TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official TPR Video Thread!

Are there any other rides out there still operating that shuffle to the degree that Pysclone did prior to its removal? I'm sure it probably felt worse than it actually was, but it seemed like it moved laterally several inches in some spots.

Gorgoza Park is the best snow tubing place I know of. Long runs with several bumps and they encourage chain riding there. Looks like you were all having a great time.

As for Psyclone, I remember that ride well. While not the worst wooden coaster ever, it was probably the roughest and is definitely in my bottom tier. It's a shame because the other Cyclones I've been on (namely Viper at SFGAm and the original version) are actually really good. I'm glad we have Apocalypse and even in its current state it's still a much better ride than Psyclone was, but given how rough that ride has gotten in just 5 years I'm worried it may be unrideable in another 10.

I'm glad we have Apocalypse and even in its current state it's still a much better ride than Psyclone was, but given how rough that ride has gotten in just 5 years I'm worried it may be unrideable in another 10.

Psyclone was built in 1991 and only a few years later it was ranked #57 in the world. By 1997 it was barely being ranked in the top 100 woodies. By 2001 it was ranked one of the worst in the world. At the end of 2013, only four years after it opened, Apocalypse has been on a steady decline in the polls and was ranked #40 and I know the ride has gotten much worse since then. I can't imagine it would rank much higher than #50 or #60 right now. It would seem to me that Apocalypse isn't having much better of a legacy than Psyclone did.

IMO, I think that Apocalypse will soon take Gwazi's spot for being the roughest GCI woodie out there.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm glad we have Apocalypse and even in its current state it's still a much better ride than Psyclone was, but given how rough that ride has gotten in just 5 years I'm worried it may be unrideable in another 10.

Psyclone was built in 1991 and only a few years later it was ranked #57 in the world. By 1997 it was barely being ranked in the top 100 woodies. By 2001 it was ranked one of the worst in the world. At the end of 2013, only four years after it opened, Apocalypse has been on a steady decline in the polls and was ranked #40 and I know the ride has gotten much worse since then. I can't imagine it would rank much higher than #50 or #60 right now. It would seem to me that Apocalypse isn't having much better of a legacy than Psyclone did.

IMO, I think that Apocalypse will soon take Gwazi's spot for being the roughest GCI woodie out there.

Oh wow, I had no idea that it is that rough now. While it was never one of my favorite coasters, it certainly was a good ride when it was new. I wonder if that section of the park is simply cursed or that MM has a real difficult time maintaining wooden coasters.

Nothing west of Utah here in the states either. The whole Pacific Coast is deprived of Alpine coasters which is sad because we have plenty of mountains here.

A few years ago there was one planned in the Tahoe region that got rejected by the local residents.

^Maybe their curse is that they can't maintain wooden coasters.

This. With 18 other coasters in the park, I just don't think they really have the maintenance bandwidth it requires to give it the attention it needs to really make it run well. They can keep it running, just not running great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...