TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

-Also, this one person told me that a Six Flags employee told him that Boomerang will be removed next year.

This is a rumor and I hope that particular employee doesn't know what he is talking about (which probably is going to happen ). Though, we should still look at this as a rumor.

And this person told this person who heard it from that person who saw it on a sign by the freeway that was installed by an ex employee of Dippin' Dots who used to work at the food court at the mall who heard it from a customer.......

We do what we can, that gum wall can spawn in one day if it's busy It only takes one person to start it.

And lastly while it may LOOK like Boomerang is going away, that team member is misinformed, it's being upgraded to a super sideways spinning flying through a hoop of fire Togo. Silly Team Member, but don't tell anyone it's a secret

^^

Honestly, if any of the current coasters go in the next few years, I'd rather have it be Boomerang. People joke a lot about scrapping Kong, but IMO Kong is a decent ride whereas Boomerang...

However, I think next year is still far too soon to hear rumors about removing coasters. There are still lots of places to put new attractions... *cough* IWERKS theater *cough*

So, I went to SFDK on 1/1, yes it was 4 days ago, though these are my highlights:

-It was very windy that day and it just happened that Medusa's first drop goes against the wind, so the speed of the wind was higher than normal, but not the speed of the ride of course.

-It was interesting on Sky Screamer with the wind because when it went against the wind, the wind speed was very high and when you turned 180 degrees until you are with the wind, then there is almost no wind at all.

-Pandemonium had a really long line, so I didn't even try it out on it's last day. Usually I would, but this is a small coaster, so it really doesn't matter much.

-They only ran one circuit on Cobra.

(Also, about the Boomerang removal incident, I think the employee thought it would be removed because the trains were under re-hab)

I really doubt they'd remove Boomerang considering it's one of the main supporting rides near the back of the park and helps disperse show crowds.

Big Spin was a popular ride, but yet they took it out. And even if the park was to take out boomerang, you could fit something pretty big if your were to use land of Boomerang and the Iwerks theater.

And even if the park was to take out boomerang, you could fit something pretty big if your were to use land of Boomerang and the Iwerks theater.

*High five!*

I'm so with you there. People who say SFDK does not have room for an awesome new coaster are wrong. They make it look smaller on the park maps but if you go to the park and really look at the area, they could fit something nice there.

The height restriction still sucks, but they probably could use the terrain to their advantage in this case.

^ Considering that the Iwerks theater is already there on a considerably steep hillside and established, plus the fact that they use it for a large chunk of a haunt maze during Halloween, and they mentioned during Bay Area Bash that they had plans for the theater.

At this point I do not see another coaster removal, especially not Boomerang because of its location logistically for crowd dispersal.

I'd be more ready to venture out and say that they plan to update the Iwerks theater in someway, make it more efficient and reliable (most likely replacing a large chunk of the ride system) while keeping the building intact. In this way, the upgraded system with a new film (most likely 3D ) can be advertised as a brand new attraction for the whole family.

The attraction can also help further disperse the crowds following the dolphin and orca show performances when that area of the park is packed to the brim with people.

Also, during Halloween time, they can still transform the attraction into a haunt maze. It makes much more sense money wise and logic wise to keep the Iwerks theater, upgrade it, market it as a new attraction to divert crowds to prevent show overcrowding etc.

And considering that the park is getting a new coaster, as bad as the capacity may be, next year, I don't think we'll be seeing another new "thrill" ride until the rumored second big SF park investment wave which was rumored to hit around 2014-2015.

^You're probably right, seeing as it's taken them so long to get a new big coaster and they just got the Sky Screamer, we probably will be seeing more animal attractions or kids attractions (God forbid) in the next few years rather than thrill rides, but it doesn't hurt to hope.

They probably shouldn't remove another coaster for a long time, but if they did, I want it to be Boomerang and that space + the iwerks theater would be a great spot for something new.

