TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NO SINGLE RIDER (for this particular ride)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

On my ususal habit of looking up old post and bringing them back to new life I decided to do it to one of my old threads.

I went to a lawn party last week and rode almost all the rides they had ( they only had six rides I could go on), some even twice, but they had three rides which enforced the "NO SINGLE RIDER" rule: The scrambler, the Paratrooper, and The Ferris wheel. The other three rides, The Dragon Wagon ( A kiddie coaster), The Swings, and The Merry-go-round, allowed me to ride by myself. I was able to find a partner to ride the Scrambler and the Paratrooper, but no one for the Ferris Wheel.

It go me thinking about today's rides at lawn parties: they have been a lot of them enforcing their "NO SINGLE RIDERS" policies more recently, yet if I found the same ride at an amusement park I'll be allow to ride in a car by myself. I find this interesting, lawn party rides are more likely to enforce their "NO SINGLE RIDER" policies compare to an amusement park ( at Kings Dominion, the only ride you cannot ride by yourself is the Americana - their Giant Wheel ).

Is it a wonder why I rather go to an amusement park than a lawn party?

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!

In Pennsylvania, the "No Single Riders" ferris wheel law was enacted before the Morey's Piers tragedy. It was actually enacted to help prevent such an accident like Morey's Piers in which it was believed that an accompanied person is much less likely to attempt suicide or dangerous misbehavior compared to a single rider. I originally thought the rule came from Chance as a manufacturer restriction, but it's actually is a PA State Law.

Some parks enacted no single riders for their antique car rides. I know when Geauga Lake was SFWoA they enacted that rule on the Merrie Oldies. I also believe I saw a no single riders sign on Martin's Fantasy Island's antique cars.

Speaking of MFI, you cannot ride Flight as a single rider but I believe that is due to balancing the ride. Do the Six Flags Skyscreamers have a no single rider policy?

There was a time I was at the Kentucky State Fair and the Inverter ride had a no single riders sign. I looked around to see if there would be anyone willing to pair up with me, but it didn't seem like there would be any other single riders that were about to ride. I got in line anyways and the operator told me I could get on anyways, I just chose a row with a few people in it already. I guess it wasn't strict that I find someone to get on the ride with me. And for old single lap-bar rides that require partners, I did go to a local county fair a few years ago that had a loop-o-plane and I got to ride it completely by myself.

As for rides that are strict with it, both Ring-of-Fire rides that I've been on (one at KY state fair, and the other at the Seattle amusement park) didn't allow singles. KY State Fair, I found a girl who was willing to ride with me, but never got on due to them having problems with it.

There is a sign at The Wildcat at HersheyPark instructing single riders to board toward the middle of the train. I looked at it, and said "yeah, right!" Then got my front seat ride on the most boring wooden coaster I have ever ridden.

Thunderbolt has been no single riders since at least the 80s. It's worth it though, for such a great classic ride.

At Lakemont, a friend and I attempted to get on the Skydiver, but the both of us couldn't fit! And they wouldn't let us ride alone, which stunk. Oh well. Remembering the days when I was 11 bouncing all over the inside of a Skydiver cabin alone Good times!

I was at a State Fair back in August of last year. The only rides I rode on were the Wave Swinger, ARM Drop Tower and Wipeout. Every other ride had signs that said: No Single Riders.

Back in 2007, I rode almost everything there with no problems.

I've actually (recently) done a Chance Wipeout, solo. This was down at Knotts and it was definitely insane, to the point I felt safer actually hanging on! Definitely a fun experience!

The Zipper I know is one that requires 2 riders...in fact, next month a fellow TPR member (Blue Fire Guy) and I are looking at hitting up a local county fair so we can both lose our Zipper virginity. I'm actually pretty curious to see how Zippers are.

^Zippers are terrifying to be honest. They make noises and sound like they are about to fall apart, no joke. And the restraint IS the door haha.

I have no problem with any other ride, but when it comes to Zippers... hell no. Did it once, had to yell at the operator to E-Stop it so he could let me off.

I once rode on a Zipper with a partner, and that ride was both terrifying and thrilling at the same time. At other times, I couldn't ride the Zipper as a single rider ( Methinks they don't want you to be sliding around as the car flips you every which way but loose).

As for the Thunderbolt in Kennywood, I can understand why you need a partner to ride with, but years ago when they had the turnpike, I was turned away due to their "NO SINGLE RIDER" policy. I couldn't understand why that particular ride needed two people per car ( Why: were they afraid I was going to fall out?). Well, I did get a ride on the turnpike when I brought my friend to the park. Besides Thunderbolt, I also think the Log Jammer as had a "NO SINGLE RIDER" policy and would have those singles team up to ride those logs.

