TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Another excellent update. I really, really want to get back to that park this year. HQ looks fantastic, and I really like this park a lot. If by fourth hill on Superman you mean the one right before the S shields (near the onride photo) I agree 100%, that was one of my my favorite hills on the ride. Also, this photo is amazing:

Thanks for the new desktop.

Thanks! Yes the fourth hill is the one leading into the shields. That hill is El Toro level airtime.

Glad you liked the Harley Quinn photo. It looked even better when it got darker out, but my phone couldn't handle all the lights.

Man, I really wish SFGAdv would get one of these sometime soon. This looks awesome. Maybe next year.

It really is an awesome ride and I'd have no problem if Six Flags cloned it at all their parks.

I have no issues with clones. I have issues with bad clones.

Sesame Place

Last year I made the pilgrimage that no grown adult without kids should ever make, a solo trip to Sesame Place. But the allure of a custom Vekoma roller skater was too great. The park absolutely nailed it's target demographic, but it wasn't a place for thrill seekers to spend more than an hour at.

IMG_2456.thumb.JPG.6aa991b9a3173b3d872b442f46b2e018.JPG

This used to be the only reason for enthusiasts without kids to visit the park.

IMG_2453.thumb.JPG.26b813d109226e177da583bd4b129ff1.JPG

I love the landscaping in the entry plaza.

IMG_2454.thumb.JPG.d984b33283ee53efc80f67d6247f6493.JPG

Hi Elmo.

I said I wasn't going to return until I had kids. I said the same thing about Story Land. But then they added Roar-o-saurus. That was a game-changer. It was a borderline miracle that Gravity Group was able to cram that much airtime into a coaster no taller than 40 feet. Then Sesame Place announced a very similar attraction that cemented a return trip in 2018. That ride was Oscar's Wacky Taxi.

IMG_20180603_110632.thumb.jpg.f7adff13a3ff8b7c186e63e4aea0f208.jpg

And awaaaaay enthusiasts go to Sesame Place.

The POV was very reminiscent of Roar-o-saurus, an endless barrage of airtime hills. Now there was a risk Sesame Place would dial it back a bit, but it was a risk I was willing to take. After all, if the trip was a bust, El Toro was just a half hour east. Neither my girlfriend nor sister were willing to gamble on Oscar's Wacky Taxi like me, so I had another solo visit to Sesame Place.

The day got off to a bumpy start. Actually I should say rough, the bumpy part comes later (don't worry, it wasn't Oscar's Wacky Taxi or Steel Vengeance for that matter). For some odd reason my SeaWorld Platinum Pass wasn't accepted at the toll booth so I had to fork over $20. Fortunately my first trip to guest services got me a refund and they apologized for the misunderstanding.

Once in the park, I made a casual walk to Oscar's Wacky Taxi. If I've learned one thing visiting primarily children's parks alone, the golden rule is that a solo adult should never run. Oscar's Wacky Taxi wasn't quite ready at park opening, but it opened maybe 15-20 minutes after. And as an added surprise, they had two adorable trains running which really helped clear out the line that had formed.

IMG_2444.thumb.JPG.ee1eb819a3f47e340f5bed4675c0de3d.JPG

Usually I'm an Uber guy but I think I prefer this taxi.

It was hard not to be impressed by the coaster’s appearance. I remember being floored when I saw the construction photo showing the green support structure. That looked so wrong on a wooden coaster. It'd be like seeing David Ortiz in a Yankees jersey. Yet Oscar's Wacky Taxi managed to pull it off and it gave the ride character. Or maybe I was just distracted by those trains and Oscar's awfully awesome singing during the queue line.

I started in the back row. Prior to riding, I saw a report from the previous day saying it wasn't close to matching Wooden Warrior's airtime. So I momentarily tempered my expectations, but then the first drop reverted me back. Ejector air at Sesame Place? Yes! It's short, but it sets the course for what's to follow.

IMG_2448.thumb.JPG.0c88abe3b55fc68d42a05105689e3c65.JPG

I still am not used to seeing a green wooden coaster.

I'd agree the individual pops of airtime on Oscar's Wacky Taxi are, for the most part, weaker than the airtime on Wooden Warrior. However, Oscar's Wacky Taxi has impeccable pacing from start to finish. There is absolutely no breathing room. It's just one hill after another, each gives a delightful pop of air. Then two drops off the turnarounds offer surprisingly strong ejector air more in line with Wooden Warrior. And this coaster tracks perfectly smooth, which wasn't a sure bet considering how compact the layout is.

I immediately rerode it in the very front. I was treated to another barrage of non-stop airtime hills, but I preferred the back for the three moments of ejector air. I was hooked. I rode it 6 more times in a row and I would have ridden it more if it didn't breakdown. I think I may have been the first person to have ever been evacuated off of Oscar's Wacky Taxi

This is the perfect addition for Sesame Place. Now budding thrill-seekers have a legitimate coaster to ride. Now coaster enthusiasts have a valid reason to actually get the Vapor Trail credit. Ultimately I'd say it slots just behind Roar-o-saurus and ahead of Wooden Warrior, which is fantastic company. 9 out of 10

IMG_20180603_112133.thumb.jpg.44d9e86f7b61d6103805bb94d73278bc.jpg

The sky looks a bit ominous.

