TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

So I'm back from my three day marathon at Knott's Berry Farm and now I'm finally in the loving arms of internet that doesn't feel as though I'm using a router from the 80's.

Time to post a legit trip update.

But first, does anyone know how to compress the images quickly?

Day 1:

This is what the view looked like on the road to Buena Vista. I can't tell if I love or hate how Southern California is "beautifully ugly" in that smoggy, pollution-y kind of way.

We had a late lunch at Pink's, the famous hot dog joint just outside of the park. In case you couldn't tell, they have bacon, so they must be good.

The portions here were absolutely RIDICULOUS! They were a mess but still pretty good. If you ever go here, get the Turkey Dog.

Got a season pass! I can't wait to go back in the summer.

Mandatory shot of the entrance.

I love the way the park gates drop you right underneath Silver Bullet's cobra roll. It makes for some great shots.

This was the highlight of the ride for me, the overbanked curve. I found out after several re-rides that the best seat for this element is the seventh row on the far right. You get airtime!

This is the view from the exit of the Silver Bullet after our first ride on it. I can safely say it holds a place on my Top 5.

And now for something completely different: The infamous CCI Woodie Ghostrider.

I remember this thing being relentlessly bumpy, and I put it on my bottom 5 at #2 for that reason.

This was my view of the loading station as I awaited my doom.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had to do a bit of "defensive riding" to not get hurt by it, but at least it has floater air. At least it's not even in my bottom 10 now.

Refurbishment was happening on the Log Ride. I can't wait to ride it in the summer to see how much better it is.

Back up towards the western end of the park, we decided to try out Xcelerator, the park's Intamin Accelerator Coaster. It wasn't running all that well today, though. Silver Bullet is better in my opinion.

You really get great reactions from the riders during the insane launch.

Airtime galore on this hill.

And when I say "insane launch", I mean 0-82 in 2-point-freakin-3 seconds insane.

The Perilous Plunge got taken out and is being replaced by two new flat rides and a Mack Wild Mouse coaster.

Several supports were already up.

The one day I actually want to ride a Vekoma... Supposedly it was getting a new train.

More construction pics.

The Wipeout was running an absolutely ridiculous ride cycle today. It has great airtime as you could probably tell by my mom's hair.

Even though only one tower was running, the line for Supreme Scream never got above 5 minutes. Good news for me, even though nobody wanted to ride it with me.

If it's any surprise to you, Windseeker is still broken down.

...But Montezooma's Revenge has been open for 35 years and hasn't been out of service for longer than a month. Or so I've heard. I love how reliable this coaster is.

Notice the ® symbol on the ride sign.

Even though it almost hurts to ride more than Ghostrider does, at least Jaguar is more well themed.

This had the longest wait of the day. Too bad it was only running one train.

I completely forgot how good Camp Snoopy looks.

I want to roll down this hill. Really badly. You seriously have no idea how fluffy this grass is.

I distracted myself from the temptations of rolling down said hill by going on Sierra Sidewinder, the park's Mack Spinning coaster. Although it doesn't really spin, it just kind of turns. Still fun though.

If it wasn't for the strap in this picture, this would have been my favorite shot of the entire trip. I can't wait to take this into Photoshop next monday.

It had a bit of a long line, but at least this ride was running two trains.

Funky supports make me happy.

This ride had some of the smoothest brakes on any ride I've ever been on! I was really surprised.

On the way out, this really caught my eye. I love how funky that turn has to be to make way for the actual train.

Back at the park entrance. More specifically, the park exit. Hasta mañana, Knott's.

Nice report! As much as I dislike the name Chost Rider, I think it's going to be a really good match for the Boardwalk.

Oh and what you saw in the air was full blown fog. We really haven't had a pollution problem for quite some time now. If were going to hate on So Cal at every moment we can, the facts might as well be correct!

That's what I thought I read but I was not sure. I thought I had mis-read something becasue form pictures I have not seen where the track is under the station. That's pretty cool with the station doubling as an elevator. It would be nice to see video of this process.

Another question, so the elevator station does the whole platform lower. As you see in this photo below, the cars seem to overhang the wooden platform so I can't see how only the track lowers. So do the track and the actual platform lower together?

