TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

^^That might not be an error in the imagery; those sections of track might have needed replacement, though it's not really all that old and not too much stress is encountered there unless the wind really took its toll.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, can take off another go-carts attraction in the Cedar Fair chain. Heard that all references to Thunder Creek Speedway has been removed from Dorney's website and saw that someone who stopped by the park saw that the signs for it are taken down. That so far is 3 go-carts being removed this year: Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure and now Dorney Park.

Starting to wonder if this is an on-coming trend in the Cedar Fair chain. With gas prices rising and the high maintenance requirements for these, I can see more and more of them being removed from amusement parks in the future.

^^ To your point: with the price of maintenance and fuel (not to mention the exhaust fumes from an eco-friendly standpoint), it is probably not the most profitable and wise attraction at a full blown theme park these days. Unless they go hybrid or electric, I could see these attractions starting to disappear from theme parks (and perhaps even amusement parks) in the coming years.

I remember when we were at Wisconsin Dells riding the go-karts at midnight and about getting asphyxiated from the fumes while waiting for crews to check restraints before they let everyone go. Sure it was fun at the time, but I kept wondering if this was the most profitable and environmentally friendly attraction to have at an amusement park...and they have what four or five huge go-kart tracks that take up TONS of space at that park?

I'm surprised they weren't closed sooner. I live twenty minutes from Dorney, been going there my whole life and I've NEVER been on the go karts. They're tucked pretty far back in the park, down a rather quiet path. I honestly forget that they're there, honestly.

Of course, gas prices and environmental concerns could be a major concern too.

^ Its the price of gas, this was a up charge attraction so the park wants to see profit from it, if the attractions cost (gas and replacement parts) out weighs the money it brings in then its best to take it out and put something that will draw money in its place. In fact I think this has nothing to do with the environment, we got to remember Cedar Fair is a company out to make a profit and not a organization trying to do something to protect the environment.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Dorney yesterday and had a great day. The coasters are really nothing special except for Talon but they do have a lot of good flat rides that more than make up for it. Just a few notes...

1) Every single ride was open yesterday including all 3 water rides. Everything was also running multiple trains except for Thunderhawk which really never does. As usual there were no lines and every coaster was a walk-on all day except for the Wild Mouse which had about a 10 minute wait.

2) I always thought Steel Force was one of the worst hypercoasters anywhere because it's an unbelievably boring coaster and while I'd still put it behind every other hyper I've ridden it's a different coaster in the front seat. It feels very fast, hangs over the first drop and even has a few moments of mild floater air. Once we started riding in the front, I enjoyed all of my rides on it.

3) Talon was running great, I forgot how much I enjoyed this coaster. Now that Laser is gone, this is easily the best ride in the park.

4) Stinger was open, but 8 seats were occupied by water dummies and they were always leaving 2 random rows empty. I have no idea why they would weigh down the train with water dummies but then purposely leave seats empty (not specific rows, just random rows that were empty because they were holding people at the turnstile). The ride was pretty rough, and I can't help but wonder what Dorney was thinking when they replaced Laser with this mess of a ride.

5) Chickie's and Pete's... where have you been all my life. I never go to table service restaurants in theme parks but nothing at Dorney had a line so we weren't racing around to ride everything and we were having kind of a relaxed day so we decided to check this place out. Don't miss this place when you go to Dorney. The fries were delicious as were the cheese steaks, and prices were right on par with any other full service sports bar outside of an amusement park.

www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/dorney-park-to-host-preparedness-drill-for-emergency-responders/-/132502/20005318/-/urdtol/-/index.html

Dorney Park to host preparedness drill for emergency responders

Author: 69 News

Published: May 03 2013 03:05:18 PM EDT Updated On: May 03 2013 03:06:53 PM EDT

Dorney Park

SOUTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. -

Dorney Park and South Whitehall Twp., Lehigh Co., are teaming up to conduct a preparedness drill involving hundreds of local emergency responders and volunteers.