IMG_2446.thumb.JPG.53572a1e3d570d24ba4312b5010bbcca.JPG

There's even a tunnel and it's followed by some awesome airtime.

IMG_2449.thumb.JPG.cdcc18495cdc4e4371d40f3b322fc519.JPG

The amount of hairtime says it all.

Since I was already there, I decided to grab a few rides on Vapor Trail. I didn't start to greyout in the helix this year (still can't believe that happened last year at freaking Sesame Place), but it was still a glass-smooth coaster that's a step above the standard roller skater or tivoli coasters. 5 out of 10

IMG_2452.thumb.JPG.ad1f8e6948510c82bbf7ba978e72a61c.JPG

It really is considerate how Sesame Place put both coasters by the gate.

IMG_2455.thumb.JPG.f09016867f0081a5afeeab2bb42e6a69.JPG

This coaster has more of a right to be called Helix than Liseberg's coaster.

If it were a warmer day I also would have ridden Sky Splash, their unique family raft slide with water sprayers, multiple splashdown pools on the way down, and an airtime filled double down finale. And I think a lot of guests thought the same. I saw barely anyone waiting for the water slides on an overcast 60 degree day.

IMG_2451.thumb.JPG.260fc2fb83cdefceefe1d481127a408e.JPG

No one wanted to play with Rubber Ducky today.

I planned to hit El Toro for a few rides on the way back home, but turns out someone had hit my car so I had to sort that out. Fortunately they left their door wide open, still grazed against my door handle so it was clear who had done it. The damage didn't appear too bad, but I still wanted to exchange info. Guest services wasn't able to help page the guest, so I left a note on their vehicle. I was actually stunned they called me back. They did deny being in the parking lot at the time I returned to my car, but a picture is worth a thousand words and the guy then offered to pay for any paint or work I needed.

IMG_20180603_121908.thumb.jpg.45d80cf20d95f6ac4f170fbadc758e03.jpg

My poor Volkswagen.

Sesame Place is still meant primarily for kids. I think myself and another dude wearing a Cedar Point shirt (guessing he was a coaster enthusiast too, just a hunch) were the only people without kids in the park. But if you have a SeaWorld Platinum Pass, you'd be foolish to miss out on Oscar's Wacky Taxi. Even if you don't have a season pass, it's a pricey credit, but it is a dang good coaster.

I feel like someone who would leave their car door wide open in a theme park parking lot should not be supervising the children they likely took to said theme park.

Nice TR! I'm totally trying to convince my friend who has a 4 year old that she should take him to this park because I secretly want these credits too lmao

I feel like someone who would leave their car door wide open in a theme park parking lot should not be supervising the children they likely took to said theme park.

Nice TR! I'm totally trying to convince my friend who has a 4 year old that she should take him to this park because I secretly want these credits too lmao

Thanks! Oscar's Wacky Taxi is a legitimately good coaster so there shouldn't be any shame riding that one.

Originally I thought the door was left open by an unsupervised child getting out of the car, but then I noticed the car seat right there so I believe it was an adult.

I’m a bit late but:
That experience could never be erased from her mind.

Anyway I’m loving the TR’s, keep ‘em coming

Thanks! Glad you liked the play on words.

Quassy

Quassy is a park that has really grown and evolved in the past 5-6 years. Before the park definitely felt its age. When you entered the parking lot, you could hear the creaking of the rides and see faded paint. Now the park has done a complete 180 for the better.

Gone are the older flats and in are vibrantly painted modern flats, some of which are very unique. The old playground by the beach has now been replaced by a full-fledged and constantly growing water park. They also got a brand new entrance. And most importantly, they got their signature attraction in Wooden Warrior.

IMG_2465.thumb.JPG.861c4caa269efeee1e345c25a4afe406.JPG

Here's that fancy new entrance. Though admission is free so you can be a rebel and walk around if you so choose.

IMG_2472.thumb.JPG.fdffe2912cf57c45af697556f27edb3d.JPG

And the park still has it's older charm too.

I was planning on stopping in for just 2 rides on Wooden Warrior, but I arrived at 4:54 and the after 5 deal was a fantastic value at just $15! So I waited 6 minutes snapping photos of their water park, got my wristband, and then still made my way to Wooden Warrior.

IMG_2459.thumb.JPG.7e36ece0e2d48be3b08ba6427fd69bbc.JPG

Quassy's newest slides.

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.3e31455301333754a080cb829f0c32e5.JPG

Despite a height restriction of 35-40 ft, they have an impressive mix of slides.

I remember thinking Wooden Warrior looked like a cute little family coaster. It is little and it can be enjoyed by families, but it's also a really good coaster. Despite standing no taller than 30-35 feet, the airtime this coaster provides is unbelievable, particularly on the ride's larger drops (which again are only 25-40 feet in height). And that's something Gravity Group has translated to their other smaller woodies as well.

