TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I think I did this about 3 times that day when we did TPR day at SFDK, and was a fresh credit for me. It was a fun ride and all but I'm glad I didn't get myself too attached to it to begin 'missing it' like I do Invertigo. I could swear this thing looked more red when I went...maybe because it was overcast when I rode it.

Can't wait to see Superman: Ultimate Queue begin construction

For the future attractions, these are some compact, smaller, under 150' rides that can be part of SFDK easily:

-Small Drop Tower (S&S, Zamperla)

-Intamin Half-Pipe Coaster

-S&S El Loco (Can be advertised as steepest drop in the US, or the World)

-Intamin Spinning Star

-Zamperla Rotoshake

These are a few attractions I can see in the future, of course there are many products that can be built at SFDK that I haven't stated.

While the roto-shake provides a decent thrill I don't think SFI would add one to their parks after the maintenance problems SFA had with iron eagle.

For the future attractions, these are some compact, smaller, under 150' rides that can be part of SFDK easily:

-Small Drop Tower (S&S, Zamperla)

-Intamin Half-Pipe Coaster

-S&S El Loco (Can be advertised as steepest drop in the US, or the World)

-Intamin Spinning Star

-Zamperla Rotoshake

These are a few attractions I can see in the future, of course there are many products that can be built at SFDK that I haven't stated.

While the roto-shake provides a decent thrill I don't think SFI would add one to their parks after the maintenance problems SFA had with iron eagle.

Yeah, and with all the maintenance problems Roto-shake's seem to have, I'm surprised that Zamperla still makes them.

With that aside, I think something like an El loco would really add to the parks collection of rides as well as a S&S tower. BTW, do you think that the space that the Iwerks theater takes up would be big enough to fit a dark ride? I would love to see one there!

Can't wait to see Superman: Ultimate Queue begin construction

BTW, do you think that the space that the Iwerks theater takes up would be big enough to fit a dark ride? I would love to see one there!

I haven't been in that building for years, but as it is, I don't think it's big enough. However, the space itself with the outdoor queue where all the dinosaurs were would be big enough. I'm not a huge fan of dark rides, but I think it'd be super cool to have one of those coasters that are partially indoors, partially outdoors with good theming.

Speaking of dinosaurs BTW... are all of those long-since trashed, or are they still around in storage somewhere?

Also, I was looking on the SFDK Facebook page, and I couldn't find the post with the pic of Pandemonium deconstruction. Do you think they took it off the site because too many GP complaints?

BTW, do you think that the space that the Iwerks theater takes up would be big enough to fit a dark ride? I would love to see one there!

I haven't been in that building for years, but as it is, I don't think it's big enough. However, the space itself with the outdoor queue where all the dinosaurs were would be big enough. I'm not a huge fan of dark rides, but I think it'd be super cool to have one of those coasters that are partially indoors, partially outdoors with good theming.

Speaking of dinosaurs BTW... are all of those long-since trashed, or are they still around in storage somewhere?

Also, I was looking on the SFDK Facebook page, and I couldn't find the post with the pic of Pandemonium deconstruction. Do you think they took it off the site because too many GP complaints?

IWerks is definitely big enough for a small Dark ride, but would require some pretty extensive work to accommodate it. Also, though the park has made strides in quality over the past few years, I don't think they would be able to sustain a dark ride and it would likely fall into disrepair pretty quickly.

Those dinos are long since trashed. The T-Rex sat in the area where the warehouses are for a long time but was in awful shape, I think they eventually tossed it.

I also noticed the picture was gone, the only thing I could guess is that the photo was taken from the lift hill. Maybe there was something against being up on a structure that's being disassembled? The park's safety manager is pretty anal and may have had issues with that, but I honestly am only speculating on this.

Those dinos are long since trashed. The T-Rex sat in the area where the warehouses are for a long time but was in awful shape, I think they eventually tossed it.

I was more referring to the stationary ones; the ones, I thought, from the original 90s exhibit. Last time I saw them, they were in really bad disrepair, but I think those ones could have been saved if they were moved somewhere better and maybe patched up a bit in the future.

I've never gone in this... but doesn't SFMM have a little park history exhibit at the top of that sky-tower thing? SFDK probably trashed the dinos, but they should have saved at least one of the smaller ones for something like that.

P.S.... I like your avatar.

I was more referring to the stationary ones; the ones, I thought, from the original 90s exhibit. Last time I saw them, they were in really bad disrepair, but I think those ones could have been saved if they were moved somewhere better and maybe patched up a bit in the future.

I've never gone in this... but doesn't SFMM have a little park history exhibit at the top of that sky-tower thing? SFDK probably trashed the dinos, but they should have saved at least one of the smaller ones for something like that.

P.S.... I like your avatar.

I was referring to the smaller ones as well. Those got trashed almost immediately, only the T-Rex lasted for a while before it was toss (I think) too.

SFDK has a little museum of their own in Explorer Outpost but it was never heavily advertised and I think it's mostly just pictures.

P.S.... Thanks, I operated it both years it was at the park and was pretty fond of that thing.