The exercise, scheduled for Mon., May 13 and sponsored by the Northeast Pennsylvania Regional Counter Terrorism Task Force, will simulate a hazardous condition with multiple causalities during the peak of the park’s summer season, officials said.

"On a busy day, attendance at Dorney Park can result in the doubling of our population in South Whitehall," said Jon Hammer, township manager. "We are committed to the well-being and public safety of our long term residents as well as our one-day visitors. This exercise is part of our ongoing proactive approach to ensure that our first responders are prepared and equipped to handle any emergency."

Quick Clicks

The focus if the drill, officials said, will be on the coordination of key emergency responders, critical decisions, and integration of the multi-jurisdictional assets necessary to save lives and protect the public.

"A crisis never occurs when it is convenient, so it is wise that agencies prepare for the inevitable in a proactive manner," said Steven Harper, president, Strategic Crisis Solutions, an emergency preparedness management firm that will conduct and evaluate the exercise. "To that end, we have assembled a diverse team to challenge and stretch the responders in a 'no fault,' win - win environment."

Emergency responders will mitigate the fictional crisis, perform crime scene investigations, and provide medical treatment for volunteers playing the role of victims, said officials, adding that as many as 400 people are expected to take part.

5) Chickie's and Pete's... where have you been all my life. I never go to table service restaurants in theme parks but nothing at Dorney had a line so we weren't racing around to ride everything and we were having kind of a relaxed day so we decided to check this place out. Don't miss this place when you go to Dorney. The fries were delicious as were the cheese steaks, and prices were right on par with any other full service sports bar outside of an amusement park.

I had their crab fries last year in the water park and they were VERY tasty...I will have to check out the full sports bar the next time I am there as the menu looks tons better than the old Game Time Grill. Perhaps they would consider replacing the Game Time Grill at Cedar Point with Chickie and Pete's?

While I like being able to go into Game Time Grill and grab a cold beer at CP, the food selection and quality isn't all that good.

Ah, yes, good ol' Chickie's and Pete's. If you're anyway with a location nearby, definitely go. I never realized how lucky I was to have them around where I live.

Anyway, with the addition of Stinger, do you think they'll be anything new besides maintenance stuff this year? I haven't seen or heard anything except a new advertisement on TV. I've been debating whether or not to renew my season pass.

Anyway, with the addition of Stinger, do you think they'll be anything new besides maintenance stuff this year? I haven't seen or heard anything except a new advertisement on TV. I've been debating whether or not to renew my season pass.

As far as I can tell, they aren't adding anything. I'd imagine they'll probably put in a Flat (i'd put my money on a Windseeker on the pad behind stinger) for next season, but I doubt we'll see a coaster in the next two seasons. Looking at rcdb, it shows that the past few coasters they've added have all been at ~3 year intervals. I'd imagine they'll probably add a new coaster in 2015/2016.

I feel Dorney needs a good wooden coaster after that god awful Hercules was destroyed.

I miss that coaster! It was one of my favorites!

What kind of masochist are you? O.o Hercules was by -far- the most painful ride I've ever been on...

I feel Dorney needs a good wooden coaster after that god awful Hercules was destroyed.

I miss that coaster! It was one of my favorites!

What kind of masochist are you? O.o Hercules was by -far- the most painful ride I've ever been on...

Key word you use is "I've" which means that is YOUR opinion. I love rough wooden coasters. And yes, I will agree with the person above me. Ride a none wheel seat and it was not that bad.

It is like saying the roughest wooden coaster's "I've" ridden are Predator and Wild Beast and there are people out there that do not think they are rough and love them.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys was wondering how are the crowds here? Heard doesn't get too busy is that true?

I go here every year (Dorney is basically my home park) and all the times I went (summer, fall, dosen't matter) lines have been non-existent. Even on Talon, Hydra and Steel Force. You'll be fine.