I rode Wooden Warrior mere hours after Oscar's Wacky Taxi, so I was interested to compare the two. Wooden Warrior’s airtime is more intense when it occurs, as there are 7 good spots of air. However, the hills are more drawn out. I sort of liked the frenetic nature of Oscar's Wacky Taxi more, but it's close. 8.5 out of 10

IMG_2466.thumb.JPG.0345ca1ef9cf0706db775584e440af32.JPG

This first drop proves bigger isn't always better. Though it certainly doesn't hurt unless it's an RCCA creation.

IMG_2467.thumb.JPG.f67ec9563e220dc921c0a03b8417ab3f.JPG

Take the tunnel.

IMG_2460.thumb.JPG.62ead5e27c8cf59762d58bf2afb901dd.JPG

Wooden Warrior uses the terrain well.

IMG_2468.thumb.JPG.d10dea6cf19b43a17e70936c809b6684.JPG

I don't blame him for holding onto her. This has legit airtime.

IMG_2463.thumb.JPG.3c64e9fd726e2eb9cc935d07c5929cf7.JPG

Smiles all around.

After 3 rides on Wooden Warrior, I decided to try the park’s newest flat, Reverse Time. When the park retired their old Chance Trabant, they immediately replaced it with SBF’s newer version with outward facing seats like Chance’s Freestyle model. I was intrigued to see if it'd be an upgrade. And for the most part it was, but it had one major tradeoff for us guys.

For the positives, gone are the cramped seats of old. Plus the ride feels faster with the outward seating, gives a few weak pops of air, and comes mere inches from nearby trees. And it also delivers strong strong laterals which comes both a blessing and a curse.

Laterals force you towards the outside of the vehicle. On standard wipeouts/trabants, that results in side-crushing laterals. On round-ups/rotors, your back feels glued to the wall. Both these are comfortable. But on Reverse Time your chest is driven into the restraint and at max speed, us guys will have our family jewels absolutely squashed. Fortunately I think Quassy realizes that as they throttle the ride, running it for 20-30 seconds in one direction and then slowing down to change speeds.

I think I do prefer this set-up over the usual Wipeouts. It's an intense little flat, but it's something that needs to be experienced in moderation if you ever want to have kids. 8 out of 10

IMG_2473.thumb.JPG.206d5b1ef490177c785a232349b3d845.JPG

Out with the old and in with the new.

Lasdt but not least, I rode what is probably Quassy’s most nauseating attraction, Frantic. Their lone inverting ride, Frantic is a diminutive inverting frisbee. While most inverting frisbees have their spinning slow to a crawl when it starts inverting, that isn't the case on Frantic. It's possible to get 2 full spins per revolution. Heck you may even get more on the few that hold you upside down for some glorious and disorienting hangtime.

I did notice the cycle significantly shortened. It used to run in one direction, switch directions once, and then switch directions again resulting in a 3-4 minute cycle. On this visit, Frantic only ran in one direction for 1-1.5 minutes. I wonder if they got tired of cleaning puke. 8 out of 10

IMG_2471.thumb.JPG.0fc47bcf16026ae9c43670ceba80b2cc.JPG

If you don't have a strong stomach, steer clear of this ride.

I did want to also hit their wet/dry water slide on the way out, Big Flush. I rode that thing 15-20 times per visit as a kid, so this was purely for nostalgia. Unfortunately they now implement a “no single rider” policy so that wasn't possible. I do wonder what changed since I grew up solo riding it.

IMG_2469.thumb.JPG.d84a006f2db2b279d4fb16ad0e078932.JPG

Wasn't getting flushed today.

Quassy still isn't a full day park for me, but it is absolutely a park I'll stop by anytime I'm passing through Connecticut. Wooden Warrior is a fantastic airtime machine and seeing the park expand its offerings with modern attractions is really exciting.

Lake Compounce

Originally I was planning a full day at Lake Compounce, but sneaking off to ride Oscar's Wacky Taxi resulted in me having only 1.5 hours on the way home. Since it was too cold for the water park and lines were basically non-existent, that was plenty of time.

I know Lake Compounce has had a rocky past year. From the Sky Ride’s closure to Boulder Dash’s crash to the removal of free soda, it seemed like most news coming out of this park was negative. Still I committed to a season pass. One, it comes with a lot of perks, including free tickets for friends and free locker rentals (though parking still requires a separste pass). Two, Boulder Dash. As long as Lake Compounce keeps one of my favorite woodies running well, I'll still keep coming through the gate.

IMG_2475.thumb.JPG.4d67b2bf6bce6d3158242f06ead9c79f.JPG

I never get tired of this view.

IMG_20180603_201847.thumb.jpg.3127e58c6c3e965969a6ec47aa914ab5.jpg

171 and going strong.

Since I purchased my pass online, I waited in a 10 minute wait by the “Season Pass Processing” building only to then be told to process my season pass at a normal ticket booth. What? That was really weird and confusing, but the process was quick and painless once I was in the right spot. Plus I now have another card in my wallet with a hideous mugshot on it.

My priorities were the 2 good coasters and 1 renovated coaster, so I started a counterclockwise loop around the park making my first stop Phobia. All of Lake Compounce’s marketing used to revolve around Boulder Dash, but now Phobia is the coaster highlighted on commercials and radio advertisements. While Boulder Dash is my preferred ride without a doubt, Phobia looks a whole lot more intimidating since all 150 feet of its height is visible and unobstructed.