Yes, I do remember the Morey's Pier incident in which a single rider on the giant wheel tried to commit suicide by jumping off, and the park figured that having two or more people in the same car would prevent such a incident. But what if you have two riders that decided to both jump from the giant wheel ( advacate here)? Highly unlikely; if those two wanted to kill themselves, then they should ride the Zipper!

But methinks that single riders are happy that there are many rides they can go on without attracting attention; such as, Swings, Merry-go-Rounds, Frisbees, Drop Towers, Disc-O, Tea Cups, Flying Scooter, The Whip, Bumper Cars, Pirate Ships, Dark Rides, etc. I do know that when I'll be heading to an amusement park with my riding partner, then I'll have no trouble getting any ride regardless what their ride policy is.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

^Zippers are terrifying to be honest. They make noises and sound like they are about to fall apart, no joke.

This is good! (However I am sorry the ride wasn't good for you.) It's been a few years since I rode one, can't wait to ride one again. I grew up riding Zipper's; got 110 flips once (I know some even nerdier people who got more!). Most rides we are used to have redundant safety mechanisms (see B&M wing rider vests). Rides that make noise are good! To me, it's part of the ride experience. Quiet is cool too, just a different experience. Heck, I used to ride those carnival rides alone as a little kid and flopped around all over in those cabins - good times!

Lagoon was unique in that no single riders were allowed in the first or back row of any of the coasters.
This is done because of the two deaths from single riders in the back seat of Puff and Roller Coaster in 1989 and so in the event of an incident, those in the front can see the track and the back the entire train.

Can't remember this for any German or even European ride. You can go alone on Schwarzkopf Monsters (one bench for up to 3 persons, one lapbar), HUSS Dancers (older ones also having one bench without having slip-under protection like newer ones) and of course all ferris-wheels.

I guess most showmen would protest any kind of rule like this - may it be coming from the manufacturer or from the government.

I can see the reasoning behind the rule on the rafting ride,but they should better post a weight limit. But here stupid behaviour normally waives all reimbursements for any injury. If here's a sign "Do not stand up" you get no payment even if you can stand up as single rider.

Aside form that I could ride the Rock-O-Plane as single riderat Santa Cruz Broadwalk

I have faced the single rider challenge on several ferris wheels in various places, both at parks and traveling carnivals and fairs. I went to the Maryland state fair last year and found that at least 3 or 4 rides had a no single rider policy, including the zipper. I was 42 years old and had never ridden a zipper, and found to my dismay the "no single riders" sign right when I went to get in line. However, as luck would have it, there were three little girls (all around 8-10 years old) waiting first in line to ride, with no one behind them. Well, I knew the zipper only seated 2 people to a car, so asked one of the girls if she didn't mind riding with me. So that worked out really well - no waiting, no searching for a ride partner. And yes, the zipper is indeed like being inside of an old noisy clothes dryer (sans heat, unless maybe it's really hot outside) set on air-dry and fluff! I can see where many would find it scary, as it did have quite a good dose of negative g's and a feeling that I was going to be slammed face-first right into the ground when the car came around the lower part of the circuit. But it was fun, and I'd gladly do it again if I ever get the chance.

The other place that used to irk me with a "no single rider" policy was SFMM - because many years ago I was an avid back seat rider on many coasters (not any more for the most part due to my bad back) and SFMM prohibits (or at least they did in the late 90's and early 00's) single riders in the back seat. I loved riding Goliath in the back seat but it was a rare treat as I was usually there alone because I did contract work for their costuming department and when I was done my job, I'd just go into the park and ride. But at least you can still ride the coaster (they only had this policy for coasters, because a lady who was riding alone in the back fell out on Colossus not long after it opened; guess they figured people would be less likely to fall out if they were accompanied by another rider. But my understanding of why she fell out was due to her being very overweight and not simply riding alone), unlike rides with no single riders permitted anywhere on the ride.

I occasionally run into the no single riders rule, most commonly on rides with a very simple restraint system (such as a single position lapbar). I'm pretty sure it's for safety reasons as usually the seat is long enough that an average rider could turn sideways and slip out of the restraints if there isn't anyone with them. In my experience, the rule is most common on Falling Stars, Zippers, and Ferris Wheels, but I've occasionally seen it on other flat rides (though I've never seen it on a ride with individual restraints).

For roller coasters, I've only seen a no single rider rule three times:

-The Hi-Miler (travelling coaster owned by Ray Cammack Shows) requires two riders per row due to very strong lateral forces and a shared lap bar.

-Funtown Splashtown U.S.A.'s Wild Mouse requires at least two riders per car, although not necessarily two riders per row.

-Six Flags Magic Mountain requires at least one rider on each side of Green Lantern to prevent excessive rotations.