TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Anyone go to Knotts in the past couple weeks? I am planning on going on a weekday. But I noticed on their website knotts.com under roller coasters it said that

Xcelerator was closed until 4/24. Now it says May 9. Can anyone confirm that the ride is down. Is it a maintenance issue...scheduled or something went wrong? Is this normally the time they do it scheduled yearly?

Yikes! It was supposed to come back up yesterday, but I figured they just kept it closed because of the weather. Ghost Rider was supposed to go down for this coming week, but it looks like they decided to wait on that until Xcel goes back up.

Was it down for scheduled maintenance in the first place or why?

And why now another 2 week delay. This is California, it barely rained. There is no storm coming lol.

It was scheduled to be down from April 14-24. Xcel goes down in even light rain, because wet track = rollbacks. I haven't found anyone who knows exactly what the deal is... apparently, it went up for a little while today and then back down.

Anyone go to Knotts in the past couple weeks? I am planning on going on a weekday. But I noticed on their website knotts.com under roller coasters it said that

Xcelerator was closed until 4/24. Now it says May 9. Can anyone confirm that the ride is down. Is it a maintenance issue...scheduled or something went wrong? Is this normally the time they do it scheduled yearly?

Yikes! It was supposed to come back up yesterday, but I figured they just kept it closed because of the weather. Ghost Rider was supposed to go down for this coming week, but it looks like they decided to wait on that until Xcel goes back up.

Was it down for scheduled maintenance in the first place or why?

And why now another 2 week delay. This is California, it barely rained. There is no storm coming lol.

It was scheduled to be down from April 14-24. Xcel goes down in even light rain, because wet track = rollbacks. I haven't found anyone who knows exactly what the deal is... apparently, it went up for a little while today and then back down.

Well I totally understand today because it rained Saturday and it might have still been not completely dry. But why not open it Monday or this week as the forecast is very warm and why close it all the way until the 9th is what i'm wondering. I'm going tomorrow most likely, just bought a season pass. I'll just go back when it reopens. I've never been on it and that's the ride I want to go on the most. But i'll just get alot of ghost rider rides tomorrow. Six Flags is my home park but I haven't been to Knotts in so long it's time. I'll ask why it's closed tomorrow see if I get any details.

^ California. Shhhhhh.

LOL us californians panic when it rains. When it drizzles here there are severe thunderstorm warnings and get notifications on tv when it barely rains. We aren't used to anything other than sunshine lol. A few months ago there was a severe tornado #6 highest level warning..turned out it barely drizzled or had very light wind.

Do trains "really" travel faster on a wet track? I was thinking the water would cause more resistance and slow it down. (Like water on a road slows your car)

Time to break out the physics books

Iron Reef update:

Track, ride vehicles, screens, and projectors are all in place. Most of the work now is adding scenery and working on the building facade. Park is hinting at an employee preview on May 13th. We'll see.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that pretty much everything is in place. I was there last month for spring break and it looked like there was a ton of work left to do. Knott's already sent out emails for a season passholder preview on May 13th, so they are going to look really bad if the ride isn't ready in time.

Xcel goes down in even light rain, because wet track = rollbacks. I haven't found anyone who knows exactly what the deal is... apparently, it went up for a little while today and then back down.
Can you explain to me how wet track can cause a Roll Back when Trains Travel Faster on Wet Track?

I don't know the physics behind it, but that's what happens apparently.

I heard from a friend who is a team lead that whatever part / system they were working on failed and now they have to basically redo everything they just did. There was also mention of potential overheating of the launch system.

With the installation of this dark ride (which isn't really for my demographic so I won't knock it) do you think that Knotts will ever get that illusive hyper coaster?

It seems like the park is so cramped and tight on space that I can not see where the park can make room for any real major roller coaster. I know that seems odd give Cedar Fairs and the way the maneuver things to rides around to make room for things at Cedar Point for Knott's seems even more crowded. and landlocked.

I commend Knott's for repurposing a major building and turning it to a major family attraction but what is next in 2016 and beyond? Is is possible to build a new coaster with out taking something else? I am curious. I have never been to the farm so for the people that have been there is there any room for expansion?

