TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags raises parking fees.

It was just reported that both six flags great America, and six flags great adventure have quietly raised there parking fees.

Great adventure went up $2 to $17 per car. Great Americas price jumped up to $20 per car.

Is it just me, or are parking fees getting a little excessive? As many of you know, six flags passes no longer cover parking at all of there parks. It only covers parking at the park you bought the pass at.

Imo, I would rather shell out more for the pass, and have chainwide parking included.

Thoughts?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parking is definately outrageous. At a time when gas is $4 per gallon (in Ohio atleast), its bad enough wanting to travel far distances for trips. But when parking costs more than a (TPR discounted) admission to park? Thats just ridiculous! I'm just happy KI still is only $10 to park, and I'm only gonna have to do that once this year to get my platinum pass processed....

I agree, those prices are insane.

and I'm only gonna have to do that once this year to get my platinum pass processed....

From what I remember from last year, if you buy your platinum pass online you print out the voucher thingy and you can then use that for parking; I believe you just give them the paper and they scan it and therefore parking is still free the first visit.

I agree, those prices are insane.

and I'm only gonna have to do that once this year to get my platinum pass processed....

From what I remember from last year, if you buy your platinum pass online you print out the voucher thingy and you can then use that for parking; I believe you just give them the paper and they scan it and therefore parking is still free the first visit.

True, I was using that example as a comparison. I think when I got my SF pass last year, I payed for parking, but they didn't fully reimburse me. I think I just got back $10 of the $15 parking cost for SFA.

It was just reported that both six flags great America, and six flags great adventure have quietly raised there parking fees.

Great adventure went up $2 to $17 per car. Great Americas price jumped up to $20 per car.

Is it just me, or are parking fees getting a little excessive? As many of you know, six flags passes no longer cover parking at all of there parks. It only covers parking at the park you bought the pass at.

Imo, I would rather shell out more for the pass, and have chainwide parking included.

Thoughts?

That's unbelievable! First the free parking only at the home park (with season pass parking), and now this price increase as the season begins. Yes, I'd pay more for a season pass that would include parking for all parks. I visit a lot of parks during the year, so for me that would be best.

I do think that the season pass prices are too low. They (6 Flags) should adjust those to make more money. They are a lot less than Cedar Fair, but they include parking everywhere (for now).

I still don't get all the bitching about parking fees. They can do what they want with a captive audience. I pay more to park at:

- Concerts

- Sporting Events

- Airports

- Cruise Ports

- New York

- MORE!

And like you all have mentioned, it pretty much averages out with all the crazy stupid discounting, annual passes and basically 'giving away the gate'. What do you expect when they lower admission to these giant parks to basically $20? They have to make money somewhere!

I agree with Elissa, you will end up paying a lot more to park at many other locations.

Also, SFGAM's parking was $15-25(I believe) last year with regular and preferred parking until the new management got settled in. Once they did, parking was lowered, and there was no more preferred parking. So, while the new management changed parking to $15 last year, $20 is still cheaper than what you used to have to pay in the same lot.

I still don't get all the bitching about parking fees. They can do what they want with a captive audience. I pay more to park at:

- Concerts

- Sporting Events

- Airports

- Cruise Ports

- New York

- MORE!

And like you all have mentioned, it pretty much averages out with all the crazy stupid discounting, annual passes and basically 'giving away the gate'. What do you expect when they lower admission to these giant parks to basically $20? They have to make money somewhere!

See, that's the thing.

I would gladly pay more for a pass if it included parking, rather than being greeted with a sign that says " welcome to six flags...now give me $20 to park your car".

A friend of mine has season tickets for the Detroit tigers and DTE energy center, and they both include parking. If you don't have a season pass, parking can cost anywhere between $7-$50.

A friend of mine has season tickets to the Detroit tigers, and gte energy center, and both include parking.

It's been at or around $20 in the Orlando area for a few years now. It's all becoming normal to me. I get so excited when I see a place only charge $12. (Do they exist anymore though?)

The prices are only going to get more expensive in years to come too, so if you wanna complain now, be prepared to keep on complaining. I bet within a couple years, Disney/Universal will be at least $25 for parking.

That's why it's so worth the money to get the season passes that include parking.

When I first read this I had the same reaction like, what the hell? For parking? BUT like you guys have been saying, Six Flags really has done an awesome job with ticket pricing/deals and being able to use passes at multiple parks/etc... so in the end it's really not that horrible. For hockey games/sports games in Boston it's like $25-$75 to park on top of the ridiculous ticket prices... you would spend less than that with a SF pass, parking, and some food for a whole day at a park! I just got a season pass from SFNE, and hopefully will be using it there and SFGAdv this summer and will happily pay parking for what I got the pass for!

I have an "it is what it is" mindset. I go to these parks knowing and expecting that everything from food/drink to merchandise to parking is going to be inflated somewhat, it's a given. So I don't get upset about it. Going to an amusement park is still one of the cheapest "vacations" for a family, and I'll gladly pay that minor fee to ride those 20+ million dollar machines.

I'd have less of a problem with it if there was a practical alternative; in the UK for example you can get to quite a lot of the major parks via public transport without difficulty.

I have managed to get to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by boat/bus, but that's the only example in the USA that I can think of...

What irks me personally is how Six Flags doesn't allow you to place shoes or sandals or the side of ride platforms. It's like, they now let you leave the 2011 bottles in the cup holders instead of buying lockers, but now you can't leave shoes off to the side. The thing is, I can't see why they don't allow it either.

And with parking, at least they give a coupon for free parking at another park. Even if that's a way to get people to go to those other parks.

And with parking, at least they give a coupon for free parking at another park. Even if that's a way to get people to go to those other parks.

I think it was mentioned somewhere that they were not giving a coupon out after all.

- Concerts

- Sporting Events

I can't speak for the other things you listed, but you pay more than $20 for parking at a concert or sporting event? Really? I've gone to many concerts an games over the years and have never spent that much. In fact, the last concert I went to, the parking was FREE. Oh, and the one I am going to next week? Also FREE. Other concerts? Usually no more than $10 or $15.

The only thing I'll give ya is football games. I don't go to any, but I do know that parking fees are crazy. But that's also because of the limited number of home games per year. Parking for a baseball game is like what, $10?

^ Yeah, I pay $10 to park at the baseball stadium on weeknights. I believe its higher on the weekend, and they offer much more expensive front-row parking as well. $20 or more for football games, for sure. And yeah, some concerts are cheap or free parking, others are not. $20 event parking isn't too terrible - its usually at least $10 to park on a regular night here in Atlanta, and we have fairly cheap parking. I remember my hotel in San Fran being $20/hr!! ok, so that's not entirely comparable, but it puts things into perspective

These threads are always awesome. Same people defending it, same people bitching, every time.

To people saying they won't go now - really? $5 is going to be the game-changer? That's, what, a beer? A gallon of gas? A coffee? A magazine? Even less of a % impact (per person) if you carpool