TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's MASSIVE Europe Photo Update!

So, games like Wolfenstein (if I heard this correctly) were never released/are illegal in Germany.

They are most certainly released! Germany is one of our biggest markets! We have to remove certain nazi symbols and red blood from the game to meet restrictions set by their ratings board (like our ESRB), but for the most part, everything is in tact.

--Robb "For some reason the Germans love WWII games!" Alvey :?

I guess I meant our games...like the one on my computer can't be played or bought in Germany -- they have to be different... 'a german version'

Also, I like the translation in the web site of Europa park. Event Gastronomy anyone?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.themeparkreview.com/europe2005/europe2005.htm

Mirabilandia Photos added! Highlights of this update include:

- Lots of Katun Photos! Great lesser known B&M Inverted Coaster!

- Fun "Italian Style" with friends from http://www.theparks.it/

- The "Smiley Faced" pizza.

- Oblivious Joey

- The best Blues Brothers show...EVER!

- A link to a video interview with Robb & Elissa...and it doesn't suck!!!

Enjoy today's installment!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/europe2005/europe2005.htm

Gardaland Photos added! Highlights of this update include:

- S&S's Screamin Squirrel Photos!

- A coaster called "Magic Mountain" which certainly was themed to "Magic Mountain!"

- The rain is gone, but where are the open rides?

- The most interesting gift shop items of the trip!

I really wish there was more to say, but overall we had a pretty miserable visit to this park. They didn't seem to know what to do in a thunder storm, and the customer service at the park was just appalling. Probably our worst park day of the trip. It's too bad because this place seemed to have potential, but fell short in every aspect!

Enjoy today's installment!

Just looking at the latest Gardaland update. On the first page I think the 7th photo down is of the chicks on the SS just before the lift.

Just wanted to say I recon that has got to be about the most bizare track system I've ever seen! Why does it go onto that kind of flat rail type of track to transfer round onto the lift?

I'd have to assume it has something to do with the other system not being able to travel around corners in the lateral plane?

Its a shame you didnt enjoy your day at Gardaland because I thought it was a fantastic park. The coasters were very average, but the theming and atmosphere made it a very relaxing and beatiful place. Fuga da Atlantide has some of the most amazing theming Ive ever seen.

Btw, did you do the dark ride underneath the pirate ship? I thought that was the best ride in the park.

Yngve "The kiddie coaster with 6 lifthills is the best coaster in the park" Oestbye

Gardaland was a the worst park of the trip. It seemed like it should have been a good park, but there really wasn't anything redeeming about the whole experience. Their customer service made SFMM look like Knoebels. Crap rides, crap service, the total inability to operate a park in a rain storm (Knotts only wishes they were this ineffecient!), and overall just not a good place. I don't care how nicely themed a park is, if there's nothing there worth riding and/or the people working there are downright antagonistic towards the most basic service requests (like, say, asking for more water when eating), it is not a good place to visit...

dt

Europa and Mirabalandia look really fun! I'm glad you guys had such a great time. Euro-Mir looks really cool. I think I would like it because it does not really spin. (I'm with you Elissa!)

Katun looks like a great coaster, as does Silver Star! Katunbs first drop, helix, and sero-g look sooooo cool! Sierra Tonote looked really great, but by the looks on your face, it was not!

I'm sorry you guys did not have a good time at Gardaland. The S&S looked really cool, but I guess that track layout is kind of useless.

Thank you for taking the time to do these daily updates,

Antonio G.

I could see how the park could have been better had we actually gotten to ride more stuff. I mean, as far as dark rides or themed rides go, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a "dark ride fan" and if I don't get on all the dark rides in a park, I don't care. Even if I'm told it's the "BEST DARK RIDE ON THE PLANET" I don't care. Keep in mind, I'm the one that thinks Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure is overrated and I don't 'get it'. I will ride dark rides if the time permits, but I will not go out of the way or stand in a line for a dark ride because they just aren't really my thing. It's not that I hate them, the just aren't my thing, other than MiB! Although Dave on the other hand might feel differently!

That being said, the only two coasters we didn't do were the SLC and the kiddie coaster. I would have liked to do the drop ride, but it's just a drop ride with some theming and if I want a drop ride with theming I'll ride Tower of Terror.

What annoyed me the most is that the park offered a two-day ticket for only about 9 euros more than the one day. When we arrived at the park, there were beautiful clear skies so we didn't expect the storm so we didn't expect to need the two-day pass. And we also didn't expect them the lower the capacity by closing rides (and not reopening them after the ride had cleared) and for the rides that they did re-open, they took trains off the train when the crowd was just as busy after the storm as it was before!

Had the park operations not been a massive suck-fest and had their customer service not been so dick-ish about upgrading our ticket or at least giving us a discount to come back the next day, that would have been fine, we would have come back, did the two coasters, and probably done the other couple of dark rides we missed. Keep in mind we were staying two nights at their on-property hotel, and between that, park admission, dinner, etc, our group had already spent over $1000 and they were just so un-willing to help us come back the next day.

The attitude just screamed "We already have your money, so please f**k off!"

With that, we opted to spend more time at Movie Studios Park, which we all thought totally rocked, and ironically, they didn't even have a coaster there! But they knew how to treat guests. We also took the opportunity to head out of Italy earlier because we had the hundred mile long tunnel of death the deal with that night. (which of course turned out to be the 10 second long tunnel of fluffy bunnies!)

So anyway, that's our Gardaland story. Overall, slightly above average looking park, craptactular ride selection, and some of the worst operations and customer service I've ever encountered.

--Robb

Gardaland was worse than SFMM? No way!

I suppose if we have a Europe TRP trip, we'll be passing by Gardaland then?

Hey, Elissa is wearing those hot pink pants again! Did she wear them all during the trip? If so, I have two letters for her: P.U.! Of course, she could have had a suitcase full of nothing but hot pink pants and black t-shirts.

With that, we opted to spend more time at Movie Studios Park, which we all thought totally rocked, and ironically, they didn't even have a coaster there! But they knew how to treat guests.

With the exception of the "X-area", the park itself was pretty good, although it was small. But we were not impressed by the way they ran the park. The only attractions that opened when the park opened were the Terminator show and the Horrow walkthrough. The rest of the attractions opened 30-90 minutes after the park opened.

About Gardaland, we didnt have much to do with the staff at Gardaland so that might have made our day better. We were treated very well by the girls at guest relations who took care of our bags while we enjoyed the park. I heard that some people in our group had some problems with the staff in the park so it seems like things arent the way it should be.