TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Hey, I am about an hour and a half drive from the park, so I can't just make a random trip out there... I got my 2013 extreme pass at the end of 2012, and I was hoping someone could possibly give me a rundown on what coupons are in the coupon book this year? What day's are the bring a friend free coupons, or any other admission discounts.

Thanks alot!

Hey, I am about an hour and a half drive from the park, so I can't just make a random trip out there... I got my 2013 extreme pass at the end of 2012, and I was hoping someone could possibly give me a rundown on what coupons are in the coupon book this year? What day's are the bring a friend free coupons, or any other admission discounts.

Thanks alot!

--Bring a friend half price, Sundays in April

--Bring a friend half price, Fridays in June

--Bring a friend free Monday through Friday June 3-27

--Bring a friend $20 on August 16

--Bring a friend free Monday through Thursday August 12-15

--Bring a friend $15 on Mother's day (May 12)

--Bring a friend $20 off Memorial Day

--Bring a friend $20 on Father's day, June 16

--Bring a friend $20 off any operating day (5 coupons)

--Bring a friend $15 on September 1st

--Bring a friend half price on Saturday Sept 7, 14 or 21

--Bring a friend $20 off during Fright Fest

--Bring a friend half price during FF opening weekend

--Bring a friend $20 off during HiP

--Bring a friend $20 during HiP

I wouldn't hold my breath on a 3rd train at Medusa. With the extended calendar to include Holiday in the Park, they rotate train rehabs so there are always at least 2 trains. It's much more likely that if one train is about to go into operation, another is about to leave.

This could be different than when I was working at the park, but I don't see why it would have changed.

Thanks alot!

--Bring a friend half price, Sundays in April

--Bring a friend half price, Fridays in June

--Bring a friend free Monday through Friday June 3-27

--Bring a friend $20 on August 16

--Bring a friend free Monday through Thursday August 12-15

--Bring a friend $15 on Mother's day (May 12)

--Bring a friend $20 off Memorial Day

--Bring a friend $20 on Father's day, June 16

--Bring a friend $20 off any operating day (5 coupons)

--Bring a friend $15 on September 1st

--Bring a friend half price on Saturday Sept 7, 14 or 21

--Bring a friend $20 off during Fright Fest

--Bring a friend half price during FF opening weekend

--Bring a friend $20 off during HiP

--Bring a friend $20 during HiP

Thanks a lot, I actually found a link to the list on the sfdk site on the season pass page.

So... Has anyone figured out how the gold pass early entry works? Back when I bought mine they were advertising select days, but I can't find any details, and now it just says "VIP early entry before other guests" would be nice to know how early... And what days if not every day...

I wouldn't hold my breath on a 3rd train at Medusa. With the extended calendar to include Holiday in the Park, they rotate train rehabs so there are always at least 2 trains. It's much more likely that if one train is about to go into operation, another is about to leave.

This could be different than when I was working at the park, but I don't see why it would have changed.

Oh yeah I don't think we'll see them running a three train operation, Im just happy train #3 is in use.

So... Has anyone figured out how the gold pass early entry works? Back when I bought mine they were advertising select days, but I can't find any details, and now it just says "VIP early entry before other guests" would be nice to know how early... And what days if not every day...
Yes, the gold entry gets you into Oasis Plaza (Kong & Medusa) 10 or 15 minutes (its not the same every day) before the official park opening. There won't always be signage, but go talk to the employee holding the rope, they will check your pass and let you in when the time comes. You can then go get in line before the GP, but from there it depends on when they finish testing the ride. When I was there last week, I was able to get one ride each on Medusa and then Kong before they opened the rope to the GP.

Unfortunately this is only for Oasis Plaza, they do not to early entry for Sea (SUF/Roar/V2), although Sea does seem to get more Gold Pass ERT sessions, so it kind of balances out.

Went to the park for the first time and I loved the park! Very clean and the employees seemed very nice. Standout coaster there was definitely Medusa!! Superman was fun but dang the capacity in the summer months is probably unbearable. Mind Eraser was terrible - almost as bad as the SLC at Canada's Wonderland.

Went to the park for the first time and I loved the park! Very clean and the employees seemed very nice. Standout coaster there was definitely Medusa!! Superman was fun but dang the capacity in the summer months is probably unbearable. Mind Eraser was terrible - almost as bad as the SLC at Canada's Wonderland.

It would seem that way, and if it was at SFMM it probably would be, but the Superman crew at SFDK always always does an outstanding job getting the fastest dispatches possible. On most summer days the wait usually doesnt get over 30-45 minutes unless it's something out of control like Key Club day or bring a friend free day or something. By mind eraser I assume you mean Kong..there's a reason it's slogan is "There is no escape"

I'm going to be visiting the park much later in the year, and I haven't been there since 2004! Can anyone give me some advice in terms of beating the lines? I'd like to find out which rides have single rider lines, and which rides have hours of the day where they're less busy. Thanks in advance for any tips!

