TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Looking at it from AT/Merlin's POV the OTSR/Lap bar debate was a complete non-starter.

This is a park/park operator that won't install a woodie in this country because their research points to the British public feeling that they are not safe. If a type of coaster that has been around as long as the woodie has people concerned why on earth would they put lapbars on the coaster with the most inversions on the planet?

I think these cars look great! A reason as to why use OTSR's is that the general public often feels unsafe in them (Show a photograph of Iron Shark to your friends and family and you'll see what I mean). I've heard this is also the reason why Merlin don't buy their parks wooden roller coasters.

I bet I know why they have shoulder harnesses. Check out the fronts of the cars, as well as those on Fluch von Novgorod. They're all very minimalistic and open-air. If you go ahead and place big old anchors for T-bars in front of the riders, you lose that open-air feeling.

Plus, this ride could have very quick and intense transitions that we don't know about. I'm pretty sure that's the reason why the accordion shoulder harnesses were used on Olympia Looping, Bullet and West Edmonton Mindbender.

Just to bring back a old discussion about the ride: What is the world first feature?

First we thought it had a Secret Element but it doesn't look like it any more.

Then we thought something like 4d trains (With effect for the tickler and other arms.)

But if it isn't in the track and not on the trains, what is left? Are they going for something gimmicky (I have no other word for it right now) like: World first single track double dueler or world first 14 inversion roller coaster? Kinda have a bad feeling about the world first of this ride.

Just to bring back a old discussion about the ride: What is the world first feature?

First we thought it had a Secret Element but it doesn't look like it any more.

Then we thought something like 4d trains (With effect for the tickler and other arms.)

But if it isn't in the track and not on the trains, what is left? Are they going for something gimmicky (I have no other word for it right now) like: World first single track double dueler or world first 14 inversion roller coaster? Kinda have a bad feeling about the world first of this ride.

Maybe they realized what happened with Thirteen and decided to keep the world first simple this time. And so far, I think they've pulled it off.

I have to say I really like the look of the trains, yes it's shame they don't the iron shark lapbar style but it's really not the end of the world and it won't make much difference that people won't ride it now it has over the shoulder harnesses (oh except my dad, he won't ride rides with OTSR).

It will be very interesting to see this 4 row trains flying around.

Some action regarding the Marmaliser today:

7368_464023013668148_178475460_n.jpg

(Source: Towersstreet)

The base and the first arm.

579743_10151608201203185_1688378488_n.jpg

(Scource: Towerstimes)

A arm being lift up.

Looking at the pictures and the place, my guess The Flasher arm is the first arm.

Edited by RCT3Bross

TowersStreet posted their March 29th update:

www.towersstreet.com/uncategorized/2013/29th-march-2013/

A few images from the update include:

p1150312_zpsf87da5b0.thumb.jpg.d9820b5eec4951e0fa23f6377a4e7111.jpg

Staring up at The Smiler's Cobra Roll and Staffordshire Knot (Smiley) and station.

p1150313_zps2cb05f6c.thumb.jpg.70374c47ef3697889400cecde1037381.jpg

A great view from Oblivion queue over to The Smiler and the station.

p1150328_zpsde2bce51.thumb.jpg.74a9162a6d5ca1ee13175f794a632059.jpg

One completed dive loop and one semi-completed dive loop. Love the interaction the final layout is going to have with all the elements.

My brother in law was there today - I missed out

He sent me a quick vid of the progress. Sorry not technologically advanced enough to post it. When seeing it panned across it looks superb. Simply MUST get down there this summer.

^Is that a barrel roll or a corkscrew in the last picture? It reminds me of the roll on Zoosafari's eurofighter, from that angle.

I presume that the inversion that passes through the supports of the sea-serpent roll is a heartline roll, while the one that passes through the dive loop is a corkscrew.