TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I miss all the Intamin Ag 1st Gen Free Falls!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you know that Disney's Tower of Terror was originally going to be multiple freefall towers connected together and themed?

The original concept art is amazing for this. I really kind of wish this was the final design.

Wow that truly looks amazing! It would have been awesome if someone had built something like that!

• 5 months later...
^^This. 1st Gens give more airtime than any S&S tower I've been on. I will admit however that Moser drop towers give some decent airtime as well.

I've only rode the 2nd gen towers, but I loved them, and found them to give amazing airtime. How much more air would you get on the 1st gens?

Also, never rode a moser tower. I saw footage of a portable one a few years ago, & it looked like a travelling 2nd gen. Anybody here managed to get on one?

just rode one at Dorney a few weeks ago.

LOVED it, and I even remembered to brace myself for the Ker-CHUNK! when it goes back underneath!

That was my first and, so far, only 1st Gen. It was great! I knew about the ker-chunk but didn't really know how to prepare as I'd never experienced it before.

just rode one at Dorney a few weeks ago.

LOVED it, and I even remembered to brace myself for the Ker-CHUNK! when it goes back underneath!

Is the one at Dorney the last one left in the US?

we lost the one closest to me when Astroworld closed (Skyscreamer). . and then when Six Flags Over Texas pulled theirs out (Cliffhanger) for Pandemonium

dunno if the Dorney one is the last one, but was thrilled to see it!

(they were also the only park we went to that still had a working Monster. . so two for two with Dorney)

Also, never rode a moser tower. I saw footage of a portable one a few years ago, & it looked like a travelling 2nd gen. Anybody here managed to get on one?

I, too, wonder what a Moser tower is like since Mach Tower was closed both days I was at BGW back in 2012. Interesting how the reports from the Scandi trip say that both Moser towers in Finland were running well.

I would like to have a go on these new ones now that I've tried the 1st and 2nd Gen, to compare the experiences. Strange that they don't seem to provide the same free falling feeling.

Did you know that Disney's Tower of Terror was originally going to be multiple freefall towers connected together and themed?

Well, I think all Towers of Terror at all the Disney parks are a joint project of both Intamin and Disney Imagineering.

• 3 months later...

I have to agree with you on missing these 1st gens / wishing they would modernize and redevelop them. I grew up riding the drop of doom at West Edmonton Mall. The experience was really cool having it indoors and going up into an enclosed tower with glass surrounding the top. It was sadly replaced with an S & S tower a few years ago and moved to Spain. I believe. The S & S towers just aren't the same.

Ugh! I loved these as well. I don't know how it's different, but modern drop rides don't have the same effect on me that these things had. The whole experience from the weird automation of the elevator, to the clunky slide of the edge, to the seriously gnarly drop, to the reverse clunk back to the station, is just so much better than these uber-tall drop rides. Genuinely frightening from start to finish!

I used to ride Demon Drop all the time. I was so bummed when they removed it, but am thankful that it will live at Dorney now. I remember there was one at Geauga Lake, but I don't know what happened to it. I assume it was scrapped.

They used its parts for Demon Drop before it was moved to Dorney. I've never been on one, can anyone tell me what the "Ker-Chunk" is like?

^The "ker-chunk" is the sound the ride makes when it's trying to break your back. That being said, the 1st-generation Free Falls are a unique experience compared to the drop rides that followed and well worth checking out when you have the chance.