I'm going to be visiting the park much later in the year, and I haven't been there since 2004! Can anyone give me some advice in terms of beating the lines? I'd like to find out which rides have single rider lines, and which rides have hours of the day where they're less busy. Thanks in advance for any tips!

There are no formal single rider lines, but when Superman is busy, ride ops will pop out of the exit (which is right next to the entrance in front of the que switchbacks) and ask for single riders and take you out of line and in through the exit to put you on the train that is currently loading.

I've found Sundays to be the best for short lines (at least when the park isnt open weekdays) and the first 2 or 3 hours in the morning are the best. I went to the park a couple weeks ago when they opened at 10:30 and had all six coasters ridden by noon. Getting there before the park opens is definitely the best way to beat the lines. If you have a Gold pass for another Six Flags park, you can get into Oasis Plaza (where Kong and Medusa are) about 10 minutes early.

If you have to go on a busy day like a Saturday in Summer, fast pass is definitely worth it. There usually aren't very many people using FP and they work on all coasters, so you can pretty much walk onto anything with a 1 or 2 train wait.

BTW..definitely try to ride Superman in both row 1 and row 6. They don't normally let you pick your row, so you might have to ride a few times but it's worth it. Row 1 gives you a spectacular view of the heartline roll and row 6 gives you some great ejector air.

^ Well sure any day could be crowded when a group shows up, but I'm saying that Sundays are less crowded than other days with all other things being equal.

On that subject, Key Club day this year is Saturday October 19th. Avoid that day at all costs.

If you can hold off until after the summer, then that's the best way to beat the crowds. Sundays in September are pretty manageable, with Sundays in October being even better (just be sure to check the calendar for special events, which can drive up crowds substantially). The best, though, is to go on Sundays during Winter in the Park (December). As long as it's not during the week of Christmas/New Year, then you should have a ghost town of a park all to yourself. I personally will likely not go to the park until after Labor Day. I'd rather wait through the summer and have the park to myself than go during summer and wait in long lines all day.

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately, I can't hold off until after summer this year. I'm an expert line-dodger at Magic Mountain, so we'll see how I do at Discovery Kingdom...

Are you certain that the unofficial single rider line works for Superman? I don't want to just be standing there like an idiot!

In other news, why is this topic so inactive compared to the Magic Mountain thread? There's something about SFMM's thread that just always causes controversy I guess...

In other news, why is this topic so inactive compared to the Magic Mountain thread? There's something about SFMM's thread that just always causes controversy I guess...

Well, SFMM is a much larger park than SFDK...

Are you certain that the unofficial single rider line works for Superman? I don't want to just be standing there like an idiot!
There isn't a single rider "line", the ride ops will just pop out when needed to ask for single riders as you are waiting in the normal que. If you are a single rider and they ask, you just pop your hand up and they will ask you to get out of line and go up the exit. Here's a photo:

1417750104_3704superman.thumb.jpg.f79d24720e2a9462460f6ad8c3756056.jpg

The left door is the normal entrance, the right door is the panic exit and flash pass entrance. The first switchback zig zags back and forth in front of the station. If an op comes out the right door and asks for single riders and you volunteer, you just get out of line and go through the gate in the small black chain link fence and into the right door. If they don't ask, theyre not taking single riders. They only normally do it when the ride is busy, when the line is at least to the end of the first set of switchbacks.

I'll confirm what singemfrc said, the ride does indeed take single riders. I've done it many times, and it's a great time saver. Like singemfrc said, they only take single riders if the line is long, and, additionally, if there are empty seats. If it's a long line and they're taking single riders, but every group ahead of you consists of an even number of riders, then that's bad luck and they won't request single riders. However, the chances of a long line and no empty seats is slim. Just stand in line and keep your eyes on the door. The second a ride op comes out and requests a single rider, hold up your hand and identify yourself. I've gotten multiple rides before the person I originally queued behind even got on. It's a definite perk to being alone at the park. Have fun!

I'll confirm what singemfrc said, the ride does indeed take single riders. I've done it many times, and it's a great time saver. Like singemfrc said, they only take single riders if the line is long, and, additionally, if there are empty seats. If it's a long line and they're taking single riders, but every group ahead of you consists of an even number of riders, then that's bad luck and they won't request single riders. However, the chances of a long line and no empty seats is slim. Just stand in line and keep your eyes on the door. The second a ride op comes out and requests a single rider, hold up your hand and identify yourself. I've gotten multiple rides before the person I originally queued behind even got on. It's a definite perk to being alone at the park. Have fun!

That's definitely the way to do it.

Does Roar still have one train operations?

Does Roar still have one train operations?

The last few times I've been to the park Roar has been on one train operations all day with no other train in sight.

Good Day Sacramento is at the park this morning, Marcus Allen is marathoning Hammerhead non stop, he's supposed to stay on it until 9am. I heard he was marathoning Boomerang before that..he must really love pain!

They may put the video up on www.gooddaysacramento.com, theyre still broadcasting live right now.