TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

18 Year Old Killed on Inferno at Terra Mítica

Today Helsingin Sanomat (biggest newspaper in Finland) stated, that Terra Mitica had made changes to the restraint system without permission from Intamin.

Curious - it doesn't LOOK like any changes were made, perhaps the shoulder harness unlocked more easily to make loading and unloading faster?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today Helsingin Sanomat (biggest newspaper in Finland) stated, that Terra Mitica had made changes to the restraint system without permission from Intamin.

Curious - it doesn't LOOK like any changes were made, perhaps the shoulder harness unlocked more easily to make loading and unloading faster?

Well, they really did changes in the seats. Here you have the current harness:

And the original ones:

It is really hard to know if this really has something to do with the accident, but it is clear that some changes were made in the seats (I don't actually know when, probably during 2012-2013 for some videos/photos I've seen). Let's wait for the park's answer and more investigations...

Edited by Shenkra

Modifications not by the manufacturer are always an accident to happen - more so if the company doing the modifications have no or little experience in working with amusement rides. The wear and tear on amusement rides is far heavier than even many engineers think.

Also would be interesting which authority cleared this modification - if it was entered by Terra Mitica.

As Anton said in the TV documentary:

You need to have experience. You cannot calculate everything. MBB with all its computers and engineers built that coaster for Oktoberfest that was scrap metal after two weeks

Insane reopened today half an hour ago. The ride have been throughly inspected and serviced, and is deemed safe both by local authorities and Intamin.

The Swedish media is also reporting of unauthorized modifications of the safety system on the ride in Spain.

What is wrong with that company?!?!? I'm never gonna go on any of their rides now.

Intamin?

No the company thay owns Terra Mítica

I would go to Terra Mitica and ride stuff. I would be pretty cautious though. This seems like one park where I'd really want to hold on. I hope Terra Mitica hasn't modified the restraints on any other rides.

That's not a confirmation. The other ZacSpins didn't have an accident and they aren't being investigated. Also, is the first accident in Terra Mitica since it opened, so I wouldn't blame the park unless there is an official confirmation. Infeno's new restraints look a lot like the Intimidator 305's new restraints, so they could be made by Intamin.

Just saw some work being done at Kirnu today. New seats were indeed changed, but the workers didn't look like the mechanics at Linnanmäki so I guess they were there by Intamin. Anyway, looked like only the foam parts were changed to identical ones. Makes sense that maybe they just wanted to change the 7 year old paddings to new ones. Looks like Kirnu will open on Monday or Tuesday, which is very good news as it is my favourite ride to operate!

Did I miss something? Has it been confirmed that the modification of the restraints caused the accident or is everyone speculating?

I was just going to say the same thing. As I understand it, it's confirmed that Terra Mitica made changes but it's not confirmed that those changes caused the accident, that part is speculation.

If Intamin has just inspected and approved the ride as someone said, then that to me would indicate that whatever unauthorized modifications were made they may not have caused the accident at all. That said though, I still don't feel that parks should be making changes like that without having the manufacturer approve them, so as long as that park continues that practice, I still don't want to visit whether they are at fault for this or not.