TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Honestly, It seems to me that this probably happens a lot on The Legend and Raven. Especially more so on The Legend where a lot of laterals are in play causing the structure to shift to the right or left (The spot pictured on The Legend being one of them). As others above have said, those boards really play no importance in supporting the actual ride other than to connect each bent together. So I say after many years of the structure shifting and the vibrations from the train passing through, the boards and the nails holding them worked their way back out.

While on the subject of The Legend's structure, I remember somebody posting on here saything that The Legend was the most over-supported roller coaster they've ever seen. One: the ride itself sits on a hill side, which means the highest points of the structure catches a lot of wind and could cause it sway. Two: The extreme laterals call for a wide support structure in the turns.

I feel like The Legend is a very underrated coaster. The turn right after you pass under the lift gets me everytime as I tend to forget how extremely you're thrown to the left of the train. I always thought it would be cool if they could remove the seat dividers and create that Scrambler effect of feeling like you're going to end up in the others person lap when you go through the turns. Also, for some reason I just love the wolf howling sound when the train gets ready to make it's first drop. Not so much on the ride, but I love hearing it throughout the park.

And I'm hearing they are down again today. Maybe they'll reopen later this afternoon, but who knows.

It appears Thunderbird is back to being fully operational

Glad they got it back up and running, but it was very frustrating to have it down all day Saturday (including the Voyage). My family went for my daughter's Choir Competition, we were all looking forward to riding it. No such luck. On a good note, her choir placed 1st and 2nd in two categories.

^ Please know it was unbelievably frustrating for us, too. It's always our intent to have every ride open every day - we sincerely apologize that that didn't happen on Saturday. If you'd like to send us an email, please direct it to fun -at- holidayworld.com Congratulations to your daughter and her ensemble!

Where have you have found Thunderbird ice cream in you grocery store and your location? I have not found it in Nashville yet.

Here's what the ice cream guy at Prairie Farms told me: Priceless Foods on Old Hickory Blvd. (yes, he can be so cold ....)

They're still working on placement in additional stores - so don't hesitate to "demand" Thunderbird Ice Cream at your store if it normally carries PF products.

Where have you have found Thunderbird ice cream in you grocery store and your location? I have not found it in Nashville yet.

Here's what the ice cream guy at Prairie Farms told me: Priceless Foods on Old Hickory Blvd. (yes, he can be so cold ....)

They're still working on placement in additional stores - so don't hesitate to "demand" Thunderbird Ice Cream at your store if it normally carries PF products.

Thanks Paula! I found Thunderbird ice cream yesterday.I bought a carton and absolutely love it! I have to put the carton up now before I make myself sick on it!

Edited by thrillerman1

Glad its all fixed one of those things with new rides. 1 more sleep till I fly state side and next Wednesday for holiday world. Will do a brits 1st trip report when I get back.

Not often I get a new coaster these days and I get 3 new parks in the next couple of weeks.

Stu K

Just rode Thunderbird for the first time. Super fun coaster!! Fits in very well with Holiday World's already very good lineup. It's my second favorite in the park behind Voyage.

Speaking of Voyage, my first two rides on it this morning were in the front without getting up. The first of which was a solo ride. SO amazing, and an awesome way to kick off my coaster season. Right now, it's riding better than ever, and still sits comfortably in my #1 coaster spot.

^ That's great to hear!

A few people I went to junior college with were at the park yesterday and I just got done speaking to them. All I asked them was how their trip went and the first words out of their mouths were about how incredible Thunderbird was (keep in mind that they are non-enthusiasts). They went on for about 5 mins about the ride. The only thing I was thinking the whole time was that Holiday World has a huge winner on their hands. There is a lot of buzz about Holiday World throughout the surrounding area and hopefully beyond. Hoping to hear about a record breaking season at the end of the year and really looking forward to some 2016 speculation. Really interested to see what the park does to follow up Thunderbird.

It's looking like I will indeed have to do HW in August, and it's only open weekends. I see the 22nd there is a concert going on, would it be advisable to wait until Sunday the 23rd for lesser crowds/still have time to do all the coasters?

^ I haven't attended Rock The World, but I'm 99.9% sure someone on here did at one time and said it was pretty crowded.

That someone is me and yes it is very crowded that day. Definitely go the following Sunday, unless you are interested in the concert.

Excellent, thank you. I am not interested, and am extremely not interested in the crowds it will bring!

I'll find a way to kill time that Saturday and go Sunday...maybe Indiana Beach for the day? Or see if I can hang with my friend in Cincy for another day. Regardless, I'll go Sunday the 23rd thanks!I'm hoping crowds may be OK since it'll be late-ish August and a Sunday. After lots of figuring, that is indeed the only time I can make this happen.

Still looking forward to it! Hoping I can get re rides on the coasters, I have no interest in the water park.

^ Exactly, Indiana Beach is much farther away from Santa Claus then Beech Bend and Kentucky Kingdom. Indiana Beach is on the complete other side of the state.

Excellent, thank you. I am not interested, and am extremely not interested in the crowds it will bring!

I'll find a way to kill time that Saturday and go Sunday...maybe Indiana Beach for the day? Or see if I can hang with my friend in Cincy for another day. Regardless, I'll go Sunday the 23rd thanks!I'm hoping crowds may be OK since it'll be late-ish August and a Sunday. After lots of figuring, that is indeed the only time I can make this happen.

Still looking forward to it! Hoping I can get re rides on the coasters, I have no interest in the water park.

You at least should ride Wildebeest and Mammoth. They are can't miss attractions in the water park. Youll have plenty of time for rerides on the coasters in the afternoon while everyone else is at the water park.

I heard today that the crates in the thunderbird station were replaced with large cabinets for stowing loose articles. I was happy to hear this because when I visited a couple of weeks ago the congestion between riders exiting and boarding trying to get to the crates was pretty bad.

Kentucky Kingdom and Beech Bend Park are always options too, and much closer than IB.

Yikes no kidding, I google mapped it and had no idea it was that far. Good suggestions, thanks.

^ Exactly, Indiana Beach is much farther away from Santa Claus then Beech Bend and Kentucky Kingdom. Indiana Beach is on the complete other side of the state.

You at least should ride Wildebeest and Mammoth. They are can't miss attractions in the water park. Youll have plenty of time for rerides on the coasters in the afternoon while everyone else is at the water park.

Yeah? Well, thanks yall. It's definitively settled then! Not sure what I'd do without TPR in terms of trip planning