There's a hydraulic lift system that pushes the main track (along with loading platform) UP and the transfer track is below. Obviously there can not be a train on the main track when it is lifted. Hope this helps clear things up for you.

So I'm back from my three day marathon at Knott's Berry Farm and now I'm finally in the loving arms of internet that doesn't feel as though I'm using a router from the 80's.

Time to post a legit trip update.

But first, does anyone know how to compress the images quickly?

filehippo http://www.filehippo.com/

photo and Image = irfan view 4.35

Ugh... To think that the park sacrificed PP for... that!

Sorry, but I remain unimpressed with this expansion. The only thing I can think of is that Knott's is trying to position itself as the low-cost alternative to Disney.

And though I don't expect it to happen, I dream that one day we'll see GhostRider given a Rocky Mountain treatment! Considering how Knott's is tight on space, I feel like it's the perfect CF park to receive a Rocky Mountain upgrade: a new ride, essentially, without needing any additional space.

^ Meh, I'd rather see GhostRider with some nice new trains and at least Topper Track, I don't really wanna see KBF losing their ONLY WOODEN COASTER by turning it into a steel coaster. If KBF can manage into turning GhostRider into the kick ass machine it once was, you got yourself one happy customer.

In other news, I really like seeing how Coast Rider is coming along! I think the new Boardwalk will look nice when it's finished. KBF isn't waisting any time getting this coaster up. Loving Boomerang's new train and track color scheme! It looks nice but still wish they bought new trains

I don't want I-Box track for GhostRider as it already has a great layout. Topper track or heck, just a simple, complete re-track and new trains would make GhostRider so much better.

Loving Boomerang's new train and track color scheme! It looks nice but still wish they bought new trains

On the bright side, if Boomerang got new trains, that would mean that Boomerang would be there for a long time.

I would be surprised if Boomerang would still be at Knott's in 6 years.

Yeah, I am quite positive Ghostrider could use, at the very least, topper track.

If they just do a simple retrack and add new trains, I could completely see them pulling a Gwazi. It would be better for a while, but in the long run, it needs at least topper track, and probably IBox.

Also, I do not understand the mentality of people on this forum who are against completely IBoxing it. While it may not NEED IBox as much as I-Rat and NTAG did, why would anyone be against making an awesome ride more awesome? Is there a limit to how awesome a layout can be? (The answer is probably 'yes', because this is California)

Ugh... To think that the park sacrificed PP for... that!

Sorry, but I remain unimpressed with this expansion. The only thing I can think of is that Knott's is trying to position itself as the low-cost alternative to Disney.

And though I don't expect it to happen, I dream that one day we'll see GhostRider given a Rocky Mountain treatment! Considering how Knott's is tight on space, I feel like it's the perfect CF park to receive a Rocky Mountain upgrade: a new ride, essentially, without needing any additional space.

Yeah, how dare they remove a low capacity ride with low reliability for something with a higher capacity, lower height requirement (or so we can only only hope), and much better reliability.

No ride should have to have an Evac system

Uh, B&M Flyers and Inverted coasters have a platform that is on the lift hill that is used to get people off in case the trains get stuff on the lift.

Next time you ride one you can find it pretty easy if you look.

Coulda sworn I didn't say anything about catwalks "which all coasters have" but ok.

Yeah, how dare they remove a low capacity ride with low reliability for something with a higher capacity, lower height requirement (or so we can only only hope), and much better reliability.

Indeed! Silly park for removing a ride with a horrible reputation and serious operational issues for one that will most likely be more popular with guests.

Haha I chose to look at the matter far less practically. All I see is the park replacing an awesome ride experience with a not so awesome one (at least in my opinion!).

Indeed! Silly park for removing a ride with a horrible reputation and serious operational issues for one that will most likely be more popular with guests.

I could care less what is "more popular with guests." PP was more popular with me!

Edited by TopThrill182

Plunge was fun, but I think the new rides will go better with guests (this includes me). Flying Scooters are amazing, Scrambler's been absent from the park since Pony Express moved in, and the large Mack mice are quite fun.

Low capacity/maintenance nightmare < three maintainable and entertaining rides.