TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^for 2015, add 2 points to Voyage smoothness and 4 points to Legend smoothness

Sounds awesome! So getting out here this year, seems like this is the best time to finally go

It depends on how late in the season you go. It's always hard to tell how well they're gonna hold up

Well again my hands are pretty tied to late august, but I like an "aggressive" ride and I am still well under 40 so I will take my chances!

I want to clarify a bit my earlier post. I by no means meant to say that The Voyage is as smooth as a steel coaster because thats just not true. Being rough is the nature of the beast when it comes to wooden coasters. I rode it at media preview day and it was running very well. I'm 34 and suffered a stroke about a year and a half ago yet I was still able to ride(albeit only once). What I"m saying is that it is by no means overly rough and I think people THINK its overly rough because of how fast and intense the ride is combined with the nature roughness of a wooden coaster. On the 1-10 scale with 1 being the roughest I'd place The Voyage (based on my one ride on media preview day) of about 5, right in the middle. Now as far as intensity, with 10 being the most intense it gets a 10 no questions asked. Add those two together and well, I think thats why many people complain of it being more rough than it is.

I will also say, I don't think your really taking any "chances" even if you don't end up liking it. The Voyage is one of those rides that is a very unique experience. Even if you don't end up liking it you will be certainly glad you rode it at least once. I know your trip isn't until August but I'm really interested in a trip report from you when you return!

All good! Just a bit of fun I'm having anyway. I've been wanting to ride Voyage since it opened pretty much so I'm stoked.

I'd say I actually like a rough ride, if its fun/intense I can tolerate it (boring and rough on the other hand sucks) the only coaster I actually found TOO rough was Villain at Geauga Lake, the last year of its operation. I somehow think this won't be that bad

Thanks so much for all your help and replies. We might be making a spontaneous trip this weekend if the weather looks water-worthy (if I'm going, I have to ride those water coasters). I think reading everyone's thoughts, sounds like maybe I should save Voyage for the end of the day, that way if it roughs me up it doesn't ruin my experience. Thanks again!

I'm 29 and in good shape. Is the Voyage too rough for me? No. Is the Voyage too rough to be fun? Yes.

I'm hoping Thunderbird is a winner, so I'll have another coaster I enjoy riding in the park aside from Raven.

Hey guys! First time posting over here, looking for some help. Looking to venture out your way from the St. Louis area for a day trip with the wife. Wondering though, overall how rough on a scale of 1-10 would you rate the roughness of the woodies at Holiday World? Being from St. Louis area, Im wondering if they are more or less painful than The Boss at SF:STL for those that have visited both parks. I occasionally experience neck pain and some woodies (ex: The Boss) are just too painful for me to enjoy. Wanted to know before I venture out, thanks for any help you can provide. Congrats on Thunderbird, it looks amazing.

All I can tell you about the Voyage is, no one in my family rides it anymore. I was the last hold out. We all ride rollercoasters to have fun. And it's just not fun to us. I would seriously caution you if you have experienced any kind of neck or back pain. Haters call it rough, fanboys call it aggressive. Whatever you choose to call it, it is an experience unlike no other coaster out there. Good, bad, or otherwise.

Holiday World is an awesome park with one of the most family friendly staff and fun family attractions around, and is well worth the price if you decide to ride the Voyage or not. My family and I love the place. We can't wait to get out there this year and experience Thunderbird for the first time.

Totally agree! Not a fan of Voyage, but it's a great park!

Thought I'd add to the conversation - I'm nearly 50 and I don't find the Voyage too rough at all. Intense? Yes. Rough? No.
I'm 29 and in good shape. Is the Voyage too rough for me? No. Is the Voyage too rough to be fun? Yes.

I'm hoping Thunderbird is a winner, so I'll have another coaster I enjoy riding in the park aside from Raven.

So just like every other time that there's been a discussion of the roughness/intensity of the Voyage, it all comes back around rider preference. Some love it, some hate it, some just think its a decent ride. All that it comes down to is riding it for yourself and either continuing to ride it or choosing not to ride again.

Opinion:

Is the Voyage a bad ride? No. Could it be incredibly awesome with a smoother track (i.e. topper track)? Yes.

Maybe if they served alcohol Voyage would be more fun?

Just sayin'.

The park in general would be more fun, especially with the water park. My wife and I don't care for dry parks. We like to relax and have a few beers in the evening in between rides. It sounds petty, but it really kind of 'makes' the experience for us. (especially her, since she's not so into parks)

On the flip side, I can understand why they don't. I'll say bluntly that some of the clientele seem like the type of people who could really get out of control if alcohol were sold at the park. However, I feel like you could counter act some of that by charging a very pretty penny per drink. Usually the $12 for a 24 case of Nadi-lite people don't really care for paying $10 for a quality beer.

Lastly, I should have put emphasis on my post about the Voyage. I'm just expressing my own personal view point, and that of my wife. Of course everyone will view every ride differently.

