TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^I hope it's easy to get that out of there, because I have the feeling that the evacuation scaffold is going to be used a lot.

It's stopped twice in 2 years... Not sure that qualifies as "a lot." I doubt it's going to be used too often, especially since I'm sure they've done work on the ride prevent the previous issues from happening again.

^Yes, it's not like this sort of breakdown was an everyday occurrence (although the media might make it seem that way). But it's good that the park has a way to evac riders if it happens again.

No ride should have to have an Evac system

Uh, B&M Flyers and Inverted coasters have a platform that is on the lift hill that is used to get people off in case the trains get stuff on the lift.

Next time you ride one you can find it pretty easy if you look.

Coulda sworn I didn't say anything about catwalks "which all coasters have" but ok.

Hey bud, he didn't say anything about Catwalks. In fact, B&M Flyers have no catwalks directly underneath the ride vehicle on the lift. Therefore, there is a platform that can be moved along a rail that is located next to the catwalks on the side of the lift. So just calm your roll

^ Thank you. That is why I pointed out the Flyers/Inverted coasters. Yes all coasters have catwalks, that's NOT what I was referring to. The lift hills of these coasters have evac systems, which you stated no ride should have.

Guess we are supposed to leave people stranded.

People tend to forget that these things are mechanical and just like anything mechanical they can break down. That's like saying your car should never have any issues, get any flat tires or ever need a tune up. it's just not going to happen.

Have to give props to Knotts for deconstructing a ride, doing the grading, and erecting a new coaster (and soon two flats) in such time... all while other major overhauls were taking place (Ghost rider, Boomerang, and Windseeker). It seems weather is on their side however, it amazes me how this can happen while other parks seem to be unable to get one ride up and running in such time. Kudos to Knotts and the Cedar Fair planning/engineering team.

No ride should have to have an Evac system

Uh, B&M Flyers and Inverted coasters have a platform that is on the lift hill that is used to get people off in case the trains get stuff on the lift.

Next time you ride one you can find it pretty easy if you look.

Coulda sworn I didn't say anything about catwalks "which all coasters have" but ok.

Hey bud, he didn't say anything about Catwalks. In fact, B&M Flyers have no catwalks directly underneath the ride vehicle on the lift. Therefore, there is a platform that can be moved along a rail that is located next to the catwalks on the side of the lift. So just calm your roll

Wait... someone said rides shouldn't have evac systems? I'm seriously inclined to flip out on this, but I will be calm and just say that of the many, MANY evacuations I've done on amusement park rides, none of them were because the ride was engineered poorly and thus needed the evac system as a back up. Sometimes stuff happens. When a park loses power because some moron drives his car into a power pole nearby, what should happen to the riders? I mean the ride was engineered properly but the power went out... too bad, that thing didn't need an evac system. Even a backup generator for a situation like that is an evac system. It's really mind boggling that someone would think that an evac system should be there as if any sort of machinery could be engineered to never have any issue. Good luck with that.

Back on topic, CR looks great and is a great improvement to that area of the park. Can't wait to see the flat in place and the water and landscaping all in.

Coast Rider looks great, and it certainly went up fast. Two weeks ago it was nothing but footers. I'm sure once everything is done this section of the park is going to look really nice. I probably won't be visiting again until mid-April, but it will be interesting to see what the state of construction is at that time. I'm guessing work will have begun on the two flats and they'll be getting ready to begin testing Coast Rider.

Wow that was fast! Last I saw there were just a few supports and the mac-n-cheese colored track sitting in that lot across the street. And I was thinking they'd still be assembling track when we head down there in a few weeks. Now I'm wondering if we'll see it cycle or if that's just pushing my luck/guesswork.

Wow that was quick. Way to go Knotts! Though I probably won't visit Knotts again until WCB I'm looking forward to it. I've loved Knotts for as long as I can remember, it's changed with the times, but I never have a bad time there.

Wow CR looks good... But have they given any thought to how badly guests WILL confuse GR with CR?

This is GP we're talking about.

This is why I don't really like the Coast Rider name. It's not that it's a bad name (in my opinion), but it will definitely confuse the GP!

Not really a trip update, but two weeks ago when I went to Knott's (being a photography student), I took some artsy shots and brought them back to Photoshop for some editing. Let me know what you think.

The second overbank of Xcelerator. It was overcast the day that I shot this, so editing in the blue sky was actually pretty hard to do. None of them are really titled in case you're wondering.

Yeah, in case you couldn't guess, most of my pictures are going to be of Xcelerator. I took loads of Silver Bullet as well, but I actually think (despite SB being a B&M) that Xcelerator is more photogenic for some reason.

Only one train was running the day I took these, so I'm actually really proud that I got this one on the first try.

My favorite shot of the trip, this was the only one that I didn't actually have to edit in the blue sky myself. I actually have a name for this one, it's "Windspeed".

I would have more of Silver Bullet, but it's so hard to get the colors of the track "right". I still love this one; I think it captures the gloriously funky nature of the Inverted Zero-G rolls.

Again, please, let me know what you think.