I really think they should tear down the iwerks theater or move it. If the height limit gets smaller closer to the lake, they could put a theater over near the lake, which would add a little flavor to the deadness at the back of the park, and the spot where the theater is now could be freed up for a thrill ride in the future. They probably could figure out a way to have the queue for the ride let out in Oasis Plaza, so we'd have Kong + Medusa + Sky Screamer + this ride all in one place.

This is all probably an idealistic perspective on it, but I can file it away in my brain along with the walkway between the Roar/V2/Superman side of the park and Oasis Plaza. Anyone else really hate having to walk so far between the coasters? It would probably be way too cost-ineffective and difficult but I always try to imagine a bridge between the two.

^The separation between the two main coaster areas at SFDK has always felt a bit odd to me. Even though they're actually pretty close, they feel so distant from each other due to the effort it takes to walk from one to the other.

Also, it seems like I always get lost looking for Boomerang, since it's tucked away among of group of lowly flats. I didn't even get the credit the first time I visited, as I'd forgotten about it and didn't even see it while I was there.

They probably shouldn't remove another coaster for a long time, but if they did, I want it to be Boomerang and that space + the iwerks theater would be a great spot for something new.

This is all probably an idealistic perspective on it, but I can file it away in my brain along with the walkway between the Roar/V2/Superman side of the park and Oasis Plaza. Anyone else really hate having to walk so far between the coasters? It would probably be way too cost-ineffective and difficult but I always try to imagine a bridge between the two.

Well, even if they where to just removed one and not the other, they could still fit a pretty big flat or a compact coaster like a Zacspin into ether one of those spots.

As for the bridge thing, its cool idea but if you look at the park from any map, you would see that any place where you could put a bridge ether-

Blocked by a ride or show

In a back stage/ storage area

To far away to save you any walking

And besides, the walk from the entrance to the Roar/V2 really isn't that far.

As for the bridge thing, its cool idea but if you look at the park from any map, you would see that any place where you could put a bridge ether-

Blocked by a ride or show

In a back stage/ storage area

To far away to save you any walking

And besides, the walk from the entrance to the Roar/V2 really isn't that far.

It feels far. But maybe because SFDK is my home park and not some place like SFMM that's even more spread out?

I know it'd be really far-fetched and probably the last thing on their list of "things to do" right before "BBQ Shouka" and "Tear out Medusa", but it'd still be cool if they found a way to connect those two ends of the park.

I would love to see a bridge built over the tram drop off area, but I think the bridge would get clogged up with people, plus you've got all kinds of accessibility issues concerning ramps versus stairs. It's just not worth the money. It would also be an eye sore as you come up to the front gate... Now that there is more to do and see in between the entrance and Roar/V2/Superman it is actually faster to get through that area. It used to take for ever because I was always stuck behind a very slow group of people...

I don't see any new roller coasters coming to SFDK, unless it's a family coaster and even that is unlikely. I would like to see a new flat/thrill ride in the park, but I think they would have to remove something to add it...

As far as the Ski Stadium goes, I really don't understand why they are not using it for anything except for special events. I wish they would find some use for it, but I also don't have any ideas for what they should do.

I would like to see the Iwerks theater being used again. It's a great attraction on warm days because of the air conditioning and it can hold a lot of people in the queue and in the show.

There's my two cents.

I think the main reason they don't use the lake stadium for anything besides special concerts is because of noise complaints from neighbors.

Would a show on that lake make THAT much noise, I can just barely hear events that they do there from the parking lot.

Im pretty sure that distance is just as close, if not closer than any of the neighbors. And besides, does this park need another year round show? They already have 8 or 9 if I'm not mistaken.

For the future attractions, these are some compact, smaller, under 150' rides that can be part of SFDK easily:

-Small Drop Tower (S&S, Zamperla)

-Intamin Half-Pipe Coaster

-S&S El Loco (Can be advertised as steepest drop in the US, or the World)

-Intamin Spinning Star

-Zamperla Rotoshake

These are a few attractions I can see in the future, of course there are many products that can be built at SFDK that I haven't stated.