TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dania Beach Hurricane Declares Bankruptcy

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I guarantee you had more people gone out to ride the Hurricane, it probably would have been ranked a bit higher.

But isn't that the point of Mitch's Poll? To account for varying sample sizes?

And I guarantee you had more people gone out to ride the Hurricane, it probably would have been ranked a bit higher.

But isn't that the point of Mitch's Poll? To account for varying sample sizes?

I said "probably", yes it accounts for for varying sample sizes, but it also couldn't hurt if more people had ridden it. (or maybe it might have, who knows?) Same reason why he doesn't count certain rides with less than a certain number of riders, etc. Anyway, I don't feel like explaining it.... I just know that I'm not wrong, regardless of whatever it is you're trying to prove.

--Robb "I was just making a comment, didn't mean for someone else to break it apart scientifically." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

What a drag. This was a good woodie that deserved alot more attention then it got. I remember going down to the Florida Keys for Spring Break 2008 and I spent a few hours at Boomers then. I rode the Hurricane a good 7 times due to there being next to no-one riding the ride the night I went with my dad. I think at one point there were six other people in the train with me, just riding it out in the back while I rode mostly in the middle and front.

Good ride, decent air, it will be missed. Just wish I could've ridden it again before it got shut down.

I remember seeing something about this on ACE's Facebook page awhile back. It's sad to see another woodie going away. Also, did anyone pick up in the article where it said the Hurricane was Florida's tallest wooden coaster but isn't Gwazi slightly taller? Sucks that this ride couldn't be saved.

• 3 months later...

Sad update on the Dania Beach Hurricane status. The local paper - Sun Sentinel had an article in today's paper 3/24/13 on the abandoned woodie. It is scheduled for demolition on May 28 unless someone saves it. The corporation that owns it Dania Woody has been in bankruptcy for sometime. It's been closed since April 2011. This makes me sooooo sad

• 7 months later...

We to passed by 3rd November would have stooped for a go if it had been open. Great ride but probably not worth the $$'s to move it. There is i suppose a slim chance of something happening as its still standing (IE better than no chance if the bulldozers had come in).

Stu K

• 8 months later...

www.sun-sentinel.com/business/realestate/fl-dania-live-roller-coaster-20140729,0,3939087.story

Full article at above link.

Dania roller coaster could be knocked down for giant retail plaza

At one time, it was known as the tallest wooden amusement park ride in Florida: the mighty Hurricane roller coaster.

Today, the Hurricane is little more than a 100-foot-tall timber statue sitting silently next to Interstate 95 in Dania Beach. Its thrills and chills screeched to a halt when it closed in 2011 in a sour economy. The coaster was supposed to be demolished or disassembled but never was.

Now the end may be coming.

The roller coaster sits among 100 acres that Bob Shapiro, president of Aventura-based Master Development, is assembling to build DaniaLive Marketplace. The 1.3 million-square-foot "open air" shopping center would combine big-box stores, restaurants, a hotel and apartments. Imagine something three times the size of the Village at Gulfsteam Park in Hallandale Beach.

Shapiro said he expects to complete land deals with eight owners after he gains a series of approvals from the city this fall. Under that scenario, the Hurricane would be taken down early next year, he said.

City officials are counting on the project to energize an industrial area surrounding Stirling and Bryan roads.

"The roller coaster is an eyesore, in my opinion," Mayor Walter Duke said. "It's not something you want sitting around in your city."

"The roller coaster is an eyesore, in my opinion," Mayor Walter Duke said. "It's not something you want sitting around in your city."

Wow, this is insulting!

Man, I don't had much hope this ride would ever re-open, but as it wasn't getting demolished I though "maybe something good might happen...". Well, looks like every Coaster Works creation will be gone soon.