TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Playland's Castaway Cove Discussion Thread

The webcam seems to be working again and the Miler looks almost done. Cant tell if the station is done for it yet as its off-camera, but they've certainly gotten a lot completed around the Gale Force station. Maybe we do have hope for a brief 2016 opening.

Since Wildwood weekend is abso-f**king-lutely happening again next year we're so hitting this on the way home.

• 2 weeks later...
The webcam seems to be working again and the Miler looks almost done. Cant tell if the station is done for it yet as its off-camera, but they've certainly gotten a lot completed around the Gale Force station. Maybe we do have hope for a brief 2016 opening.

Running out of time. Our luck it will be Labor Day weekend & I'd rather not be down there that weekend lol.

Running out of time. Our luck it will be Labor Day weekend & I'd rather not be down there that weekend lol.

That's a shame you won't be around to see it next year However, if you are on your suffering from a terminal illness, the park is open for the 5 weekends after Labor Day

I didn't know Miler was still a company until a few days ago.

Same here, I thought they went belly-up a long time ago....

If they're still around, then I'm surprised they haven't pulled a Zierer and make their debut on the big coaster market.

If they're still around, then I'm surprised they haven't pulled a Zierer and make their debut on the big coaster market.

I think people remember Miler going belly-up when it never did is an example of something called the Mandela Effect.

I think people remember Miler going belly-up when it never did is an example of something called the Mandela Effect.

You mean like The Berenstein Bears vs. The BerenSTAIN Bears? I swear when I was a kid it was the Berenstein Bears.

Zierer vs Miler is actually an interesting comparison. Miler built a coaster nearly to the scale of Impulse, Verbolten, Wicked, etc. over 20 years ago. But instead of completely starting from scratch with the design, they simply scaled up their kiddy coaster design with the funky c-beam track. The result looks wonderfully terrifying and is absolutely on my coaster bucket list. But it didn't really catch on, or allow Miler to grow into a bigger company.

Zierer, on the other hand, moved in the direction of more expensive, refined, sturdy designs instead of scaling up Flitzers or Tivolis. This seems to have allowed to them to grow as a company and win bigger contracts more frequently.

To get back on topic, I'm surprised the consensus on Gale Force + Miler is "ugly". I think the "mess" of supports looks awesome. Can't wait for the project to finish up. I'll probably do an Atlantic City/Ocean City trip next year as I've never been.

Zierer vs Miler is actually an interesting comparison. Miler built a coaster nearly to the scale of Impulse, Verbolten, Wicked, etc. over 20 years ago. But instead of completely starting from scratch with the design, they simply scaled up their kiddy coaster design with the funky c-beam track. The result looks wonderfully terrifying and is absolutely on my coaster bucket list. But it didn't really catch on, or allow Miler to grow into a bigger company.

Zierer, on the other hand, moved in the direction of more expensive, refined, sturdy designs instead of scaling up Flitzers or Tivolis. This seems to have allowed to them to grow as a company and win bigger contracts more frequently.

To get back on topic, I'm surprised the consensus on Gale Force + Miler is "ugly". I think the "mess" of supports looks awesome. Can't wait for the project to finish up. I'll probably do an Atlantic City/Ocean City trip next year as I've never been.

What is this large miler you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this large miler you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's Scandia Screamer, I might be wrong though.

It is the Scandia Screamer, at a Scandia Family Fun Park in Ontario, CA. I've driven by this coaster many times on our way to Knott's and Disneyland, but I've never taken the time to stop there. I've actually been hesitant to ride it because it looks like it's going to fall apart. There's a trip report on TPR somewhere from this Scandia. Here's the link on RCDB: https://rcdb.com/399.htm

Edited by VegasBaby

Miler would probably be much better known as a coaster manufacturer had they dropped the C-beam style track by the mid 2000s and instead done something more on the lines of a Premier-style track or an Intamin/Gerstlauer/Zierer style track.

Then, they'd have a chance to be in the same ballpark as Gerstlauer, Premier, Maurer, or possibly even S&S depending on the developments.