TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

It is funny now that this is now hitting the news. The only thing that was affected on our journey was shortened calls in ports. But it didn't affect our trip at all. Was still a blast!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2013/11/05/royal-caribbean-allure-propulsion-problem/3443421/

Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, the world's largest cruise ship, is experiencing a problem with a propulsion unit that is forcing it to operate at slower-than-normal speeds.

The mechanical issue with one of the 225,282-ton vessel's three propulsion "pods" has resulted in shortened calls in ports during its past two Eastern Caribbean sailings.

In an email to USA TODAY, Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez suggested the problem is relatively minor, saying the pod in question remains functional but not at 100%.

"Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed," Martinez says. "All equipment is fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew."

Martinez says Allure of the Seas has shortened its stays in Nassau, Bahamas and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas on Eastern Caribbean sailings due to the issue, but there have been no changes to the ship's Western Caribbean itinerary.

There's no word yet on how or how soon the problem will be resolved.

"We are currently exploring various options that would fix the problem," Martinez says. "The plan is to get Allure back up to top speed. At this time, we have not made sweeping changes to upcoming itineraries."

Allure of the Seas is just the latest in a string of cruise ships that have experienced problems with pod propulsion units since they first began appearing on cruise vessels in the 1990s. Just three months ago, Celebrity Cruises' 2,138-passenger Celebrity Millennium experienced a pod malfunction that resulted in the cancellation of several voyages.

Pod propulsion systems are more efficient than conventional propulsion systems but can be more difficult to repair at sea. In the case of the Celebrity Millennium, the ship eventually was taken out of service for several weeks in late August and September to undergo repairs in a dry dock.

Unveiled in 2010, Allure of the Seas can carry more than 6,000 passengers and has a crew of more than 2,000 people. The ship is one of two Oasis Class vessels at the line that jointly hold the record for world's largest cruise ship.

Some Costa Concordia news:

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/48/Costa_Crociere_secures_the_availability_of_the_Dockwise_Vanguard_as_an_option_for_the_Concordia_wreck_transportation_

Costa Crociere and Dockwise, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V. (Boskalis) have signed the contract that secures the availability of the Dockwise Vanguard - the world’s largest semi-submersible ship – as part of the options considered for the removal of the Concordia wreck from Isola del Giglio.

That is interesting. They must think there is a possibility the Costa is not sea worthy enough to make the trip to be scrapped.

Hi coaster/cruise fans just back from maiden Caribbean cruise on Royal Princess (Klassy with a C Carnival brand lol)

Photos here if anyone want a look https://www.facebook.com/stuart.kite/media_set?set=a.10152030305502780.1073741826.522732779&type=1 Just scroll past Orlando!

We were basically doing Orlando trip but added 5 day cruise to check out ship this then left us 6 days in Orlando for 9 parks + howl o scream and HHN. Great ship and food but less whistles and bells that Oasis. Any questions just ask.

Stu K

Kids club only seen them once doing a bar crawl on halloween the kids went bar to bar shop to shop trick or treating! 2 kids club people looked bored at princess cays with no kids in kids area.Did see a small climbing frame at kids club and hot tub in the teens area at the back of the ship down from jogging track.

the sea walk is cool but sea view bar is actually better just sat on bar stool looking out over the sea. Spent a lot of time and $'s there . Lots busier than sea walk.

Any other questions just ask Regal Princess out next year sister ship! We do small ships next year NCL Spirit And RCI Legend.

Stu K

• 2 weeks later...

Allure of the Seas is to undergo a week of repairs due to problems with one of the three engines onboard:

Royal Caribbean announces Allure of the Seas will undergo repairs in February 2014

MIAMI - Royal Caribbean International announced that a mechanical issue has made it necessary to perform unscheduled repairs to Allure of the Seas. The repairs will take place at Grand Bahama Shipyard, in Freeport, Bahamas, the week of February 24, 2014. As a result, it will be necessary to cancel the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas.

"We sincerely regret that we will be unable to deliver the Royal Caribbean cruise vacation that our guests were looking forward to," said Adam Goldstein, president and chief executive officer, Royal Caribbean International. "We understand that our guests' vacation time is very precious and can assure you that we did not take this decision lightly. But it was very important to us that we bring Allure back up to speed so that she could continue to deliver the amazing cruise vacations our guests expect."

Allure of the Seas has been experiencing unanticipated bearing wear in one of its three propulsion motors. All three motors are fully operational, and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of guests and crew. However, since the rate of bearing wear is directly related to ship speed, the ship's top speed has been limited. This has reduced the rate of bearing wear, and will ensure that all three propulsion motors are fully available for maneuvering and emergencies until repairs can be completed.

"While Allure could have continued to sail at a reduced rate of speed, we felt it was important to fix the problem as soon as possible," said William D. Baumgartner, senior vice president of Marine Operations, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "We explored numerous repair options. Unfortunately, there was no satisfactory solution that did not involve taking the ship temporarily out of service."

The company said guests currently booked on the February 23, 2014, sailing of Allure of the Seas will receive a full, 100 percent refund, or the option to sail on select itineraries at the same rate.

Additionally, until the repairs can be made, it will be necessary to make minor adjustments to Allure of the Seas' eastern Caribbean itineraries. Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no need to modify Allure of the Seas' western Caribbean itineraries.

- See more at: http://www.traveldailynews.com/news/article/57710/royal-caribbean-announces-allure-of#sthash.7wLZZQXV.dpuf

I would of hated to have my cruise canceled, but I am sure RCI will take care of those that are going to miss their cruise. And they are giving them three months notice to make other arrangements. Better that, than finding out less than a month in advance.

^Or skipping Nssau and St. Thomas entirely for more ship time!

Sucks if your cruise gets canceled, but I'm sure RCCL took good care of these people and gave them plenty of advanced warning. And at least they're willing to make repairs to their ships, rather than run them until they totally die mid-ocean like a certain Klassy company does...

dt

I'm watching the live stream of the RCCL event right now. I know it was pretty much confirmed before but it looks like we're getting Anthem out of the UK. Slightly odd presentation so far, they've got the philharmonic playing various "Anthems" to video of British cities and RCCL destinations. Hopefully we get some info outside of the realm of stuff already out there about the Quantum class!!

^They took really good care of them!

I still didn't see the need to do the repair at all. Missing an hour in Nassau and St. Thomas is no big deal!

They did the smart thing to ensure they don't end up with a Carnival like situation on their hands.

YEP, just seen the annoucement, Anthem comes to the UK for the summer months(Usually May to end of October) and Florida rest of the months, this is awesome news to hear about a new ship to my home town, and WOW its looks awesome although I hear it does bring a little bit of sad news in that Independance retires from the UK after 2014(sooooooo glad I have done this ship a month ago, would have been gutted to miss it) but as soon as bookings are available for Anthem, I might just book one for the hell of it

• 2 weeks later...
^They took really good care of them!

I still didn't see the need to do the repair at all. Missing an hour in Nassau and St. Thomas is no big deal!

Totally agree! I can't believe I didn't see this before. I must admit, I like the fact they gave people a couple of months notice.

Maybe this particular sailing didn't have a lot of bookings and that is why they decided to do the repairs on that particular voyage?