^The "museum" in Explorer's Outpost is mostly pictures, but it is cool to see how the park has changed over the years. It goes all the way back to the Marine World Africa USA days. I've never taken enough time to walk through and really look at all of the pictures, but what I saw was pretty cool.

Anyone else planning to go to Superman's opening day? I'm planning to go and wait in line as long as I have to. I did the same for Tony Hawk. I figure that I've been on everything else so many times that I might as well wait in line for the new ride.

^Opening day, no, but I really don't care how long I'll have to wait when I do go. With three coasters I don't really care for and three I like that have near-clones elsewhere, I doubt I'll be too anxious to ride anything else.

I agree with you... My thought's are that Superman will take a while to load because according to their animated video their station is pretty small and I don't think they'll be able to pack a lot of trains in there (IMO of course...) but oh well I'll have to see when I go.. and I won't really care how long I'll wait too, since the park doesn't have much to offer..

I won't really care how long I'll wait too, since the park doesn't have much to offer..

Sorry, but I have to call you out here.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has a HUGE portfolio of attractions. Yes, it may not have the biggest and bestest coaster collection, but the park has SO much more to offer than you give it credit for.

It really is three experiences in one, Marine Life Park, Zoo, and Amusement Park. If you go into the park focused on just the coasters, you're not going to get even close to the true experience of the park.

Really for me, SFDK really is a very good triple header: three very different experiences put together in a single park.

The park appeals to a very wide range of people, moreso than a normal SF park. And frankly, I think the animal exhibits are better than 90% of the rides. Skipping over them is a crime, especially when you consider SFDK started with just the animals.

Anyone else planning to go to Superman's opening day? I'm planning to go and wait in line as long as I have to. I did the same for Tony Hawk. I figure that I've been on everything else so many times that I might as well wait in line for the new ride.

I am! If I can. Maybe we can wait in line together?

I've never gone opening day for anything, and SFDK is my home park and this is the first major coaster addition since.... like, Zonga (if you even count that, since it wasn't new). I'll just have to figure out something I can do in line to keep myself occupied. Maybe I can ask my brother if I can restart his Pokemon game on the DS?

I won't really care how long I'll wait too, since the park doesn't have much to offer..

Sorry, but I have to call you out here.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has a HUGE portfolio of attractions. Yes, it may not have the biggest and bestest coaster collection, but the park has SO much more to offer than you give it credit for.

It really is three experiences in one, Marine Life Park, Zoo, and Amusement Park. If you go into the park focused on just the coasters, you're not going to get even close to the true experience of the park.

Really for me, SFDK really is a very good triple header: three very different experiences put together in a single park.

The park appeals to a very wide range of people, moreso than a normal SF park. And frankly, I think the animal exhibits are better than 90% of the rides. Skipping over them is a crime, especially when you consider SFDK started with just the animals.

I have to agree with you, it's attractions are GREAT... but I was just referring to coasters in general, and I love it's Marine Life Park and Zoo as well... This is also one of my favorite SF parks, since it has a lot of things that the whole family can enjoy... but (again) I was just referring to it's coasters in general, but yo do have a point

I am! If I can. Maybe we can wait in line together?

I've never gone opening day for anything, and SFDK is my home park and this is the first major coaster addition since.... like, Zonga (if you even count that, since it wasn't new). I'll just have to figure out something I can do in line to keep myself occupied. Maybe I can ask my brother if I can restart his Pokemon game on the DS?

I'm going to S:UF on opening day. The last time Nor Cal got something close to this size was Zonga back in 2003.

In the past I've found I can easily spend a day at the park, with light to moderate crowds, with or without animals. But I'm not sure how that might change now that I've ridden more than one of each of the coaster types there, and the ones at SFDK aren't necessarily my favorites. (Specifically...Medusa is still my favorite floorless by far, although I suppose the margin could decrease in the future. And V2 is just about my favorite Twisted Impulse; I prefer having a holding brake, but the angled front spike is more interesting in all seats than the typical vertical ones.)

I'm usually not into going to a park opening day (especially when a new ride opens) due to ridiculous crowds. However, if a mini TPR meet-up happens, I'd be up to it. It would be cool to meet some of you. Who's up to gate-crashing with me?

I'm up for a mini TPR meet-up!

It depends, if it opens on a school day(like sky screamer), forget it! But if it opens on a weekend were I can get to the park an hour early, then yes.

It depends, if it opens on a school day(like sky screamer), forget it! But if it opens on a weekend were I can get to the park an hour early, then yes.

Opening Day for SFDK is March 17, a Saturday. The only time in the Spring that SFDK is open on weekdays is April 2 - 6 & April 9 - 13 and the Fridays after that.

Who eles want ERT on S:UF?

Now, how da heck are we going to get ERT?

Since we don't know when Superman will open, a mini TPR meet-up in opening day makes much more sense.

Opening Day for SFDK is March 17, a Saturday. The only time in the Spring that SFDK is open on weekdays is April 2 - 6 & April 9 - 13 and the Fridays after that.

Who eles want ERT on S:UF?

Now, how da heck are we going to get ERT?

If you saw the post that I quoted, its pretty obvious I was talking about the opening of Superman, not the park. And, most SF parks open there new attractions around May/June, not April.