I spent the whole day at the park today and had a good time despite crappy weather. Crowds were pretty low and died off by 3 because of the rain. The water park was partially closed off (The Wave and Hyena Falls) as well as some restaurants being closed. All of the rides, for the most part, ran in moderate rain, which is good. The only ride that was closed all day was Crow's Nest, but no loss there.

As for the current state of the coasters:

The Raven is pretty normal, being fun, but a little rough in the final third of the ride.

The Legend is still has the most impressive trackwork IMO. Much improved compared to the last few years.

The Voyage is running very well since it is the beginning of the season, so take it for what it's worth. I understand why many don't like the Voyage, as it's very aggressive. Different people have different tastes in wooden coasters. I personally see it as a great wooden coaster with a little room for improvement, being second only to Outlaw Run for me.

Didn't they have some trouble with Crow's Nest (was The Sparkler then) last year as well? I seem to remember them having trouble sourcing a part needed to repair it quickly. Or am I just remembering wrong? Maybe I'm thinking of Liberty Launch? Arggg my memory these days.....

This is probably going to sound absolutely crazy to even think about right now, but I'm curious when we might hear what's in store for 2016? Of course I don't expect anything even remotely close to as huge as Thunderbird, but they always add at least something. Anyone notice anything interesting going on anywhere in the park yet? I keep reading for hints and or clues on the Holiblog but haven't spotted anything yet. Paula - you can go ahead and hit me upside the head with a frying pan for even THINKING about 2016 already lol. I know I know I'm prolly WAYYYYYY jumping the gun here. Lol

Jumping the gun on next years expansion? lol We've been known to jump several years ahead on this thread... It's just what we do.

I feel as though Holiday World is in a rather curious spot for 2016's expansion. Most of the time, you would ride the high of a new coaster's success going into the next couple of years, but the there are a couple of factors that think might change that thinking for the park. 1. They really need to do something with Pilgrim Plunges former site. 2. Dollywood, (who Holiday World considers to be one of their biggest competitors) is adding a new coaster and it really hasn't been a secret at all throughout the industry. I'm not saying the park should drop another 20 million dollar attraction, as that would be a horrible business decision imo. Now something that is very marketable and grabs people's attention in a Holiday World fashion? That is sort of what I'm expecting. I know the park is hoping to bring in a bunch of new guests this year and are able to retain them through their value, and charm, which I'm sure they will be able to for the most part. But as somebody who is in a management position at my job, anytime we're able to bring in new customers, we always go the extra mile to ensure they will return. So adding a little extra thrill to the park (weather it be in the water or dry park) wouldn't be a bad decision in my mind, especially when one of your top competitors is adding a major thrill (RMC launched coaster?). Just my line of thinking.

^ Well no park in the country can quite keep up with Dolly the past several years with 2012 Wild Eagle, 2014 Firechaser Express, and now 2016 (RMC).

I'd be happy with the park adding something near Hyena Falls and incorporating the former Pilgrim's Plunge site. Hyena Falls is in an isolated and awkward position currently even though it is a part of a bigger expansion planned down the road.

I too really think we will see something happen with the Pilgrims Plunge old spot and around Hyena Falls. I just don't see some thing in the 20 million range happening again, lol. But I also think it will be something more... Exciting than like just new cabanas and the such. The problem with that area is with all the new construction from Thunderbird in the area it will be hard to tell ahead of time if anything really IS going on over there until it's obvious. Miss Paula - You are MORE than welcome to help us out here a bit if you want! Lol

^ Well no park in the country can quite keep up with Dolly the past several years with 2012 Wild Eagle, 2014 Firechaser Express, and now 2016 (RMC).

I'd be happy with the park adding something near Hyena Falls and incorporating the former Pilgrim's Plunge site. Hyena Falls is in an isolated and awkward position currently even though it is a part of a bigger expansion planned down the road.

Don't forget Mystery Mine in 2010. That one wasn't cheap either. They've been adding huge new rides every other year for a while now.

I agree that HW's next move will likely be a waterpark expansion. Thunderbird will be enough for coaster fans for a while, so I don't see them immediately building another coaster. They just don't do that. They have a very rounded ride collection to appeal to families with varied interests. That's their big selling point, and they're not about to lose it. But since the waterpark has virtually all the popular slide types, about the only thing they could build is a drop capsule slide, or else something unheard of.

^ From the water slides that they do have it would appear as HW has attempted to avoid body slides as a whole. The only body slides they have are in the two play structures. While I love the drop slides and could see them at HW eventually, I really like that I can partake in most every attraction in the Splashin' Safari while wearing my water shoes and shirt.

Don't forget Mystery Mine in 2010. That one wasn't cheap either. They've been adding huge new rides every other year for a while now.

Mystery Mine opened in 2007.

2006 = Timber Tower

2008 = River Battle

2010 = Adventure Mountain ($5 million!)

2011 = Barnstormer

^ That long ago.... I swear, everything from 2007 to 2011 is a blur. Having kids will do that. But thanks for the expanded list. Dollywood has been investing heavily for about a decade, and it's paying off.

If HW is consciously avoiding body slides, what about that looping raft slide prototype we saw a few months ago? That would certainly turn some heads.