eating, and to me they looked like regular park guests. I headed to the entrance to the WWoHP and not only was the gate closed, there was a new, large black tarp thing covering the entrance, almost next to where the magic show is held. We went over and rode dueling dragons and there was a substantial amount of people in there, but what they were doing I have no idea.

We asked the dueling dragons guy, but he fed us a the usual "they are workers, and I have no idea" which is all I figured we'd get. If anybody has an idea, my friend suggested press groups and tours. 3 Days ago we also caught them testing the Hippogriff coaster (flying Unicorn) It was cool to see some people actually in the area, any ideas if this might be getting closer to a soft opening? I'm going back again today with my g/f, to hang out then to go a concert at Hard Rock. Hope to see something interesting again.

Remember a few months ago when they started doing Harry Potter Vacation Packages? Didn't those start in May? And I seem to remember someone saying US was going to honor those packages with special acess even those WW wouldn't be technically open yet. So maybe those folks you saw were some of the earliest package holders.