TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it that a wooden coaster is missing?

Personally I that whats missing is a tolerable wooden coaster replica/based off of the crystal beach cyclone. I think for its historical reputation and pretty awesome looking layout opening a coaster that follows the same layout could strike lots of interest.

I think the gravity group would be a good choice with a coaster like this due to their use of steel beams over GCI's wider wooden supports.

I can dream right lol...(but seriously check on it)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely say Intamin wooden coasters are the best (if affordable). They stay pretty smooth for the most part (El Toro was a bit rougher this year, but not nearly as bad as a typical woodie), and have AMAZING airtime. If there were another Intamin woodie in the US, I would definitely make a trip out to ride it.

I think a Balder type layout would be perfect for a park just starting out. It gives you a lot of track in a pretty compact area. Also, not having to retrack every year or two helps keep the cost down in the long run. In my opinion, quality over quantity wins every time.

As for El Toro being a little rougher, I didn't notice any differences in my visit this year versus years past. Heck, after 5 park seasons, it's still smoother than almost every B&M I've been on. ...Which is most of them here in the US.

Also, one last thing. Me personally, I go out of my way planning trips to parks that have Intamins. I can't say the same for any other company in the coaster industry, including GCI, GG, or B&M.

Although it would be very difficult, a launched woodie would be really cool to experience. Also, would it be possible to have an inverted wooden coaster?

if you mean inverting, that was recently tried with son of beast...

You're in Louisiana. Terrain isn't really an option and cost will most likely keep you from the likes of a record-setter.

Get Gravity Group to design you an updated version of Mega Zeph. They were there for the design of the first one (although not yet "Gravity Group", it's the same designers) and could tweak that already badass design into something even more awesome.

Hell, just take the original version as it was and smack some Timberliners on it and you're done.

It had a good first drop, a seriously intense second drop into a curving bunny hop, double-downs, double-ups, ejector air, trick track, and a helix. Hell yeah.

Why build something that most of that area has already ridden!?!? Don't they deserve something new!!!!!

To get back on track, the original poster wasn't asking for who or what to build, but what element is a wood coaster missing. To answer that, I don't think there's any new element that any of us REALLY want or expect to see on a wooden coaster. The inversion was lame, no one cares about water splashes, etc.

Half the people you talk to are going to want more laterals and the other half will want more airtime.

Why build something that most of that area has already ridden!?!? Don't they deserve something new!!!!!

Sure, but for a LOT of people in that area, Mega Zeph is a sentimental favorite. The coaster was itself an homage to the old Zephyr coaster from years ago. A new coaster that pays homage to this lost coaster is fitting, IMHO.

Sure, but for a LOT of people in that area, Mega Zeph is a sentimental favorite. The coaster was itself an homage to the old Zephyr coaster from years ago. A new coaster that pays homage to this lost coaster is fitting, IMHO.

Really? Sentimental? For what...the TWO years or so it was open??? Re-building Mega-Zeph would be stupid.

How about just a new woodie that really kicks ass? Something that delivers on a decent height, speed, changes of directions, and lots of airtime. Don't do anything stupid and gimmicky like an inversion, on board audio, or something silly like that. Just a solid, "Top Ten Woodie."

I think that would probably be the best idea.

You build that, and the nine people that had some "sentimental attachment" to Mega-Zeph aren't going to care about it anymore...

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^YES, sentimental feelings for a coaster that was only there a couple of years.

Perhaps folks in the west coast or in PA/OH/NJ don't get it because there are a lot of parks that can be visited within a day's drive, but for folks who have just ONE park in the area and don't have the means to travel, then YES a coaster or a park can quickly become sentimental. It is their child's first (and perhaps only) wood coaster, it was the place for first dates, where you and your school buddies hung out... places where memories are made.

People who grew up in an area with just one park understand what I'm talking about.

Sorry that you don't.

Perhaps folks in the west coast or in PA/OH/NJ don't get it because there are a lot of parks that can be visited within a day's drive, but for folks who have just ONE park in the area and don't have the means to travel, then YES a coaster or a park can quickly become sentimental. It is their child's first (and perhaps only) wood coaster, it was the place for first dates, where you and your school buddies hung out... places where memories are made.

People who grew up in an area with just one park understand what I'm talking about.

Sorry that you don't.

Dude! You are arguing about something that is completely off topic of what the OP was wanting. He didn't ask what roller coaster in the area should be copied, he asked what element people thought would put a wooden roller coaster over the top. We get it, you liked the Mega Zeph. The OP is looking for something that isn't just going to attract locals but something that is going to get the attention of a wider area. Hence, why he posted this on TPR and not a local fan page.

