TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Rant" Thread

robbalvey

I'm really getting irritated with constantly getting called in to work. It happens all the time, and usually at really bad times, but it's not like I have any legit excuse not to go in. I know they don't have much more help and generally really need me. It's just getting frustrating when I'm trying to catch up on sleep or am looking forward to having a night off and I get called in. It's a great job and they are really lax about letting me off work (in advance) whenever I go somewhere, but it's just starting to get a little ridiculous.

Why does the President have to come on EVERY stinkin' channel to deliver his random lame "life is gonna get better" (even though its not) speech? If networks can fight over who gets to broadcast the Superbowl, Olympic games, Academy Awards, etc, why is the POTUSA so mighty that he gets every channel! And why does Fox News feel the need to cover it when Fox is covering it?? Looks like I'll be popping in a TPR DVD within the hour!

I had a root canal done two days ago, the freezing has (I am assuming) worn off...

And it's still (^%#$%^&*(~&*)^%( not "calming down".

i.e. PAIN IS STILL IN MY MOUTH.

Owwwwww.

I really hate when your parents are really strict. Both of my parents are teachers and they expect me to get A's all of the time. Well, today, I got my CORE grades, and guess what? I got a B. My dad said to my face that if I even got one B on my report card, my life would be over. I haven't showed it to them yet, but when I do, I'll be saying goodbye to TPR, the computer, TV, and friends. Did this every happen to anybody else?

Brent "I'm really upset" Shenton

^ Yup. In my GCSEs (end of high school exams in England), I got one A*, 9 As, and 2 Bs (I think, I'm actually beginning to forget already, and it was only 5 years ago), and all I heard for the next three months was how disappointed my mother was with the Bs.

Forget the fact that I did Higher-tier exams and all the extra curricular stuff, and was also studying for my Grade 8 piano exam at the same time, those 3 Bs were the biggest disappointment in the world for her. Just remind your parents that no matter how intelligent and studious you are, and no matter how hard you work, you're not perfect, nobody is, and explain to them that BECAUSE you work so hard (and you clearly do, with a 4.0), you need TPR, you TV etc, to chill out when you aren't working.

Statistically, they say your brain can only absorb about 5 hours worth of information a day, you can't work all the time. Even if they're mad at first, I'm sure they'll calm down quickly, try not to worry about it. A B is NOT the end of the world, especially not when you're so young. They only get mad because they care and want you to do well. Which you will, believe me.

I really hate when your parents are really strict. Both of my parents are teachers and they expect me to get A's all of the time. Well, today, I got my CORE grades, and guess what? I got a B. My dad said to my face that if I even got one B on my report card, my life would be over. I haven't showed it to them yet, but when I do, I'll be saying goodbye to TPR, the computer, TV, and friends. Did this every happen to anybody else?

Brent "I'm really upset" Shenton

I am sorry to hear that. I don't know what it was for me, but sixth grade was the absolute WORST grades of my life. I got much worse than B's, I almost failed the entire grade, but as a freshman I am in advanced classes. I have had to do a lot of explaining and negotiating over the years, and I am usually able to talk my way out of things. When they see your grade, don't just stand there and look down, defend yourself. I'm not talking about being a brat, but try to make some good points. If you studied a lot at home, which I assume you did, bring that up. Also say that you will try a lot harder next time, but you were just trying to adjust as smoothly as possible into the new setting of middle school. Statistically, sixth grade is a time when a lot of people don't do as well as they usually do, so you are very normal. A B is not close to being a bad grade. There is no worse place to be than to have strict parents who don't understand anything. I wish you good luck, and hopefully everything will work out for you!

They just announced on the news that the 2010 Winter Olympics Committee has just "requested" an "additional $110 Million Dollars" for building, etc.

This is getting to be a farce that this city doesn't need, economically. Point of fact, although it's always great to watch this on television.... the Games will essentially be available ONLY to the few lucky ones with enough $ for the best seats at certain events and finals' venues

And although we're getting a few new "sports buildings".... well, to be quite honest, when The Vote was held about whether Vancouver/Whistler Mtn. should host the games, I voted against it.

I wanted Saltzburg to get it. And they got dropped on the first vote!

Can't wait for the (eventual) "City Clean Up Campaign," which will then again, like our Worlds Fair in 1986, disrupted housing, the homeless, land taxes and general expenses for anything in town. Mainly to us, those who lived here all the time...

And all THIS crap to go thru, for a (gulp) two week event ???

Grrrrrrrr.

I think they should cancel it now, while they can get out, somewhat unscathed in $$$ loss.

Well, I didn't get punished as much! I tried to negociate my way out of it all, but instead they just lessened my punsihment to no computer Monday-Friday, no TV, and no friends Monday-Friday.

Brent "I thought it would be worse, but it still sucks" Shenton

Wow, that is still pretty harsh, but at least you will still have your weekends.