TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vekoma Roller Coasters

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some great times riding them even if Vekoma built coasters were the only coasters left on Earth!

I'm having trouble decoding this sentence. So, if Vekoma coasters were the last coasters on Earth, you'd enjoy them?

Of course, I mean they're just coasters, but thery're not a pain in the A$$!

• 5 months later...

Hate to bring up an old topic and I've used the search button before posting but as someone who views manufacturer websites to see what's new I noticed Vekoma has updated their site. First a few questions.

For those well-traveled folks who have had the chance to ride Battlestar Galactica Human, how well do those trains track? Is there any shuffling in the turns? Since the sit down trains on Human look very similar to B&M four across trains sans the clam shell restraint, are they comfortable? Since Vekoma is the only big time manufacturer without a hypercoaster do you think we will see a 200-foot traditional hyper using these four across trains or are they too late in the game to even try?

Here's a few pics from their website.

191318830_BattlestarGalacticaHumanSitDownTrain1.jpg.1036e44415c1242ab96622374dbfeba0.jpg

The four across train on BG Human that inspired my questions.

803071214_VekomaMegaLooperVisualization1.jpg.48df3057ffcbfa80dbdf8ea61a5b7902.jpg

Vekoma's Mega Looper. Notice the size of the lift hence the question if Vekoma could possibly do a hyper in the future.

1873047170_VekomasNewFlyingDutchmanVisualization1.jpg.703b296393e8fabfe00469a413ab63a3.jpg

A new Flying Dutchman layout. Look at the interesting zero-G type roll after the second horseshoe turn.

I like how Vekoma is trying to do their best and I think many would agree they improved since the 90s. Though, I still wouldn't trust them with building a coaster unless it is a family coaster. Vekoma has a bad reputation and really they haven't built a coaster that was both reliable and amazingly fun. I hope Vekoma doesn't build a hyper coaster as it probably would be horrible, though they are leading into that direction with Battlestar Galactica and the new "Mega Looper". However, I would be pissed if Knott's announced a Vekoma hyper.

Edited by XYZ

Since Vekoma is the only big time manufacturer without a hypercoaster do you think we will see a 200-foot traditional hyper using these four across trains or are they too late in the game to even try?

I've thought for a while that it would be great to see a taller, non-looping sitdown. There is nothing stopping them from trying it.

Should vekoma's get a bad rap?

Absolutely they should! The only thing funnier than aquatrax jokes or 400 foot inverted wooden standup comments are pissing contests to see who can make Vekoma rides sound worse.

Vekoma's I've Been On and What # I Rate Them:

2.) Goliath, SFNE

4.) Mind Eraser, SFNE

3.) Flashback, SFNE

1.) Aftershock, Silverwood

The G.I.B.'s are Awesome & Smooth, But I prefer Aftershock because of Reliability & Setting.

Flashback was A Little Rough, But was Very Enjoyable.

Mind Eraser was Not Nice To Me on My 1 Ride, but It Wasn't the Worst (The Worst was Bizarro & Cyclone).

i've ridden on a handful of vekoma coaster on or two SLC and boomerang. i don't find the seating coasters to hurt that much. i have ridden the lethal weapon and boy is that ride leathal the new seats look awesome.

The new train on carolina cobra was definitely an improvement.

Lethal Weapon's new trains were designed by KumbaK and definitely deliver a better ride due to no OTSR's. I think the new Vekoma trains seen on the Great Nor'Easter look good as well.

I think Vekoma have received a bad reputation for their older looping coasters/SLC's. I hear their Booster Bike coasters and wooden coasters are actually quite smooth and fun! The new trains Vekoma are starting to put on their looping coasters and boomerangs look really good, and I'm sure are a huge improvement. It seems Vekoma are finally realizing that a rider comfort is actually important when making a coaster...

I think with the new track style that they've been using for the past few years, I'd give them another chance. That being said, I've been on some awful Vekomas in my time.

But just imagine, a hypercoaster with the same, smooth track style as Expedition Everest. I think it would work.

Lethal Weapon's new trains were designed by KumbaK and definitely deliver a better ride due to no OTSR's. I think the new Vekoma trains seen on the Great Nor'Easter look good as well.

I think Vekoma have received a bad reputation for their older looping coasters/SLC's. I hear their Booster Bike coasters and wooden coasters are actually quite smooth and fun! The new trains Vekoma are starting to put on their looping coasters and boomerangs look really good, and I'm sure are a huge improvement. It seems Vekoma are finally realizing that a rider comfort is actually important when making a coaster...

Give them a bit of time & they might become as good as B&M,I like the new layout for the flyer but let's see if they've improved the reliability.

Unfortunately we'll never know if they've fixed the reliability issues. Not much is known about the new GIB in China and how it's doing nor has anyone built a new flyer except for that Stingray concept, also in China, which Vekoma no longer offers on their site.

I read a few reviews of the Stingray in China and it's apparently awesome! Reability is another thing...