These Sky Rocket II’s are one of the best clones out there. Considering their footprint, it's impressive Premier was able to cram launches, ejector air, and a hangtime filled inversion into one ride. While the launches aren't super powerful, the air cresting and descending the top section is absolutely thigh-crushing in power.

For the longest time, Compounce was a one man show. Phobia is the perfect Robin to Boulder Dash's Batman. 8 out of 10

IMG_2476.thumb.JPG.12d6af0e026ae5f07c90f787852853e5.JPG

If this were at a Six Flags park, the advertising would probably be around the region's highest inversion. It also probably would be called Goliath, Batman, or Superman.

Boulder Dash was at one point my favorite wooden coaster. The insantiy known as Lightning Rod and glowfest ERT on Phoenix bumped it down a few spots, but it was still a top 3 wooden coaster. Unfortunately it wasn't quite running up to its full potential on this visit, but it was still better than 90% of the woodies out there.

One possible sign was that Boulder Dash valleyed early in the season. I'm actually stunned that could even happen since it usually hauls through the course even on cooler 50 degree nights at Haunted Graveyard. Then on this visit, I was greeted to the back car being completely closed off. Since the front car is the best seat in the house, that didn't change my plans too much.

The speed at the bottom of the first drop felt was blistering and the insane laterals on the jumbo s-hill up and down the mountain felt as wild as usual, but I could tell something was off on the first two airtime hills. Quite simply put there was no airtime. Not even the coaster’s signature boulder hill, which is usually its best airtime moment, launched me front my seat. It definitely seemed like Boulder Dash was running a bit sluggish.

The rest of the outward leg had the abrupt pops of air as expected mixed in with powerful laterals, but the train really crawled up the turnaround. From early season reports, this is where Boulder Dash valleyed. While the far turnaround was missing its usual laterals, all of the speed was regained and the return leg was an absolute blur. I couldn't believe how much speed was recovered and we flew over every single hill, delivering lovely airtime in the process.

It was only 60 degrees out, but I've ridden Boulder Dash in cooler temperatures during Graveyard after it hadn't run all week and it still wasn't sluggish then, so it was a bit baffling here. Still a slightly sluggish Boulder Dash ride is a fantastic wooden coaster. It has one of the best settings of any coaster and delivers airtime and laterals in droves. On the bright side, it was running reasonably smooth outside of one really bad hill on the outward leg riddled with jackhammering. I'm just hoping it speeds back up later in the season. 9.5 out of 10

IMG_2478.thumb.JPG.4d0de2e365d64a9523932f0b3ff50439.JPG

Truly the best mountain coaster out there.

IMG_2480.thumb.JPG.e18394471bd0374ffa7987b319c2ddb2.JPG

It has the obligatory long lift, but it actually goes faster than 30 mph all while having the similar mountain setting.

IMG_2488.thumb.JPG.a26c9113b04ab9d15d33726bbacadbce.JPG

This part of the ride was running a bit slow.

IMG_2483.thumb.JPG.7f74f16207ed1657e0a644d0b016c3cb.JPG

But the finale was hauling per usual. Fantastic airtime!

I knew I'd be returning to Boulder Dash, but first I wanted to finally experience the renovated Wildcat. What was supposed to be a retracking process complete by spring 2017 turned into a season long endeavor. I think Wildcat ran for a grand total of 1-2 weeks last year before they closed it early to repaint it in an orange and black color scheme inspired by Garfield.

One concern I had with the renovation was the reduced capacity. The old trains held 18 people with buzzbars. The new Millennium Flyers held 4 less people and couldn't be checked as quickly. I'd say the park realized this issue and that's why they have a second train, but Lake Compounce doesn't run multiple trains on their coasters anymore. Heck, they barely even have mutli-log operations on their flume. Even on a deserted day, Wildcat still had a slow-moving 20 minute wait, so I shudder to think how long it'd get on a busier day.

I was immediately worried by how bumpy the lift hill was. Yes you read that right; somehow the lift hill was bumpy. Fortunately the rest of the ride was mostly smooth, a stark contrast to how it used to run. This kitty had claws and had previously blood on a few of my friends and father. Now it was fine other than a few bumps as you'd expect from a wooden coaster.

The trains definitely tracked faster, but there was still no airtime. I honestly think you have better chance getting airtime entering the parking lot. But the increased speed did deliver some really wild laterals in the middle part of the ride. It always impresses me when a coaster that's primarily out-and-back can surprise me with laterals.

So how do I feel about the retracking? It definitely improved the coaster; that's without question. It's still just a decent wooden coaster at best, but Lake Compounce's picturesque entryway wouldn't look complete without this historical ride. Plus this does serve as the park’s family coaster now, albeit with a rather high height requirement. 6 out of 10

IMG_2489.thumb.JPG.c36199aabe7699c4e6a4006fb09ef560.JPG

I love the new entrance.

IMG_2490.thumb.JPG.8e5eda171582c515a8f48d95f32efe16.JPG

I'm glad Lake Compounce preserves their history. Too bad the Sky Ride didn't count as history.

IMG_2484.thumb.JPG.7e63ec7e8eb4567c20af2db508ae8033.JPG

So weird to actually see Wildcat running for me during a visit.

