TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review Premium Membership Questionnaire

Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.  

636 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the information below, would you sign up for TPR's Premium Membership? Please also respond to this thread and give us your reasoning as to your vote.

• Yes
    • No

1. What are your initial thoughts?

If you offered it for $25 and left off the $15 store credit I would be much more likely to sign up.

2. Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

Since this is mostly a donation/sponsorship of the site, it would be nice to have a little rotating banner on each forum page that says something like "This page brought to you by [random_premium_member_username]" on a random rotating basis (of course, this could be a variety of more witty phrases as well). I've seen a number of other forums do this for premium members.

3. Is this something that interests you?

The concept interests me, but not at that price.

4. Why would you NOT be interested in this?

I only spend at most $10 a year in the store, I'm not planning on going on TPR trips, an exclusive pay-only forum doesn't interest me, I already have a coaster count banner, and there are several other clubs that have access to most park events that only charge $10 for membership (including one that gives you $5 off TPR DVDs and $5 off TPR shirts when you sign up). That means that the only benefit I would get from the extra $30 I'd pay for a TPR membership is getting a membership card and welcome packet, and the warm fuzzies I'd get from supporting the site.

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

Frankly, I think a much better option would be to add small, unobtrusive ads to the forums pages (gasp!) to subsidize part of the cost of the site, and cover the rest with a less expensive $10-$20 a year membership that would hide ads on the site for members.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted No for several reasons:

1) As someone who only attends the West Coast Bash events, a "bonus" event probably would not apply to me.

2) I register as fast as possible, and have never been shut out.

3) The $15 credit sounds appealing, but I spend about $20 a year on merchandise anyway. A premium price of $25 with no credit is more appealing.

4) Most importantly - I'd donate if TPR were threatened with extinction. Um...that is to say...I'd donate to SAVE TPR from extinction.

Now, if the (now free) video content were moved to premium access only - THAT would make me consider signing up. But be aware, I've signed up in the past to Disney-type sites for premium content. I paid for a year, never really used it, and haven't been back...

I log into TPR mainly for the great trip reports, and the occasional video.

As much as I appreciate the ad-free status of TPR, I would prefer a few ads over a pay-for-play site.

And I really don't dig the "members only" forum. I think that would take away from the overall quality of the site. If you had to do away with one perk, I'd vote for that one.

-Love the idea

-Not Offhand

-Very yes.

-Per 3, doesn't apply

5. Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

-Good perks, Doesn't affect non-premium members, Good deal

I realize that I don't post much, and most of the time I just lurk (partly because I don't really get involved here at all), but I've been reading here for about 4 years now and I figure I'll throw my input out there. (Yes Mr. Alvey your automated email dragged me in!)

This sounds like a fantastic way of giving great perks to those that are interested, and a great way to keep this fabulous site ad free.

I'm going to second someone else who said this earlier: A monthly newsletter would be a great addition. It would also put you guys above ACE (in my opinion), if you are interested in doing this I would be more than willing to help out. I love this site, any possible way I can make it better is something I'm extremely interested in doing.

Yes.

Can't say there's anything that turns me away. Cheaper than ACE with better benefits. Why not?

See above.

At first, my stomach dropped when I read this. But after reading that everything which is already in place will remain the same, I think it's a great idea.

Like others have said, some type of news letter or magazine. Honestly, the only reason that I pay for an ACE membership is to get the news letters and magazines.

This definitely interests me.

It's not that I would "NOT" be interested, it's that I'd be torn on whether I should keep paying for my ACE membership just to receive the publications, or if I'd be willing to sacrifice the publications for a TPR membership (even though I like TPR WAY better than ACE!), cause I wouldn't want to be paying for both at the same time.

While I know that the $40 fee including the $15 TPR store credit benefits TPR, I think that leaving off the $15 TPR store credit and just charging $25 for the membership alone may sound more appealing to some people.

Maybe you could do two membership types.

-Type 1 could be $30 with no TPR store perks.

-Type 2 could be $40 with the $15 store credit.

I know the second is exactly the same as you mentioned, but throwing in the first option sounds better for people that don't buy TPR merch, as well as sounding better for people who buy merch, as it sounds like they would be getting a $5 bonus for signing up for the Type 2 membership.