^ who knows.

According to screamscape, there are no major additions slotted for next year. There's a lot they can still do just to improve the park. I for one will continue to champion a thorough rehab with Rmc topper track every year until it finally happens. It truly makes a world of difference. Then you also got the space where windseeker was, and just fiesta village in general that could use some tlc

^ who knows.

According to screamscape, there are no major additions slotted for next year. There's a lot they can still do just to improve the park. I for one will continue to champion a thorough rehab with Rmc topper track every year until it finally happens. It truly makes a world of difference. Then you also got the space where windseeker was, and just fiesta village in general that could use some tlc

Rumor has it that GhostRider's long-overdue refurb is going to be next year's big project. It seems to fit the current MO of the park... alternating years of new attractions with fixing up existing ones. Idk what could realistically go in the Windseeker space, because it's such a small footprint.

It is interesting because Knott's has such a strong history and people seem to really love it but on paper I am not that impressed. I have never been but I feel like they need a B&M hyper to stand out in that crowded market. It will probably be B&M's most difficult installation since the Great Bear trying to build in very full park, they need something beyond refurbs, more flat and dark rides.

Idk what could realistically go in the Windseeker space, because it's such a small footprint.

How about one of these?

Gerstlauer offers a 24-seat version, though nobody has built one yet. As a tribute to the old Flight Commander, call it XK2.

^ who knows.

Rumor has it that GhostRider's long-overdue refurb is going to be next year's big project. It seems to fit the current MO of the park... alternating years of new attractions with fixing up existing ones. Idk what could realistically go in the Windseeker space, because it's such a small footprint.

Ghost was supposed to go down this week for rehab but seeing that our last rehab was shortened it wouldn't surprise me if that Ghost doesn't go down at all and we tough it out through the rest of the year until 2016 and they announce something big for it. If not that then perhaps the removal of Boomerang and Riptide. As for the Windseeker space I have no clue but what other park can say they have a whole entire queue for a planter?!

As for that ever so elusive Hyper/Giga, if it were to happen it'd have to go around the outskirts of the park if not someway somehow outside of the park. Unless they want to decide to build into the backstage area.

I think Knott's has done a pretty good job with the park additions over the past few years, but there's definitely a need for a Ghostrider refurb and a new thrill coaster. Most of the additions the past few years have been targeted at the family demo and rightly so as that is Knott's primary market. I know my kids have really enjoyed the family coasters (Sierra Sidewinder, Pony Express, Coast Rider) and the Camp Snoopy/Log Ride/Mine Ride renovations. Iron Reef looks like another solid addition to the park as it was lacking a quality dark ride. However, Silver Bullet was the last thrill ride addition (not counting the relocated Windseeker) and that was 11 years ago!

I still love Ghostrider's layout but it's gotten so rough that I usually only ride it once per visit now. There's no need for a full RMC makeover like Twisted Colossus, but the ride is screaming for a topper track refurb. GR used to be one of the top woodies in the country and I would love to see it restored to its former glory. With a topper track makeover, it would almost be like getting a new ride for the park. There's also a huge need for a new marquee coaster and I'd love to see a B&M Hyper/Giga at the park. That would give them something unique to the SoCal market and would really complement their current coaster collection. I look at all the recent Cedar Fair additions (GateKeeper, Banshee, Fury 325) and think that it's time they showed Knott's some love. After all, its got the highest attendance of all of their parks, so the money has got to be there for a major coaster addition.

Idk what could realistically go in the Windseeker space, because it's such a small footprint.

How about one of these?

Gerstlauer offers a 24-seat version, though nobody has built one yet. As a tribute to the old Flight Commander, call it XK2.

Someone needs to make a windseeker-sized version of it. Imagine doing those rolls at 300 feet!

I would love a full refurb on GhostRider, but if it's RMC, then it won't be until at least 2017. I will cross my fingers though.

I would also love an Air Race in Windseekers spot. If also love moving Wipeout to the spot of Boomerang, Riptide and the Skytower get removed for something better