IMG_2486.thumb.JPG.638b63d5ab01d2f07ff07a03e3bb8ad2.JPG

I honestly think I got more air in the parking lot.

IMG_2485.thumb.JPG.dc9937299596c8a63819e6e793ec6c46.JPG

But there are laterals as compensation.

Down Time was loading as I passed it, so I gave the park’s drop tower a whirl. These S&S versions can't complete with the Larson or Intamin versions in terms of that stomach dropping sensation, but Down Time does offer a great view and some well executed clock effects. And there is at least a strong burst of air at the start of the descent. 8 out of 10

IMG_2479.thumb.JPG.bfc981bb67ff026de46621dd3f3bc0e1.JPG

Using ticking effects before Time Traveler made them cool.

I had a half hour left, so I returned to Boulder Dash for a mini marathon to end the night. Before my first ride, a group of teens were kicked off since they were caught standing up on a different ride. Usually the accused would vehamently deny any such accusations, but these teens tried to plea that they “only stood for 5 seconds.” For anyone wondering, that admission got them ejected from the park.

The 8 pm close and a 9 pm sunset meant the coaster wasn't pitch black (a shame since this is one of the best night rides anywhere), but I'll get my right rides at Graveyard. Thanks to the park’s generous reride policy, I was able to rack up 6 more rides without leaving the station. That's the right way to end a visit at Lake Compounce.

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.848001556436e09c3bcee28f3553e52b.JPG

I see a boulder. And I also see dashing.

I'm hoping Lake Compounce can rebound from 2017. They have an anchor attraction any park would be jealous to have, but some of their recent moves removed things that made the park unique. But hope is on the way as that massive clearing around the lake has to be for something. Maybe not in 2019, but sometime down the road.

Awesome report, I was planning on going there tomorrow, but it seems the wildcat is down AGAIN for maintenance until further notice (on the park's website...) and I didn't go last year because of this reason as well.

If I go, I'm very excited to go on Boulder Dash again. What a spectacular ride.

Awesome report, I was planning on going there tomorrow, but it seems the wildcat is down AGAIN for maintenance until further notice (on the park's website...) and I didn't go last year because of this reason as well.

If I go, I'm very excited to go on Boulder Dash again. What a spectacular ride.

Thanks! That's really a bummer Wildcat is down again. It was running pretty well a few weeks back so hopefully it's just temporary.

Great reports, Michael...keep 'em coming!

Thanks! The next batch will be Japan.

But hope is on the way as that massive clearing around the lake has to be for something. Maybe not in 2019, but sometime down the road.

I did get to talk to the park's GM about that a few months back. The clearing around the lake is, pretty much as it appears, going to be for the waterpark. They have literally decades worth of possible expansion plans for it. It definitely won't be filled up in 2019, or 2020, but they plan for it to be growing slowly for years to come.

Fortunately there are other improvements coming sooner. There are plans to replace the Skyride with at least one, likely multiple, flats. When I spoke to Jerry about it, they were in the process of testing the ground there; the composition of the soil and rock there will decide what kind of structures can be built. Jerry said he had some possible rides in mind for the spot, but he wasn't willing to share them yet, at least not before the site testing was finished. (Tell me a Condor 2G wouldn't be perfect there, though!).

There's also possibly more expansion room coming; the park was working out details on expanding somewhat past the lake. They'd been blocked by the town in the past and the homeowners beyond the park weren't willing to allow it, but they were working on some trades and deals there, and Jerry seemed pretty confident it would work out.

doesn't look like Quassy has much that would convince me to drag my spouse along for a visit.. tho it's cool they have a junior woodie with some air.

but I do like SAYING "Quassy". . it just rolls off the tongue.. LOL

(and my thoughts about that trabant, were exactly what you said. . . . the FIRST picture, I was like. . . oooooo.. that looks like it could hurt! (and I had flashbacks to Max Air at CP)).

keep the reports coming.. love em.

Great report

img_2489_7.jpg

This is basically this in real life...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Thanks! That's awesome and sadly so true.

^ Best TPR FB post ever.

Great updates as always Canobie. Thanks for letting us follow along...

Thanks! I enjoy reading other TRs so I figure I can pay something back.

Great reports from Compounce and Quassy! I'd love to get up there someday!

Thanks! Those two parks can easily be done in a day and you get to ride two very good wooden coasters. Plus they both have a beautiful setting next to a lake.

• 3 weeks later...

Yokohama Cosmoworld

Oh Japan! I don’t even know where to begin to talk about this amazing place. I just got back from a 2.5 week trip to the Land of the Rising Sun and I’ll still trying to pick my jaw up off the ground. Robb and Elissa arranged another spectacular trip and it was a pleasure meeting everyone. I guess the only place to begin is the first park I visited- Yokohama Cosmoworld.

I have an affinity for theme parks in a bustling downtown metropolis. Yokohama Cosmoworld certainly fit the bill. The park is right in the heart of downtown Yokohama surrounded by massive skyscrapers, a beautiful river, and the Cup of Noodles Museum (yes that's a thing). I'm really glad I visited in the evening since the background combined with the park’s light packages was breathtaking. Since I missed the pre-trip, I visited this park unofficially with a few other TPR members.

