TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Three Mistakes

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^SFStL says thanks for the Giant Evolution. One of three ever built.

It runs pretty well here; maybe you should check it out.

Another park: SFOG

1. Removing Deja Vu

2. Taking our hyper

3. Removing Viper, the Schwarfkopf shuttle loop

Anybody know what happened to Greezed Lightnin' after Premier lost SFKK?

^SFStL says thanks for the Giant Evolution. One of three ever built.

It runs pretty well here; maybe you should check it out.

Another park: SFOG

1. Removing Deja Vu

2. Taking our hyper

3. Removing Viper, the Schwarfkopf shuttle loop

Anybody know what happened to Greezed Lightnin' after Premier lost SFKK?

Greezed Lightnin' was still in the park when it closed. KK demo'd it before/around reopening.

Time for some UK parks, so how about Thorpe

1. Installing Storm Surge - It looks crap and rides crap, a better family attraction could've been installed

2. Ignoring that the park lacks family flats - The park changed it's marketing to a family audience, whilst majorly lacking family rides/coasters/flats... smart move Thorpe, smart move...

3. Not caring for colossus - The park has let their first major coaster decline majorly in quality, thankfully they're now repainting it, but god does it need Intamins new lap bar trains

*BONUS*

Considering the WC16 project is likely to be some form of trackless dark ride here's a bonus one for the future

4. Not installing an indoor Premier coaster reminiscent of The Mummy as their 2016 installation

So help me understand this... according to this thread:

Cedar Point is ruined because they replaced their log flume with one of the best coasters in the world and their crappy bobsled ride in the ugliest building ever constructed with a wing coaster that everyone who's not an enthusiast loves and did higher ridership numbers than anything in the park.

No, Cedar Point is significantly less enjoyable not ruined, because they removed their two best dark rides and replaced them with literally nothing, removed an awesome boat ride and replaced it with a bunch of stupid dinosaurs, and removed Space Spiral which practically took up no room when Gatekeeper could have easily been designed around it.

So help me understand this... according to this thread:

Cedar Point is ruined because they replaced their log flume with one of the best coasters in the world and their crappy bobsled ride in the ugliest building ever constructed with a wing coaster that everyone who's not an enthusiast loves and did higher ridership numbers than anything in the park.

No, Cedar Point is significantly less enjoyable not ruined, because the removed their two best dark rides and replaced them with literally nothing, removed an awesome boat ride and replaced it with a bunch of stupid dinosaurs, and removed Space Spiral with practically took up no room when Gatekeeper could have easily been designed around it.

If California's Great America can build a roller coaster around their observation deck tower, Why couldn't Cedar Point keep Space Spiral and build Gatekeeper around it? By the way Cedar Point has kind of a "bad habit" of replacing flume rides with great coasters, which resulted in a loss of two flume rides, Mill Race for Raptor and White Water Landing for Maverick, but still Cedar Point needs a "real" family coaster for the under 48" crowd.

...great coasters, which resulted in a loss of two flume rides, Mill Race for Raptor and White Water Landing for Maverick, but still Cedar Point needs a "real" family coaster for the under 48" crowd.

What are you talking about, They just built Pipe Scream Roller Coaster. That has a 42" Height Requirement.

I am not kidding, They list that as a roller coaster https://www.cedarpoint.com/things-to-do/roller-coasters

If California's Great America can build a roller coaster around their observation deck tower, Why couldn't Cedar Point keep Space Spiral and build Gatekeeper around it? By the way Cedar Point has kind of a "bad habit" of replacing flume rides with great coasters, which resulted in a loss of two flume rides, Mill Race for Raptor and White Water Landing for Maverick, but still Cedar Point needs a "real" family coaster for the under 48" crowd.

Did you ever ride Space Spiral in its final years? You could hardly see out of the windows they were badly scratched up and the fact that the cabin didn't have any air conditioning made for a very uncomfortable ride on hot days. I miss the ride but given the shape it was in those last years it was the right thing to do (plus the implosion was very cool).

They also built a water ride - Shoot The Rapids - so it's not like they didn't forget to replace White Water Landing.

Nobody for Kings Island yet? Maybe it simply doesn't have three strikes. Here goes nothing

1. Removing Son of Beast (especially since it was right before RMC became a thing. Not that Cedar Fair would give it a makeover or anything, but seriously, Son of Son of Beast could have been AWESOME)

2. Adding seat belts to Diamondback

3. Turning the Backwards Racer around

But they have their reasons, that cannot be denied. I think these strikes can be cancelled by

1. Building Banshee

2. Building Diamondback to overshadow Son of Beast before its demise

3. Being the greatest park in the world I don't care what you say its my home

I could think of three "mistakes" for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

1. The rumor of the area where Superman: Ultimate Flight is now being "cursed"

2. Marketing a Super Loop ride as a roller coaster (this one is for Six Flags in general)

3. Getting rid of killer whales and elephants

Kentucky Kingdom

1. Not installing V2/Superman: Ultimate Escape as originally intended.

2. Not creating a full circle from the Belgian Village to Northwest Territory, all the way around to where Top Eliminator Dragsters still sits, letting Mile High Falls and Twisted Twins sit in an increasingly harder to find area. (Apparently some people couldnt see past the restrooms or the foliage.)

