TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New B&M FAMILY coaster at Happy Valley Shanghai!

^ Looks about on par with most other B&Ms built over the last ten years.

Do new B&Ms really deserve such hate?

'Tis a joke, laddie.

That being said, B&Ms aren't as "forceful" as they were back in the days of Nemesis and Kumba, although I hear that Banshee is a step in the right direction.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Tis a joke, laddie.

That being said, B&Ms aren't as "forceful" as they were back in the days of Nemesis and Kumba, although I hear that Banshee is a step in the right direction.

I know. But joking or not, I hate to see giant multi-million dollar investments be compared to family or kiddie coasters.

'Tis a joke, laddie.

I know. But joking or not, I hate to see giant multi-million dollar investments be compared to family or kiddie coasters.

Well the newer B&M's are family or kiddie coasters if the height requirement is not that ridiculous.

'Tis a joke, laddie.

Then don't post here.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

And yes, I feel that most of the B&Ms in the past ten years are about on par with a family coaster.

The pov made it look a tad slow-paced, but the pictures tell me otherwise. Looks like a nice silly coaster, especially thanks to the airtime. Also, how many existing inverts out there have airtime?

Scream (for a while.)

What I meant was designed to be operated with one train only, not operating with one train. My fault, I should have been more clear.

Doesn't Hair Raiser at Ocean Park only have one train? There's no MCBR and when I was there on a packed bank holiday and they only were running one and if any day was when they'd have two wouldn't it be then? I could be wrong though, does anyone know?

Edit: After checking a few pov's that only had one train I found a chinese one that shows two. Never mind.

To continue the "this is also the only" game, this is also the only B&M designed without wheel covers.

I thought that we had established a while ago some of the Batman clones didn't have them either...

To continue the "this is also the only" game, this is also the only B&M designed without wheel covers.

Flyers don't have them

Winged coasters don't have them

Leviathan doesn't have them

I thought that we had established a while ago some of the Batman clones didn't have them either...

Last year during the mid west trip at Great America one train on batman had wheel covers and one didn't. Also looking back at photos I took about 15 years ago the trains just had random cars that were missing the wheel covers. Perhaps since this was the prototype that they had flaws in the wheel covers that were fixed the next year for the 93' inverts...or Great America just doesn't care to spend to time to put them back on

'Tis a joke, laddie.

Then don't post here.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

And yes, I feel that most of the B&Ms in the past ten years are about on par with a family coaster.

I understand. Trust me, I have a sense of humor. See: Scream comment a few posts back

On another note, it may sound stupid, but wing coasters actually have some aspects that even the most forceful B&M can't have. For example, on Gatekeeper's Immelmann, it is a unique experience being rotated off the heartline that you don't always expect. Not to mention every other horizontal rolling inversion on Gatekeeper, but the Immelmann is where I seem to be surprised the most.

Flyers don't have them

Winged coasters don't have them

Leviathan doesn't have them

Wow, I actually never realized "that much" B&M don't have them. Thanks for pointing that out. So to stand corrected: This coaster is the only B&M inverted coaster designed without wheel covers. And by saying designed without, it excludes the Batmans and even Oziris that run at least an entire season with one nude train.

I understand. Trust me, I have a sense of humor. See: Scream comment a few posts back

On another note, it may sound stupid, but wing coasters actually have some aspects that even the most forceful B&M can't have. For example, on Gatekeeper's Immelmann, it is a unique experience being rotated off the heartline that you don't always expect. Not to mention every other horizontal rolling inversion on Gatekeeper, but the Immelmann is where I seem to be surprised the most.

This is may be another reason why so many enthusiasts find Wing Coasters a little on the weak side. Wing Coasters have a wide train design. Therefore; all rotations will produce lateral forces. And the only way to reduce this is by making elements long and drawn out since the train cant simply rotate around the heart-line.

^You're right. However, I don't think the laterals would be too much if the rotations were a little faster. Furius baco has some relatively fast transitions and I'm not really bothered by any laterals. Plus, B&M's vest restraints are probably the best to secure you during moments of lateral Gs.

I actually agree with Robb's assessment. B&Ms built in the last ten years have been designed to be FUN, not balls-to-the-wall insane. I think this is actually a good thing.

If you want intensity, there are plenty of quality manufacturers to go to: Intamin, Mack, and RMC come to mind. I think there is a viable market for looping coasters that are more family-friendly.

Just my .02

^You may be right, but I think what annoys people the most is how we know they can build kick-ass rides while sill being very smooth and reliable (things not all manufacturers manage easily) and don't. Plus the fact that there are so many of them being build (probably the manufacturer that builds the most "high thrill" roller coasters per year) makes us want them to be great even more.

• 1 month later...
^You may be right, but I think what annoys people the most is how we know they can build kick-ass rides while sill being very smooth and reliable (things not all manufacturers manage easily) and don't. Plus the fact that there are so many of them being build (probably the manufacturer that builds the most "high thrill" roller coasters per year) makes us want them to be great even more.

They don't build "kick-ass" rides, because they want to cater to the majority. My non coaster nerd wife wouldn't tolerate me dragging her to so many parks if every ride were like I-305. She actually gets enjoyment out of rides like B&M Hypers and Wing Riders due to the freedom and smoothness. On most everything else, she kind of just holds on and waits until it's over. (kind of like our sex life)

B&M is in the business of making money while making fun rides. At least they are coming back with a few intense rides showing up here and there, now. I understand your frustration, but try to appreciate them for what they are, not what you want them to be.