Unfortunately Cosmoworld doesn't offer a pay-one-price option. Really that's my lone gripe with the park, especially since they had so many quirky dark rides and walkthroughs I wanted to try. But ultimately I had the mindset “when in Japan.”

635595292_ParkSign(Day).thumb.jpg.09b9331ea0b59da49bcd87dd014b0cfa.jpg

First park in Japan!

1143705075_YokohamaSkyline.thumb.jpg.ef50db7b400a41900441f3860bc6bcd5.jpg

What a backdrop for a park!

1515601982_CupNoodlesMuseum.thumb.jpg.f6a4b0b2f84418c01912598ed52c8fd6.jpg

And to save you the hassle of googling the Cup of Noodles Museum. Yes it exists.

Since it was an overcast day and I was advised many Japanese parks have a rain policy that'd make Cedar Point proud, we took no chances and hit Dive Coaster: Vanish first. This would be my first encounter with a jet coaster and this one definitely looked intriguing as it wrapped around the park and eventually underwater in that picturesque drop you've probably all seen.

Because of slow one train operations, we waited 20 minutes for our first ride. There's no choice seating, but luckily we were assigned the back car. I was immediately stunned how cramped the ride vehicles were. I'm 5’10” and was pretty low on space. But the real shocker was the clearance for your head on the OSTR. I actually had to remove my glasses for it to clear my ears, which is definitely a first for me. The several inches of padding also makes it nearly impossible to turn your head during the ride. I just prayed it'd be smooth. Then right before we dispatched, I heard a telephone ring.

“Please don't close the ride due to rain. Please don't close the ride due to rain.”

It was drizzling, but we were off. I later found out that’s a common buzzer sound used when a Japanese train departs. The first two drops maybe had a tiny pop of air and then that's followed by the signature underwater plunge. Again it had small pop of air and the resulting tunnel was far briefer than expected. It lasted probably only a second. But it's a blur since there are flashing multi-colored lights combined with a bad bit of headbanging (only rough part of the ride). There's then one more drop followed by a surprisingly forceful downward helix. It's length and compactness leads to some solid sustained Gs.

Dive Coaster gives a high speed tour of Cosmoworld. It's not a thrill machine by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have some decent drops and that nice helix at the end. And that's all combined with the incredible backdrop or Yokohama and Cosmoworld. 6 out of 10

1188073474_VanishDrop(Front).thumb.jpg.b080c6414bab837befe669579c964be0.jpg

This is the mandatory Cosmoworld shot.

1915192392_VanishHelix.thumb.jpg.625544903bc9cc8035a211fa2eaeb6be.jpg

Vanish had this extremely tight helix as the finale.

378281528_VanishSecondHill.thumb.jpg.fb471a0e30946e08b25926ef61ea16ff.jpg

Vanish basically gave a high speed tour of the park's main area. Basically that describes my Uber rides in Mexico City too.

The other “major” coaster was the creatively named Spinning Coaster. It was closed for the day (not sure if it was because of the rain or other reasons), but I wasn't too bummed since I've been on several of these Reverchon/Zamperla spinners lately. I think the most unique thing about this one was how it was perched atop a building, so its max height was a good 100 feet off the ground.

1045857221_CrazyMouse.thumb.jpg.83cb9e154f233b8dc48308941971bb16.jpg

I guess water makes the mouse melt like the Wicked Witch.

In the center of the park, there's a huge building with 4 levels of arcades, stores, and dark rides. Therst dark ride we encountered was their shooter, Cave of Ekidona. The vehicles are a bit odd as you ride facing outwards like a splash battle. We were given 3D glasses so I expected a screen based shooter like the Midway Mania or the Triotech installations. Instead I was stunned to see primarily physical sets.

I have zero clue what the plot was (if there even was one), but there were dragons and huge birds to shoot. All the targets were constantly moving, an advantage over the cardboard cutout ones out there. The targets were colossal (at least 2-3 times the size of others) and combined with the laser aim, I think I had something close to 80% accuracy. Meanwhile I proudly finish in the 10-20% range on Midway Mania.

There were a few screens with multi-armed monsters dishing out attacks like those PG 3D movies marketed at kids, but we weren't getting any points for shooting them. This was probably the best of the park’s dark rides, but it was far from the oddest as I'd later find out. 7 out of 10

Shooter.thumb.JPG.3aa1ae9e7b9af2bcd6d49a407baaa812.JPG

Go figure, I had better accuracy shooting targets than snapping a photo actually in focus.

Next door was Journey of Fear, their ghost train where you legitimately ride in cages. The quirky part of this attraction was that you could pick your fear level from 1-3. So naturally we picked the max fear rating.

Ultimately the props and scares were about on par with a well-maintained carnival dark ride. None of the characters stood out and for the most part, the scares consisted of a dark hallway where a creature was suddenly lit up. There were a few that grazed the vehicle so I understand the need for cages. I think the most unique gag was the air blasts from the vehicle themselves, but they weren't timed with another effect. If they coincided with the reveal of something like a mouse, it'd be pretty terrifying. But here, they just occurred randomly in the dark.