Would really love to see the new flyer get built!

Edited by _koppen

I visited in Jan and the GIB broke down while I was on it and got stuck for an 30mins on the first tower, the ride then never reopened. The Stingray then broke down the next day soon after the opening of the park and never reopened.

Maybe i caught them on a bad day. but in my experience they weren't too reliable

• 1 year later...

I've only been on 2 vekoma's in my life (wild mouse at idlewild and sidewinder at Hershey) and I never gotten any head banging people are talking about, (the wild mouse has lap bars do thats one reason) and on sidewinder it was a bit rough, but I didn't get any headbanging, maybe because I dont know what it feels like but I really liked sidewinder, and so did my mom and my little sister so I don't know what the big deal is

Having only ridden 5 of them, my opinion is crap but....I really liked Invertigo (KI), find Firehawk thrilling, and F'ing hated Serial Thriller at Geauga Lake (later SFWOA). Boomerangs are cool with me too (at least Mind Eraser was, again at GL). I think the bad rap maybe has a bit to do with the ubiquity and roughness of SLCs, however, it is an extremely successful design. I would really like to try one of their mine trains!

Edited by firewalk13

The only SLC that I thought was worth a damn was Kumali at Flamingoland, and that's not a standard-issue model. Boomerangs can vary: the one at Knott's is terrible, while the one at Power Park is pretty good. But Vekoma has come through with some very good, interesting rides, too--such as Runaway Mine Cars at Hong Kong Disneyland.

I really like Expedition Everest and if they use that track style on most of their new coasters, they should be really rerideable. The Boomerangs I've been on have been mixed bags. I love their first drops and they are some of the most intense coasters I've been on. I find the ones at the Great Escape and Darien Lake to be glass smooth and very enjoyable coasters. Meanwhile, the ones at Canada's Wonderland and Six Flags New England are really rough. The SLCs I've been on have mostly been awful. Six Flags New England's Mind Eraser is usually bad, but I have been able to get some decent rides on it.

There is actually a really old Vekoma boomerang in Ocean City MD! I rode it just about a week ago in the very front and back seats. I was really caught off guard because of the coasters age. Its actually still really smooth. The front is cool when you are going over the cobra roll and you get the hangtime on the last inversion! From a reliability standpoint, the ride seems OK. The one thing that told me they were having some issues was that they changed the locking systems of the restraints. Instead of being automatic, there is a little peddle on the side of each car, that you push down on to release the restraints!

trmp_tw.jpg.800d3407651bd2eab0d35512964f3e5c.jpg

pedal.thumb.jpg.58106f50a37f04b351668057093bbf83.jpg

You can actually see it in the bottom corner of the car here.

I actually like most Vekoma rides.

Slc's. No they are not the most pleasent rides at times. However for the most part, I think a normal woody gives you a bigger rumble than a SLC. Besides the layout is really fun.

I don't like the normal boomerangs that much. But with the new trains vekoma offers, its a pretty decent ride.

Mine trains are just a lot of fun. And GIBS and flyers.. I think we can all agree these are awesome rides.

I just really hope Vekoma can put something new on the market that actually works.

I think Vekoma get a bad rap from a lot of enthusiasts and I think it mainly stems from how widely available their SLC's and older Boomerangs are as those seem to be the Vekomas that most complain about. I think people ride those and complain that they are rough but no one hears all the enjoyment and and praise when people ride a good Vekoma.

Some of the Vekomas i've ridden over the last few months have been fantastic, for example, Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars is one of the smoothest rides i've ever ridden. It seems to have amazing throughput, awesome ride and (on the day we visited) ran flawlessly all day.

Gravity Max (Yes it's old) but it run superbly, nice and smooth and a very unique ride experience. Shame it's not a slight bit longer.

Roller Skaters too are not bad and most run nicely, especially the ones with the new trains.

Big Air is a nice smooth ride, yes, it has no turns anymore but it's smooth and thrilling.

The GIB's are great. I totally didn't give the first one I rode at MM much praise. I honestly don;t know why because to me it seemed to run fine. The one in China also ran nicely.

I have to say not all of their SLC's are terrible. As Chuck stated Kumali is one of the better ones. I did ride it about 1 month ago and it is rougher than previously but I guess that is to be expected.

I think Vekoma really are doing great things to iron out there reputation for some of the not so good SLC's and boomerangs.

I think when enthusiasts say, "Vekomas are rough," it is simply a slightly exaggerated, but true, generalization. When I get on an SLC I expect to experience some headbanging, that's just how it is. That doesn't mean that Vekoma doesn't build smooth coasters, there are just more rough ones.

It's the same reason why people say newer B&Ms are forceless, or that Intamins are less reliable. These are just generalizations based on past experiences.

Well I've been on 4 Vekomas. The older two, Infusion and Corkscrew (Flamingo Land) were awful, whereas the newer two, Velocity and Kumali, are decent rides. I think that's the general feeling around all Vekoma -the new ones are quite good but the older ones are awful.