TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

I'm a bit sad I can no longer say I've ridden the best and worst wooden coaster, but Voyage's drop and Grizzly's climb (if you can call it that) were no surprises. And my experiences honestly do help me understand both changes.

It was fun to see that I've ridden exactly as many woodies as the average voter, if you round down (35.1 vs my 35).

Overall the results were fairly pleasing and unsurprising. I think the most stark difference of opinion I had with the poll is how I felt about Timber Wolf, but hey, even I found it really rough!

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozcat is still in the top 20! Awesome for a ride that hasn't run for over 2 years.

I've ridden 13 of the 17 GCI's out there. The OzCat is by FAR the best of the bunch, IMO. I still have it in my top 5!

Though the one at Knights Valley does look interesting. Hmmmm....

I think it would be enlightening to see the average age of the participants in this poll. I think that this set would satisfy an older crowd given this trend of the intense coasters falling in the polls.

WTF are you talking about? So you're saying that if you're, what, over 30 years old you all of sudden don't like a rough as hell coaster because you're too old?

Your statement makes zero sense whatsoever. Are you implying that El Toro, T Express, Phoenix, and Boulder Dash are tame family rides and not intense or something??? And could only possibly appeal to old people??? WTF???

How about this - those "intense" rides are not falling in the polls because they are too "intense" and only young people like them, they are falling in the polls because THEY ARE ROUGH AS HELL AND BEATING THE LIVING SH!T OUT OF PEOPLE!!!!!

--Robb "Yes, Everyone who took the poll is 85 years old and falling apart..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of coasters. I have a low coaster count and the coaster closest to the top that I have ridden was Terminator Salvation in place #27.

GCIs usually rank highest in their opening years and then fall slightly and hold for future years.

Just an observation...

Unless your name happens to rhyme with Gwazi.

Results may vary..

Glad to see Anaconda undertake Grizzly.

What the hell is happening to Coaster at Playland, dropped from 23 to 32, while the only person who rode it this year had it as their favorite. The coaster was awesome last year and my #2. Grand Larceny

This poll reminds me I've still got a bit of catching up to do on the wood coaster front, even though I've been on 4 out of the top 5. I've only been on 10 of the top twenty.

El Toro is a fantastic coaster, it is the best first drop I've experienced - especially in the back row, and the three airtime spots after that are as good as it gets, all I could ask for is more.

The only reasons I rated Balder higher is because it has 9 spots of equally amazing airtime, they don't staple you in, and the flatter trajectory of the airtime hills made for a more consistent ride experience through the whole train, not exactly the same of course, the back was still best. El Toro's first drop is vastly superior though. If either coaster materialised locally, I'd be beyond happy.

I was sceptical about Phoenix and why it was rated so highly, until I actually rode it, amazing - though I wonder if would be as good if it didn't have the buzz bars and you were stapled. Actually, if that was the case it might break your legs off.

My top four wood coasters are hard to rate, any of them could be number one - it's like having four children and having to choose which one has to die, but I just can't go for the grouping method for my top coasters.

...What the hell is happening to Coaster at Playland, dropped from 23 to 32, while the only person who rode it this year had it as their favorite. The coaster was awesome last year and my #2. Grand Larceny

I noticed that too. At least it's still in a very good spot, and even ahead of some more-discussed rides.

I doubt it represents a decline on Coaster's part, though. I'm pretty sure it gives a very consistent ride, as most if not all of the reports I've read about it have been very similar. Was I really the only voter who rode it last year?

Woo hoo, I have been on 9 of the 10 worst wooden coasters!

I always enjoy reading the polls and seeing how vastly my opinions differ from the rankings.

My top two are not even in the top 5, but a few above don't even compare in my opinion.

Such is roller coaster riding, everyone enjoys something different.

I just wish one day that I could understand The Phoenix. I go year after year after year, listening to people say to sit here or sit there, and every time it comes up disappointing. I just don't get it, and I want to so bad!!

Peace, Big Mike

Not surprising to see Voyage drop after some of the negative reviews it got this year. I'm really interested to see what will happen in the next couple years once the Timberliners get rolling on it. Right now we have a good basis to see the direction it was heading in the polls with the PTCs still on it, and we'll see just what kind of difference the new trains will make.

And by the way, HELL YEAH FOR RAMPAGE!!!!! So glad to see it climbing two years in a row after it had been dropping a few spots every year since it opened, and it's the #2 CCI in the rankings! Thank you to everyone who gave love to this under-appreciated coaster!

It's hard to believe I've only been on 50 woodies or so, and virtually no new wood credits in the past two years and I've been on 4 of the top 5!

Not much else to say, other than I'm surprised at how low Voyage is and that Aska still is in the poll!

Also, did anyone notice that 7 of the coasters ranked 11-20 were GCIs while none of the coasters ranked 1-10 were GCIs? (I know it's like 2 A.M., so I may not have counted that right.) So, does that pretty much prove that GCI makes a quality ride that isn't going to be the best coaster in the world, and they're all pretty similar? It seems every year GCI comes out with something new that everyone raves about, but as an outsider looking in (because I haven't ridden more than 4 GCIs), they've always looked pretty similar with one or two innovations along the way. Maybe the new one in China will change this though.

Edited by Wood Dragon 1988

SCBB - 47, down from 46 in 2009

Belmont - 82, down from 81 in 2009

As the lone Belmont Dipper fan here (as in I believe I'm the only one that likes San Diego's better after having rode both), this saddens me.

Also, I still find the fact that Great Escape's Comet doesn't crack the top 25 disappointing as well. That thing is absolutely amazing, and the only thing worth visiting The Great Escape for.

But, on a happy note, at least Thunderhead still seems to be holding its own!

So, does that pretty much prove that GCI makes a quality ride that isn't going to be the best coaster in the world, and they're all pretty similar? It seems every year GCI comes out with something new that everyone raves about, but as an outsider looking in (because I haven't ridden more than 4 GCIs), they've always looked pretty similar with one or two innovations along the way.

GCI = B&M

So, does that pretty much prove that GCI makes a quality ride that isn't going to be the best coaster in the world, and they're all pretty similar? It seems every year GCI comes out with something new that everyone raves about, but as an outsider looking in (because I haven't ridden more than 4 GCIs), they've always looked pretty similar with one or two innovations along the way.

GCI = B&M

Totally agree. GCI has to be the most consistent wood coaster developer out there. I don't think I've ever been on a bad one, and I can honestly say I've enjoyed every single GCI I've ridden.

BUT...there is something about that makes them hard to crack my top ten. It is probably the lack of extreme airtime that I love, but that's just my style preference. I have a lot of GCI's in my "2nd tier" rankings just outside of my top ten.

Some of them get close...and I always look forward to riding them because I know to expect a really solid ride.

I always think that if GCI could make one of their woodies with some extreme elements as TGG, or if TGG can make a woodie that is consistently smooth and maintenance free as a GCI, you'd have the ultimate winning combo.

--Robb

^That's why I'm so anxious to see how Mountain Flyer turns out. They got outside that 80-100 foot "comfort zone" of theirs and took a chance with a monster terrain coaster that might just blow away everything else they or anyone else has ever built. Then again, it could be just a super sized version of all their other coasters. Unfortunately, only a lucky few of us will even get to experience it (hence why I might sell a kidney to go to China in 2012).