While the Journey of Fear wasn't all that scary, I do have to admit picking your fear level is an intriguing concept to allow a haunted house to be suitable for kids and adults. Just here, I think the max scare level won't really scare anyone but the littlest of kids. 3 out of 10

1464652211_HauntedHouse.thumb.jpg.54d1fe1ee1c48be817e3ff02194681d6.jpg

Being locked in a cage is pretty terrifying on its own, but unfortunately there wasn't much thrills beyond that.

Then there was the Adventure Dark Ride. I definitely have never seen anything quite like it and am not sure I ever will again. Basically they gave riders a cell phone attached to a paddle. Using the phone's camera, we were supposed to move it around to find these evil cloud creatures and feverishly tap them until they pop and disappear.

The physical sets were colorful, but it was hard to focus on them when they seemingly had no bearing on where you find creatures. One thing I've never seen before on a dark ride like this is that you would lose points if you didn't kill a creature in time. It definitely made the ride more frantic. It was a unique idea and maybe what SeaWorld San Diego should have done to distract people from the nothingless on their Submarine Quest ride. I'll still take a normal shooter, but they already had that one floor above this ride. 5 out of 10

303800342_AdventureRides.thumb.jpg.627cac73fb963d53bc7cff0d3ef540e4.jpg

This ride just looked like Japan.

The park also boasted a VR dark ride. I personally didn't ride it due to the high price point and my personal disdain for VR, but a few in our group rode. And let me say this, it's probably the oddest VR dark ride I've seen. First, riders put on a paper mask, taking the momentary appearance of a geisha. Then they receive their headset. So it's a clever way to try and keep the headsets a little for sanitary.

The vehicle consisted of four open seats that would rumble and shake. The really odd part was that the vehicle was on a short track so it'd randomly move forwards and backwards to add an extra degree of freedom to the ride. In many ways, the ride vehicle reminded me of Gatlinburg’s Earthquake, which isn't exactly a comp rides want to have.

308254893_VRRide.thumb.jpg.be5865cc3f27b202d969560233e3b463.jpg

I can't say I've ever seen a VR simulator with pseudo coaster track.

None of the dark rides made me scream, but the flume sure did. Flume: Cliff Drop (as they call it) has an odd twist where riders score points based on how loud they scream on the final plunge. This leaderboard is on full display so it was a great sense of pride on our end to get on the leaderboard. Unlike Whose Line, the points did matter to us.

I was pretty shocked to see lap bars on this flume, but I quickly discovered why. After each lift, there's a downward sloped bit of track that lets the log build up a considerable amount of speed. So much speed that a few of the turns even offer weak laterals. The end result is that you fly over the ride’s two drops. The first didn't offer any airtime, but the large second drop sure did. And it wasn't even a small pop either, it was some legitimate floater airtime that makes a lot of coasters out there jealous. Then to those who aren't a fan of water, you can rest assured. I don't think a single drop even hit me.

We scored a measly 350, but I think our screams were genuine. We were not expecting for our keisters to leave the seat on this flume. Besides the drops, the flume had a very interesting setting. This flume winds around attractions and over/under pathways. Without a doubt, this was my favorite attraction at Cosmoworld and it's one of the better flumes out there. 9 out of 10

930905619_FlumeDrop.thumb.jpg.c2f670be6e0661495b8aa58439aa370c.jpg

I can't tell if most riders are screaming for fun or because of the surprising amount of airtime. Maybe it's both!

One other odd thing to note about Cosmoworld is that the park is separated by the river. Most of the adult rides like the Ferris wheel, Dive Coaster, and flume are on one-side of the river. The area across the river has a majority of the park’s kiddie rides plus a few extra flats and walkthroughs. To get between these areas, you have to leave park boundaries and walk along the street a la Morey's Piers.

Of course the primary reason I crossed the river was for the oddly named Family Banana Coaster. I wouldn't quite call this a kiddie coaster. It was the next step up since it was a bit taller and even had on-board audio of (what I believe to be) monkeys giggling. It was a tight fit for a long legged American, but the coaster was smooth albeit uneventful. 3 out of 10

523757449_FamilyBananaCoaster.thumb.jpg.e76864212da85b7707441e919df64ef8.jpg

What would otherwise be an uneventful kids coaster stands out (slightly) thanks to the screwy name and on-board audio.

Returning to the uniquely Japan attractions, I knew I needed to experience Dr. Edgar's House of Terror. I was already planning on hitting it since I'm a fan of these walkthrough haunts, but it became an absolute must when I saw that you have to carry an electronic candle with you that measures your fear. I couldn't even make that up if I tried.

I'm pretty sure the candle measures your fear by how much it shakes, so I deliberately tried to hold it straight. But at each turn, it felt like a weight was wobbling inside the candle which is why I think I scored a 6/10. The haunt mostly consisted of tricks more likely to be found on a tacky carnival dark ride, but they were more effective since I was walking by them as opposed to riding by them. Oh and there was one “scare” actor for good measure. I use scare lightly since the woman wasn't dressed up and just ran down a hallway screaming with her hands up If you want a well done haunt, go to Knott's or Universal. If you want something that's so odd and tacky that it's fun, Dr. Edgar is for you. 6 out of 10

523002046_Dr.Edgar.thumb.jpg.540591dbd8f24c77c8ed9c56d4e0d998.jpg

This doesn't hold a candle to the haunts at other parks, but it does make you hold a candle.