I'd also just like to say that if you ever decide to do any type of publications, whether it be newsletters or magazine style stuff, that I'd be more than willing to help out with whatever I can.

-Brian

Hey Rob i think its a great idea but i have voted no.

My reason for this is not the cost for me but the cost for TPR. As i live in the U.K. the cost for postage will out way the the cost of my membership if you send goodies a couple of times a year. Out of $50 you will have $15 for me to use in the shop which leaves $35. Not much left after DHL and UPS get thier hands on it.

Keep plugging away at me and you never know i might change my mind .

--What are your initial thoughts?

I can't wait until this is implemented!

--Can you think of anything else we could be offering?

Maybe you could somehow implement the 'meet-up' thread and/or calendar that's been suggested in the past. I'm not saying you'd have to be a Premium member in order to meet up, mind you. But maybe it could be 'tested' in the exclusive forum to work out any initial concerns or problems.

--Is this something that interests you?

Yes, I would definitely join!

--Why would you NOT be interested in this?

We all need to be careful to stay friendly and welcoming to those who don't become Premium members. I definitely trust TPR members to do this, but I needed to point it out anyway, because I've been burned in the past by exclusivity. So, it's nothing personal that I'm bringing it up.

--Any additional feedback you can give us based on the information you see here.

I just want to put in a vote for a Northwest event, as unlikely as that may be!

I didn't see anyone else bring it up, but have you considered a "Couple" or "Family" Premium Membership?

Doing two TPR Premium Memberships would definitely get a little spendy. If only one of us did the Premium Membership, how would that work for Priority Placement on a trip (the spouse with the Premium Membership gets in, but the spouse without doesn't)?

Our current ACE membership breaks down to $70 per year (3 year membership). So doing two TPR Premium Memberships would actually cost more than ACE.

I'm not trying to knock the idea of Premium Membership, just looking at it from a different direction than lots of folks, I think.

1. I will definitely pay for a membership. I like that you get a credit for the store. That helps "lower" the price of membership.

2. More of those TPR Pens! They are the greatest. Honestly though, I think everything offered with the membership is great!

3. Definitely.

4. N/A

5. I also wouldn't be against a few small ads on the site.

The idea is great. I'm really interested.

Not sure about the possibily of these, but they are just some things that crossed my mind:

- Larger avatar, signature and ability to change title.

That's all I can think of, I'm not sure how TPR could offer *anything* more than you already mentioned.

Definately, the membership looks awesome. Especially the 'priority seating' and getting into other perks.

Two things are kinda holding me back,

First, I have never bought anything other than shirts from the store, and I really don't think I'd spend $15 a year in the store. I'd rather pay $25 without credit, or something like $30 with a $5 credit.

Second, I am worried about how much 'activity' there will be around me compared to the price.

The idea is super and you should definately work it out. I'm not sure if I would join, I think I need to know some more details before I can really make a decision. But if this works out the way TPR usually works things out, I'm really looking forward to it.

It does sound great but as Monicajar said a family price would be a better for me as 5 memberships at $50 would be a little expensive I do like the suggestion of newsletters,For me it would be more about getting access to coaster events rather than tpr trips as they are way out of our family budget unfortunately

1. Awesome idea.

2. I can't really think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

3. Heck yes. My $40 is ready to enter your pockets.

4. If it ends up not being worth the cost. I really can't see it ever NOT being worth it though. Discounts on trips and merch, $15 credit to the store, priority on trips, and free crap? It's worth it all ready.

Well I see this as a great thing for a lot of people on TPR because I'm sure so many would be interested in signing up, but I'm not one of those people. Respectively, of course.

1. Like I said, sounds like a great idea and I'm sure it's going to be successful.

2. Not knowing what the other "goodies" would be, I can't say there is anything else.

3. No, not me personally.

4. I have many reasons to not be a part of this. I guess the main thing is that I'm already a part of ACE. It's not that I don't want to be a part of both TPR and ACE, but I hardly have any time to do ACE events much less TPR ones. Also I've never been on an official TPR trip or anything and since I don't know anyone personally there isn't much of an incentive for me to join up. I also kind of lost interest in going to amusement parks. I like reading about them and looking at the pictures, but it's not a big deal for me to visit them anymore.

