TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

That's actually part of the theming. It's the bottom of a punji pit that'll go right underneath where you fall. Goes with the whole tribal "drop of doom" scenerio.

Those are big footings for just theming the base of the footings is about 30'x30'. In the photo the footing looks small because it was back filled. The photos where taken over a few days not all at once.

That's actually part of the theming. It's the bottom of a punji pit that'll go right underneath where you fall. Goes with the whole tribal "drop of doom" scenerio.

Those are big footings for just theming the base of the footings is about 30'x30'. In the photo the footing looks small because it was back filled. The photos where taken over a few days not all at once.

That makes more sense, thanks for the input.

Knowing how Six Flags likes to do things, I find if hard to believe that we would be seeing that large piece of land turned completely into an area for Baboons. Baboons don't make money for the park...

I'm sure we will see a small Baboon area (maybe an acre or so) and the rest will be pathway and future expansion...

This was on the announcement page:
While waiting to board Zumanjaro, guests will pass an all-new animal area, where they can watch native African Anubis baboon play and interact in their habitat.

Don't believe me? Here: http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/greatadventure/zumanjaro-drop-of-doom/

Play and interact in their habitat, poo fights?

"oh honey look at the baboons, wait what are they doing...oh god...it's everywhere...it's hit the fans!"

This was on the announcement page:
While waiting to board Zumanjaro, guests will pass an all-new animal area, where they can watch native African Anubis baboon play and interact in their habitat.

Don't believe me? Here: http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/greatadventure/zumanjaro-drop-of-doom/

Play and interact in their habitat, poo fights?

"oh honey look at the baboons, wait what are they doing...oh god...it's everywhere...it's hit the fans!"

"As long as it hit you and not ME, Helen!"

Yes, I agree that that plot of land is way to large for SF to dedicate solely to a Baboon exhibit. I'm sure its slated for future expansion and Ride installations in the future.

Let's not forget the large smoking section that will be going in there Great Adventure is well known for tearing down rides and replacing them with a new smoking section the following year.

^ I agree I was just getting at the fact that in years past they would remove a ride and instead of cleaning the area up and making it nice they just threw a few benches in there and made it a smoking area. Besides there is already two in that area.

Now Great Adventure History has posted that opening day was pushed back to April 12th again.

Don't complain about a mid April opening date! Remember that MM didn't get LLDOD open until July 7th!

We leave complaining to people on the West Coast.

OK, maybe not.

I'm late to the party but I didn't see this posted. About.com voted El Toro the #1 wood coaster in the U.S. Congrats to the Bull!

Here's Great Adventure's press release.

Six Flags Great Adventure's El Toro Named No.1 Wooden Roller Coaster in America

JACKSON, NJ—January 6, 2014— About.com’s travel and theme park expert Arthur Levine just named Six Flags Great Adventure’s El Toro the No. 1 wooden coaster in North America.

El Toro’s 4,400 feet of track and nine airtime hills deliver two intense minutes that can be compared to riding a raging bull. The thrill machine has wowed adrenaline junkies at the Jackson, NJ theme park since 2006, and still ranks as one of the tallest and fastest wooden coasters in the world. El Toro has taken top honors as “the world’s best wooden coaster” according to Amusement Today during its esteemed “Golden Ticket” awards in 2012, and an additional “world’s best wooden coaster” title on Mitch Hawker’s internet coaster poll in 2011.

“How wonderful is El Toro? It just may be the finest ride, period, among all wooden and steel thrill machines. The first time I rode it, I was flabbergasted by its relentless and powerful airtime. My guess is that you will be also,” Levine wrote on About.com.

In addition to El Toro’s accolades, two additional thrill rides at Six Flags Great Adventure continue to receive the highest steel roller coaster honors: the 23-story, 80-mph Nitro and the 45-story, 128-mph Kingda Ka.

Six Flags Great Adventure will reopen for the 2014 season April 12. In late spring, Six Flags Great Adventure will shatter the world record for tallest drop ride with the addition of the 41-story Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, currently under construction.

Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 456-foot monster that ranks as the world’s tallest coaster and fastest in North America—Zumanjaro will hoist riders 415 feet into the sky and rocket them back to Earth at 90 miles per hour while Kingda Ka trains launch right toward them at speeds of up to 128 miles per hour.

"Zumanjaro solidifies Six Flags Great Adventure’s dominance as the Northeast’s thrill capital,” said John Fitzgerald, park president. “This is precisely the world-class, record-breaking attraction our guests have come to expect from Great Adventure. Zumanjaro is destined to top many ‘must ride’ lists in 2014."

The park will also debut a new baboon exhibit in the theme park, and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will expand its first-class cabana rental service with the introduction of Cabana Cove and the addition of a tiki bar.

Six Flags season passes are now on sale for the 2014 season and provide unlimited visits and exclusive perks. For more information, visit http://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure or call 732/928-1821.

Asbury Park Press: Courtesy of Great Adventure History

Daily Record Article

Edited by coasterbill