TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Its a Giga, i have seen the plans...i could tell you all about it but its classified and id have to kill you after then you would never get to ride it, thats no fun...this message will self destruct in 3....2....

There is at least a 100% chance I lost brain cells reading this.

^ If there blow torching the structure! I doubt if we'll see reconstructed elsewhere

Pretty sure the cutting is on the ladder and emergency exit structure. Interesting too on the webcam this evening the entire backside of the park is dark. Quick google image search shows that the emergency platform part can't just be unbolted

Edited by fpsphil

All this talk of gigs and hypers has me asking, is a hyper purely height or is a style of coaster? I conform to the latter school of thought. When I think of a hyper coaster I picture no inversions and lots of airtime hills and pure speed. I don't consider Xcelerator or Karnan or Cannibal or Valrayvn to be hyper coasters. Giga and strata are heights I will give you that, but hyper should be reserved for a style, a specific type of ride like launch coaster or inverted coaster or wild mouse. Am I alone in this thinking?

Edited by WestCoasterKing

Yellow is roughly the space we are probably looking at for Boomerang's replacement. It is roughly 425' x 170'.

Coral is Xcelerator's footprint, for comparison size, roughly 450' x 180'.

Black is space that could be theoretically used but would require having fly over and around existing attractions. Roughly 550' x 300' in the longest directions of the "L".

Intimidator 305 is 5,100 feet long and 305 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of 300 horizontal feet and sits on rectangle of land roughly 935' x 520' square.

Fury 325 is 5,498 feet long and 325 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of 520 horizontal feet. It sits on an "L" shaped piece land 1,380' x 260' x 1,290' x 250'.

Leviathan is 6,602 feet long and 310 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of 500 horizontal feet. It sits on an "L" shaped peice of land 1,450' x 360' x 1,135' x 250'.

Based on those numbers I doubt Knott's is getting a giga or even a "hyper". But Valravn, for comparison, sits on a plot of land roughly 270' x 200'. It is 3,415 feet long and 223 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of just over 100 horizontal feet. Now I don't believe Knott's would get a clone but it gives you an idea of the space that a big dive coaster could fit in. Maybe this could be the first giga dive coaster. Maybe even be longer than GhostRider's 4,533 feet.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

Why do some have these emergency catwalks and some don't? Personally I think they ugly up the simple beauty of the boomerang design, especially the giant inverts. Aftershock at Silverwood, my second favorite west coast(er) park, looks beautiful. Goliath at SFNE is butt ugly.

Aftershock also can't run during Halloween and ceases operations at 65° which is the highest temperature limit I've ever heard of on a coaster. Goliath ceases operation at 40 degrees, likely because it has a catwalk and a valley wouldn't be a major issue. Boomerangs valley in that spot all the time and without the catwalk they would most likely need to call the fire department and the evacuation process would take hours (like this).

This was just a few weeks ago in New Engand.

Without the catwalk they would have been there for hours, they would have called the fire department and this would have made local or national news (as ridiculous as that is) just like Joker's Jynx just did.

This play by play of every little thing on the boardwalk is both disturbing and entertaining at the same time.

Yeah, but it's hard not to be excited about this and it's also sort of fun to watch them take a coaster down live on webcams. It's not something you get to see very often.

Just out of curiosity, has there been any indication from the park that the replacement for Boomerang would be a roller coaster? I haven't seen any but I may have missed it. Thanks!

Why close a decently popular coaster before summer for anything less? Any flat would take a month at most as we saw with Sol Spin. A planter a week. If they were planning anything smaller I'm sure they would have waited until September like they did with Plunge.

Hurler disproves this entire post.

I agree with WestCoasterKing here. Hurler (in my opinion) was a total budget move but I don't think this is. I'm sure Hurler was more expensive to operate and required more maintenance than Boomerang does. It's a wood coaster running PTC trains which means they need to send the trains to PTC in the winter for maintenance and do a bunch of offseason and mid-season track work. It's also a bit different because it's a regional, seasonal park.