While thrill seekers are more likely to be lured in by Dive Coaster and the Flume, I think the park’s main draw is their colossal Ferris wheel, Cosmo Clock 21. The wheel itself is almost 350 feet tall and since it's located on top of a 4 story building, this has to be almost 400 feet above the water. It’s sheer size makes it a sight to behold in day, but it's truly breathtaking at night thanks to its expansive light package. That in itself is an attraction. Plus this ride is aptly named as it actually has a humongous digital clock on its face.

There were two queues to pick from. Thinking they were the same, I picked the one on the right. At first I thought we chose poorly since the other line loaded 9 vehicles to our queue's 1 vehicle, but I soon realized we waited for an all-clear car. That's certainly a frightening proposition on a wheel this large. Unfortunately due to the rain it wasn't quite crystal clear. It was more akin to a light fog. To improve the sightlines, the park did provide towels at least. That's something I don't think I'd ever see in America.

The sightlines were as impressive as expected. Beyond the aerial shots of the park (a few of which I've already attached), I was really able to appreciate how beautiful Yokohama is. Having that many glistening skyscrapers set along the water really is like something straight out of a dream. We got a single rotation, but on a wheel this large, that meant a 15 minute ride. 10 out of 10

314479040_CosmoClock.thumb.jpg.aac15db578291fb16d93a2c4b9e90879.jpg

Does anyone know what time it is?

1531648121_CosmoClock(Night2).thumb.jpg.93dc227a37e412da00bc828dbe919fae.jpg

The lighting package on the Ferris wheel was an attraction in itself.

I took a brief break from the rides, which is probably something I wouldn't have done if a pay-one-price were offered. This resulted in me finding two interesting arcade games. The first was a pogo stick racing game. The second was a horse racing game, which taught me I'd be a very abusive jockey. I accidentally pushed my horse too hard at the start so he eventually started whining. I kept pushing him harder with the finish line in sight and he ran out of gas like an angry taxi driver in New York City. I thought nice guys were supposed to finish last, not animal abusers?

919058850_Arcade-Horse.thumb.jpg.4d88a6029141b741783cb7f218a20899.jpg

This is why I'll never race in the Kentucky Derby.

Before leaving, I wanted rerides on Dive Coaster and the Flume. Earlier in the day, I noticed signs in the queue outlawing beer. What I didn't realize was the extent they'd go to in order to enforce this rule. Prior to boarding, every rider had to take and pass a breathalyzer. The operators literally handed us a yellow stick and instructed us to blow. I was wondering what the limit on this thing was, but apparently it was low enough that the two ahead of us in line failed. To our benefit, that got us the front row. The improved sightlines were welcome at night, but I definitely thought the coaster was a bit wilder in back.

1616168871_Vanish-Beer.thumb.jpg.b9bf7c8711b7de08d4f51b87e2f8b822.jpg

Guess there's no beer cup challenge on Vanish. I also hope you haven't had anything to drink because they gave all riders a breathalyzer before boarding.

Last but not least, I stretched my vocal cords and prepared for another go on the Flume. Instead of giving a masculine scream, I decided to hone a teenage girl's high-pitched shriek. As they'd say in Pokemon, it was super effective! We rocketed up to second place on the leaderboard with an impressive 717. All it cost was 700 yen, some of my dignity, and my voice for the next few days.

215189900_FlumeScore.thumb.jpg.671d18e65edb4ba40564055df129cc33.jpg

2nd highest score of the day!

Yokohama Cosmoworld really was a unique park. The setting alone makes it noteworthy, but when you add in the mix of unique rides and attractions, it definitely warrants a stop if you're in the Tokyo area. I just wish they had a pay-one-price since the tickets rack up quickly if you experience all the dark rides and walkthroughs. But as I said on this trip, “when in Japan.”

1947958233_CosmoClock(Night).thumb.jpg.6357571568f6506cbbf0a76670572a34.jpg

Have I said how awesome Cosmoworld looks at night?

I’m also going to work in the culture bits as I churn through these reports. A short train ride away from our first hotel was Shibuya, basically Tokyo’s equivalent of Times Square. It was one of those places that was nice to see, but not somewhere I need to rush back to.

Shibuya.thumb.jpg.13b155a10a18af9d9d0289d1806f0fa6.jpg

Where's Waldo?

Excellent report from what looks to be a fantastic TPR Japan trip! I really need to get out there someday, Japan looks so awesome.

I knew Yokohama Cosmoworld from its famous Dive Coaster Vanish and the screaming log flume, but it is good to see the other rides this park has to offer. The dark rides are certainly very unique.

Thanks! I just knew about the coasters, screaming flume, and massive ferris wheel going in so it was exciting to find so many walkthroughs and dark rides. Most of the parks we visited tended to have a few of these, which was one of the many perks of visiting Japan.

^That spinning mouse closes whenever there is even a slight chance for rain. It was closed on our visit, and has been closed probably half the time we've been to that park. Like you said, at a park with as many interesting rides as Cosmoworld, you really don't miss it!