3. Removing the tall trees on the original side that provided shade on scorching hot days.

Kings Dominion:

i think ever since CF bought the park, it's generally been very much on the right track. i dont want it to sound like i'm clubbing the park because i'm not, i love it. no park is perfect, though, so here are (in my opinion) their biggest mistakes:

1. The collective sins of the Paramount era. This includes (but is not limited to)

- removing much of the park's quirky personality, things like the singing mushrooms, candy apple grove, and almost all other whimsical little flourishes.

- theming rides after instantly-forgetten movies like the italian job, tomb raider, days of thunder, etc.

- abandoning any pretense that the different sections of the park meant anything. (for example, erecting an Area 51-style military base and a Himalayan boblsed ride in the Congo)

- the Hurler

2. Retheming the kids area to Peanuts. I realize this is a CF inevitability, and i am sure there are real solid business reasons it happened, but both my kids (7 and 4) complain about this every time we go. It really pisses off my 7 year old in particular. she's like "remember when that wall used to have Blue from Blues Clues on it? Remember when I met Little Bill? Remember when the Backyardigans were here?? NO KIDS care about Charlie Brown! UGH!!" her words, not mine. (Personally, I still miss Scooby and Yogi and the Hair Bear Bunch, but that gang is probably just as irrelevant as Peanuts to today's kids, so whatever.)

3. The incredible shrinking "Lake" Charles.

from this

4572767390_cb154e5ecd_z.jpg

to this

Nobody for Kings Island yet? Maybe it simply doesn't have three strikes. Here goes nothing

1. Removing Son of Beast (especially since it was right before RMC became a thing. Not that Cedar Fair would give it a makeover or anything, but seriously, Son of Son of Beast could have been AWESOME)

2. Adding seat belts to Diamondback

1. Agree. CF doesn't give a damn about RMC, but the potential makes it worth saving.

2. What?

I don't see how that is a negative thing other than slowing dispatch times to maybe 1 less train per hour.

SFGAm

1. Removing Dèjà Vu and replacing it with BB. A SkyScreamer would of been a better replacement.

2. Removing Shockwave and replacing it with SUF. A B&M floorless or sitdown coaster would of been a better replacement.

3. Changing AE Blue forward. Blue side just isn't the same forward.

I don't hate SUF, I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. Also I never got to ride Shockwave.

Valleyfair:

1) Still waiting after 35 years to add a full circuit steel roller coaster with inversion(s) to the park.

2) Removing the original Colonel Omp Pa Pa as mascot of Valleyfair; could have existed along side Snoopy and friends.

3) Adding Excalibur or removing the Flume (Tie); your pick.

Six Flags in General:

1. The Ride Rotation program, where rides were relocated constantly for no good reason

2. Marketing a Larson Fireball as a roller coaster, let alone no less than three times!

3. Merchandise errors. I have a SFOG shirt that has a coaster from Six Flags Fiesta Texas on it!

Six Flags in General:

1. The Ride Rotation program, where rides were relocated constantly for no good reason

2. Marketing a Larson Fireball as a roller coaster, let alone no less than three times!

3. Merchandise errors. I have a SFOG shirt that has a coaster from Six Flags Fiesta Texas on it!

I got more for Six Flags in general to add to the list

1. Too many Batman and Superman themed rides!

2. Not renewing Tony Hawk's licensing agreement.

3. Selling Darien Lake in 2007. (Frankly I think the park would be better if Six Flags bought it back!)

Six Flags in General:

1. Rides got relocated when rides lost popularity and were relocated to "Get a new lease on life."

2. Cedar Fair has marketed Zamperla Skaters as Coasters.

3. That happens alot of times with chain parks.

Cedar Fair in general:

1. Not keeping any of the brands/properties that were acquired from Paramount.

I actually believe this was a very smart move by Cedar Fair. The problem I had with the Paramount Parks was that the theming essentially became 'dated' and irrelevant very quickly since they were theming rides off of not blockbuster hits or movies with no sequels.

However, I'm not a fan of many of the renames Cedar Fair did in 2007... Drop Tower? Can't get much more pathetic than that. It makes me wish Ouimet was around then because I'd doubt those names would have been picked.