If they wanted to close Boomerang for budget they wouldn't have run it in January, February, March and April and then shut it down just in time for the busy season. If you've already paid to staff it and maintain it during the months where the park is mostly dead you might as well run it through June, July and August. If they had closed it after Scary Farm I would be inclined to agree with you but they've wasted no time dismantling it and prepping that area. I think it's very reasonable to assume that a major addition is coming and that's what makes this so exciting. They closed it because they needed to close it. They closed Hurler for budget well in advance of when they actually started working on it.

Yellow is roughly the space we are probably looking at for Boomerang's replacement. It is roughly 425' x 170'.

Coral is Xcelerator's footprint, for comparison size, roughly 450' x 180'.

Black is space that could be theoretically used but would require having fly over and around existing attractions. Roughly 550' x 300' in the longest directions of the "L".

Intimidator 305 is 5,100 feet long and 305 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of 300 horizontal feet and sits on rectangle of land roughly 935' x 520' square.

Fury 325 is 5,498 feet long and 325 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of 520 horizontal feet. It sits on an "L" shaped piece land 1,380' x 260' x 1,290' x 250'.

Leviathan is 6,602 feet long and 310 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of 500 horizontal feet. It sits on an "L" shaped peice of land 1,450' x 360' x 1,135' x 250'.

Based on those numbers I doubt Knott's is getting a giga or even a "hyper". But Valravn, for comparison, sits on a plot of land roughly 270' x 200'. It is 3,415 feet long and 223 feet tall with a lift hill ground length of just over 100 horizontal feet. Now I don't believe Knott's would get a clone but it gives you an idea of the space that a big dive coaster could fit in. Maybe this could be the first giga dive coaster. Maybe even be longer than GhostRider's 4,533 feet.

You really mapped this out perfectly, and I totally agree.

Although it isn't mentioned that it's going away (it's also not listed on the website under rides), I wouldn't be shocked if Sky Cabin was removed after they get Boomerang out of the way. There would be plenty of room to drop it right there.

Although it isn't mentioned that it's going away (it's also not listed on the website under rides), I wouldn't be shocked if Sky Cabin was removed after they get Boomerang out of the way. There would be plenty of room to drop it right there.

I've heard for years that Sky Cabin can't be touched because the 'K' is a historical landmark. I was told that it's exact location in the sky is protected. I do know that Knott's originally planned to put Windseeker in Sky Cabin's spot but it would have to have been the same height and that 'K' replaced exactly. SC is 100 feet shorter than WS and it would have cost too much to refit SC into a swing ride.

Just out of curiosity, has there been any indication from the park that the replacement for Boomerang would be a roller coaster? I haven't seen any but I may have missed it. Thanks!

Why close a decently popular coaster before summer for anything less? Any flat would take a month at most as we saw with Sol Spin. A planter a week. If they were planning anything smaller I'm sure they would have waited until September like they did with Plunge.

Hurler disproves this entire post.

I agree with WestCoasterKing here. Hurler (in my opinion) was a total budget move but I don't think this is. I'm sure Hurler was more expensive to operate and required more maintenance than Boomerang does. It's a wood coaster running PTC trains which means they need to send the trains to PTC in the winter for maintenance and do a bunch of offseason and mid-season track work. It's also a bit different because it's a regional, seasonal park.

If they wanted to close Boomerang for budget they wouldn't have run it in January, February, March and April and then shut it down just in time for the busy season. If you've already paid to staff it and maintain it during the months where the park is mostly dead you might as well run it through June, July and August. If they had closed it after Scary Farm I would be inclined to agree with you but they've wasted no time dismantling it and prepping that area. I think it's very reasonable to assume that a major addition is coming and that's what makes this so exciting. They closed it because they needed to close it. They closed Hurler for budget well in advance of when they actually started working on it.

Fair points. I haven't gotten on board the hype train yet, and I think this could be any number of things that are not a roller coaster. I'll be watching the construction for sure.