TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

That looks like a fun coaster. Considering KD has the Woodstock express it seems like overkill to have two roller coasters in a kiddie area, even though I think its good training for the kiddies!

Woodstock Express, Ricochet, Avalanche, and Heist Movie Studio Warehouse Powered Stunt Amusement Attraction are all basically family coasters. Plus there's the Great Pumpkin kiddie coaster as well. how many family coasters does one park need? would there really be a benefit to adding a 5th (or 6th) coaster in the same niche? a nice sprawling out and back B&M floaty airtime hyper that takes a scenic trip through the woods (yes, much like Apollo's Chariot down the road) would fill KD's biggest missing chunk. i305 is nothing at all like a B&M hyper, and i don't think BGW's presence should automatically eliminate it as a possibility.

That looks like a fun coaster. Considering KD has the Woodstock express it seems like overkill to have two roller coasters in a kiddie area, even though I think its good training for the kiddies!

Carowinds has 3 coasters in Planet Snoopy. It wouldn't be overkill at KD to add a 2nd.

I think adding the newer model Vekoma Jr Suspended coaster would be a perfect fit to add to PS there at KD. The one at Fun Spot America in Orlando was quite comfortable.

I hope KD's next coaster is an vekoma inverted jr coaster!

layout_sfc_gronalund.jpg

Something the FAMILY can enjoy . . .

Rather have a B&M. Heck, Shockwave is the only thing worse than a Vekoma.

Ok . . . here you go!

Seriously, KD had like what? 3 true family coasters?

Iv'e always wondered why Parmount never did a major kid's area expansion or added a Jr. Vekoma at Kings Dominion, such as

Rugrats Runaway Raptor at Kings Island and Carowinds or Silver Streak at Canada's Wonderland.

Did Parmount ever plan this, however sold out to Cedar Fair before they ever made way to the project?

Nickelodeon Universe at Kings Island, Nickelodeon Central at Carowinds, and Kidzville at Canada's Wonderland were all

decent renovations, however Kidzville at Kings Dominion was never updated with new rides after its opening and

Nickelodeon Central remained with only 3 attractions.

(Scooby Doo and The Haunted Mansion being the only exception).

Carowinds has 3 coasters in Planet Snoopy. It wouldn't be overkill at KD to add a 2nd.

I think adding the newer model Vekoma Jr Suspended coaster would be a perfect fit to add to PS there at KD. The one at Fun Spot America in Orlando was quite comfortable.

Cedar fair (besides relocation's) hasn't worked with Vekoma for a while now.

Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't.... Vekoma has some solid low thrill coaster models, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up again in the future.

I believe Vekoma stated that they will no longer build new coasters in the U.S. anymore.

Where did you hear this? They work with Disney all the time--for example, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Florida.

Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't.... Vekoma has some solid low thrill coaster models, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up again in the future.

I believe Vekoma stated that they will no longer build new coasters in the U.S. anymore.

Do you have a press release or something? They have built over 100 coasters in America. I doubt they would stop building in there biggest market.

Do you have a press release or something? They have built over 100 coasters in America. I doubt they would stop building in there biggest market.

I've never seen anything from Vekoma stating they won't build in the U.S. anymore, but it's interesting that they didn't build anything in 2015 and don't have anything scheduled for 2016. Also, the Flight of the Hippogriff coaster at USJ is a Vekoma, but they went with Mack for the USH version. But I'm sure if a U.S. park really wanted a Vekoma, they are not going to turn down money (same goes for Intamin).

I don't see anything wrong with adding another kid friendly/family coaster to Planet Snoopy. That new Gerstlauer Rewind Racers in California would also be a unique and nice addition as well.

I would think anything B&M includes a higher than normal height restriction to classify as a family coaster and wonder what the height limit is for that family suspended coaster in China.

I don't see anything wrong with adding another kid friendly/family coaster to Planet Snoopy. That new Gerstlauer Rewind Racers in California would also be a unique and nice addition as well.

Oooo, good point. Something that size I could see getting thrown up at a ton of parks in the future.

^Just as you pointed out, Intamin hasn't built a U.S. coaster now since 2012. And you can bet they aren't done in the U.S. They'll be back!

Who knows? Maybe Kings Dominion will shock the world by announcing an Intamin.

I wouldn't mind something like Xcelerator to replace Hypersonic

I don't mind the Vekoma family suspendeds. Maybe a new family coaster is on the slate for KD within the next 5 years. Who knows?

I'd also like to hear more about Vekoma supposedly no longer making coasters in the US.

^Just as you pointed out, Intamin hasn't built a U.S. coaster now since 2012. And you can bet they aren't done in the U.S. They'll be back!

Who knows? Maybe Kings Dominion will shock the world by announcing an Intamin.

I wouldn't mind something like Xcelerator to replace Hypersonic

I don't mind the Vekoma family suspendeds. Maybe a new family coaster is on the slate for KD within the next 5 years. Who knows?

I'd also like to hear more about Vekoma supposedly no longer making coasters in the US.

Guys, no. Vekoma is not known for producing quality rides. The family coaster I would want is a launcher like Verbolten or Firechaser Express.

Guys, no. Vekoma is not known for producing quality rides. The family coaster I would want is a launcher like Verbolten or Firechaser Express.

Sounds like they already have that ride. It's called Backlot Stunt Coaster.

I mean taller and possibly with an inversion. Cheetah Hunt is classified as a family coaster. Please, anything but a Vekoma Junior Invert. The one at Carowinds is painful as all hell.

Seams like parks all across the country would be beating down Gertslauer's door to get something for their parks that looks as fun/thrilling yet for the entire family as Fire Chaser is, hopefully well be see more of these pop in in the US soon.

Maybe Intamin just isn't offering the product US parks are looking for at the moment and this is why we haven't seen them here since 2012. I know for sure they are not dead like I've heard some enthusiast exclaim b/c of this absence just look at all the Intamin goodies popping up over seas.I mean for a dead company since 2012 -2016 they will have opened or currently under construction 17 coasters with B&M so far only one behind at 16. Plus they have the Skyplex deals Intamin is far from dead lol.

Anyways sorry for the rambling but I'd love to see bigger more badass Maverick (Intamin Blitz) at KD

Seams like parks all across the country would be beating down Gertslauer's door to get something for their parks that looks as fun/thrilling yet for the entire family as Fire Chaser is, hopefully well be see more of these pop in in the US soon.

Maybe Intamin just isn't offering the product US parks are looking for at the moment and this is why we haven't seen them here since 2012. I know for sure they are not dead like I've heard some enthusiast exclaim b/c of this absence just look at all the Intamin goodies popping up over seas.I mean for a dead company since 2012 -2016 they will have opened or currently under construction 17 coasters with B&M so far only one behind at 16. Plus they have the Skyplex deals Intamin is far from dead lol.

Anyways sorry for the rambling but I'd love to see bigger more badass Maverick (Intamin Blitz) at KD

Appearantly Pat Jones said that they are looking at Intamin. Possible comeback? I mean the park has worked with them more times than any other park besides Cedar Point.

That's exactly what I305 is, a giant Intamin Blitz. They killed two birds with one stone by combining both the Giga & LSM coasters together. I305 is MF's first hill with a similar layout to Maverick following. I wouldn't expect anything the lines of a Giga or LSM to be added to KD's portfolio anytime soon. Or really anything Intamin at all. B&M is the way to go anymore for CF.

Edited by JonnyRCT3