Sorry that you don't.

Dude! You are arguing about something that is completely off topic of what the OP was wanting. He didn't ask what roller coaster in the area should be copied, he asked what element people thought would put a wooden roller coaster over the top. We get it, you liked the Mega Zeph. The OP is looking for something that isn't just going to attract locals but something that is going to get the attention of a wider area. Hence, why he posted this on TPR and not a local fan page.

Eric, the guy is a clueless, fanatical ACEr. Not worth arguing over. I know that I'm right about what I said, and I do appreciate you getting my back.

Sorry Jeff for the thread going off course. There are some people that still need to learn how to read.

Edited by robbalvey

Hhahaha alright I've been shut down pretty good the last two pages. I was just trying to stay on topic ah well it was a stupid idea. I would love to see something solid but also different like a unique layout something that crosses over itself a lot, has a great mix of twisty sections with airtime hills and jut makes you say wow when you look at it. Having a mess of track comparable to a Frank Gehry designed building would offer that "wow" factor.

-Maybe a tunnel with an unexpected drop

-And just an all around beautiful ride. (One people want to take pictures of! )

I agree. Someone mentioned the SCBB pre-lift tunnel, that one is awesome. And yes, a beautiful woodie that people can take pictures of from all over. For example, The Gravity Group's latest creation does just that:

Well to echo previous sentiments, El Toro is a rider's dream, and it delivers on all fronts. If costs/size is an issue though, I think New Mexico rattler is amazing for a woodie under 100 feet. Either Intamin or Gravity Group could make a smaller, affordable amazing ride, I think. Personally, asking what wooden coasters are missing for the most part, I'd say "rediculous airtime".

(El toro is the only wooden ride I've been on where I could describe the air as rediculous, and clearly the coaster community AND the general public have reacted to the greatness of that ride. I've chatted about Six Flags Great Adventure to some people, and despite the record breakers, beemers, and the likes, everyone seems to like el toro the most.)

^ I've also noticed that about El Toro, everyone that rides it that I know all think its the best coaster they have ever been on.

As for a certain element on a wooden coaster that I would like to see, have a few suggestions. Maybe there could be an overbanked turn? I don't know if that would be too stressful on the structure though. I love the idea of a double down in a dark tunnel. The second drop would be unexpected and would be a great thrill. Low to the ground turns like on El Toro would be a great choice for a new ride, just make that section of the ride longer than El Toro's.

I really liked the wooden "shed' structure on Roar at Discovery Kingdom, as well as the structural fly-throughs on Ghost Rider. Flying through the sheds and through the structure heightens the sense of speed, and it feels awesome to reach into the air with the structure flying by. I liked being rattled and I like airtime that is sustained at 0G over longer hills (like low to the ground rather than high hills). Terminator is the only "New" GCI coaster I've ridden, and it is amazing for its size, but it's pretty much complete twistiness. Ghost Rider and Texas Giant are my favorite woodies though, and I am ashamed to admit that, but to save my a$$ I'll add that I rode them in 2002 and 2005 respectively and I'm on the short side .

So, the elements I'd like to see more of are "layered" layouts that go through the structure top to bottom (based on videos, T-Express does that), shed flythroughs, sections that are not all twistiness, and sustained airtime that is "gentler" than the kind on El Toro (which caused me to gasp).

After seeing Robb's POV of Fireball, THAT looks like the kind of woodie I'm describing (except without the wooden shed-thing).

Edited by stormrider

^^I think most of them are built to the same high standard. Prowler wasn't explicitly designed to live through a tornado, now was it? It was designed to 'fare well' on many things. Terminator (and all other modern woodies I'm guessing) are built to survive/fare well a number of obstacles, including earthquakes, but other things too.

I've only been on Gwazi, Wildcat, and Lightning Racer but I'm not too impressed with GCI so far.

I've only been on one Gravity Group--Boardwalk Bullet--so I can't comment too much on them either. One ride I'd consider "copying" is Shivering Timbers. It's very photogenic and has maintained a decent level of popularity for over 12 years.

My favorite coaster overall is El Toro and I would love to see another Intamin prefab in the US. I would definitely make a road trip to Louisiana to ride one. While not exactly an element I would love to see the type of air time a rider receives between 2:20 and 2:26 on more wooden coasters!

This is probably my most favorite part of any roller coaster I've ever ridden!