TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

The park get's decently crowded in the summer, lines can get to the bottom of towers some times(Not the body slides though, they never get more than two or three flights) Most people who go are season pass holders though, the area doesn't really have a public pool so people just treat the park as one.

^ Do you know if attendance is still good at the park? Maybe it's just because that the park does well enough with it's current compliment of attractions that they don't need to add anything that frequently. I know plenty of water parks that do just fine and only add a new attraction every five years or so. Look at Adventure Island at Busch Gardens Tampa, for example, they got a new slide this year, but I think the last time they got something was close to 5 or 6 years ago, and that park does great business!

We went about 3 years ago mainly to get pictures of the old ride side from across the lake, and while in the waterpark there was not very many people. It was a warm day, and there was maybe 50 cars in the lot.

It looks like a nice waterpark.

It has been my understanding that the trains were left out in the elements to rot. Not sure how true this is.

This is true, The trains are still on the property but they are in pretty rough shape, They were stored uncovered for several years but they are at least tarped now. If you look at Bing maps they are sitting behind the south admin buildings between the employee entrance and a maintenance shop. On google earth they're on top of the adjacent hill south west of the admin building where the old green houses are.

• 3 months later...

After much hemming and hawing, I think I'm finally going to make another trip out to (what's left of) Geauga Lake this week, primarily for Wildwater Kingdom.

Since I can find almost no information regarding it online and no one has posted this summer, how manageable are crowds on summer weekends? It seems most people just ignore this place in lieu of Cedar Point/Kings Island/Columbus Zoo but I really wanted to check it out since he last time I was there was when it was still Sea World.

No you can stay in the river as long as you'd like. All the slides are good, the body slides are intense but you'll feel the rivets on your back. The Tornado slide is fun but the same as any other Tornado slide at dozens of other water parks. And the tube slides well they're standard tube slides. Still though a great fun water park, especially on a hotter day it's a great way to spend a few hours and relax.

• 4 months later...
Its a nice thought to incorporate the coaster. But I doubt the company has any desire to do so; hiring an outside company to maintain and operate the ride seem more likely. And thats IF they decode to keep the ride.

No way the ride stays. I'm guessing they'll do something similar to what long beach did with the pike---a roller coaster facade to reference what was once there.

Its a nice thought to incorporate the coaster. But I doubt the company has any desire to do so; hiring an outside company to maintain and operate the ride seem more likely. And thats IF they decode to keep the ride.

No way the ride stays. I'm guessing they'll do something similar to what long beach did with the pike---a roller coaster facade to reference what was once there.

But, when the Pike was being designed, I believe there was once a plane to build a coaster and it got scrapped. So, ya never know.

• 1 month later...

Geauga.thumb.jpg.dab86952cbc56e5baef666180cd7edb5.jpg

Noticed this on a few posts on Geauga Lake Facebook groups. Some clean up is happening at the Big Dipper, as evident by the picture attached. One is a fly over from August 2015, one is from Jan. 2016. A few people on the Geauga Lake fan page on the website said that some wood on the Big Dipper has been replaced, especially where this screen dump is from. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

^ That stack of wood is also present in the first (left) picture as well along with the green box thing. It doesn't really show anything new. To me, I don't see any new work or wood at all. I'm pretty sure if someone was working on re tracking it, we all would know by now by seeing more construction vehicles and a stock pile of materials.

thumb_geauga.jpgNoticed this on a few posts on Geauga Lake Facebook groups. Some clean up is happening at the Big Dipper, as evident by the picture attached. One is a fly over from August 2015, one is from Jan. 2016. A few people on the Geauga Lake fan page on the website said that some wood on the Big Dipper has been replaced, especially where this screen dump is from. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

OMG!!! THE MAGICAL WOOD FAIRIES ARE SECRETLY REPLACING WOOD ON TEH BIG DIPPER!!!! OMG!!!!

Seriously, people....1782240528_letitgo.gif.ecf510ca2e84aebf584f8f644859d7fc.gif

Edited by robbalvey

Looks like they might have cleared a tree or two, but that's about it.

Anyone who thinks Cedar Fair would replace wood on a coaster that will never see a park reopen around it is crazy. The only chance Big Dipper has is a smaller park buying it and rebuilding the thing from scratch. Weren't the trains left out to rot?

thumb_geauga.jpgNoticed this on a few posts on Geauga Lake Facebook groups. Some clean up is happening at the Big Dipper, as evident by the picture attached. One is a fly over from August 2015, one is from Jan. 2016. A few people on the Geauga Lake fan page on the website said that some wood on the Big Dipper has been replaced, especially where this screen dump is from. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

OMG!!! THE MAGICAL WOOD FAIRIES ARE SECRETLY REPLACING WOOD ON TEH BIG DIPPER!!!! OMG!!!!

Seriously, people....[attachment=0]let it go.gif[/attachment]