5. I had one idea a long time ago that maybe TPR should get its own magazine. I know it's been discussed before and it's been rejected because it would be too expensive and it makes more sense to keep everything tied to the website. However, with this new paid membership you could afford to make a magazine I think. I think it would be cool.

Once again, I think it's a great idea, but it's just not for me.

Love this idea!!!!! I'm ready to send my money now!

I belong to 2 private boards, and it definitely increases the quality of the posts.

I think the price is extremely fair - c'mon people, it's only $3.33/month!

I actually don't like the idea of a printed newsletter. I don't really see the point of printing and mailing information that can be more quickly and cheaply obtained on the site.

1. If the stuff on the site will be the same I am totally in. Not to say I would not become a premium member, just not necessarily right away. Also, I am for the trip idea pretaining there will still be regular TPR trips and events. One of the main reasons I like TPR is not having a site fee and events fee. I would not mind paying for exclusive events, but am not for this if events such as WCB and stuff like that become exclusive. However, I would/will join at some point for sure.

2. The site is really good as it is. I agree with some others of maybe a chat room or thread, but this sounds good for fourty dollrs.

3. I am interested!

4. This may be somewhat unapealing for some new members, but if the site is the same it should be ok. I cant think of any real good reason why not to join though, and fourty dollars is a god price.

While I know that the $40 fee including the $15 TPR store credit benefits TPR, I think that leaving off the $15 TPR store credit and just charging $25 for the membership alone may sound more appealing to some people.

Maybe you could do two membership types.

-Type 1 could be $30 with no TPR store perks.

-Type 2 could be $40 with the $15 store credit.

I know the second is exactly the same as you mentioned, but throwing in the first option sounds better for people that don't buy TPR merch, as well as sounding better for people who buy merch, as it sounds like they would be getting a $5 bonus for signing up for the Type 2 membership.

^I think this idea would help the premium membership be more successful. I personally would pay for the extra $5 credit but many might not, however silly that might be. I think it's a great idea but I would stick to media interaction over newsprint. Receiving TPR stuff in the mail is awesome so a bi-annual package might be cool but you both come across fantastic on the Live chat things so a podcast might be better than printed news.

You are fun, let ace do the slightly outdated newsletters. TPR has just as much content but with more fun. Do what you do best!

I'm a little left out here in Australia (we don't have a lot of parks and the majority are in Queensland!), so TPR is always a great way for me to get a taste of what I'm missing out on!

I make it over to the States every few years and always hit some of the parks just to get my fix... (Last time it was Cedar Point, Disneyland, California Adventure, Magic Mountain and Universal).

But I'd join just to support the great work that Robb, Elissa (& Kristen) do.

paulie_oz

1. Sounds like a good idea!

2. Can't think of anything right now - already sounds like a good package.

3. Yes!

4. Only previous concerns mentioned about high numbers of premium members reducing the value of having the priority trip placement.

5. If it helps you guys keep the site running in addition to us getting extra stuff, that's a win-win situation!

I'm all for it.

With the only other forum that I am a part of and spend money on, adding a premium account allows you to have a customized, almost myspace style 'profile page.' I would like to see that option added here in the future with premium memberships.

Premium placement is very nice, and if you know anything about my opinions, then you would know that I LOVE the idea of a filter for TPR trips, especially the local ones *cough* wcb *cough*.

Well, completely contradictory to what I said in question 3, adding a premium option always opens up that door to make people feel more privileged than others, particularly in person at park events. I would not want this $40 to make people feel above other people or otherwise entitled to things they shouldn't be complaining about. I guess it opens the door to people poorly representing themselves as TPR Premium Members.

On another hand, reading in your statement that there was a 'I have been on a TPR trip before' exclusive trip was kind of off-putting. Like, I am part of a community that has an 'insiders' club where this whole time I thought I was equal. I see premium membership adding to this split even more, especially to those who cannot afford the membership or I guess minors who's parents think the price is a bit steep.

All that being said, I think $40 is a very fair price especially considering the $15 store credit.

Other than a fantastic evolution idea that I would LOVE to see for TPR that has been running through my mind, which has nothing to do with premium membership, no I do not!

I am not very happy to hear about this concept.

Personally, I would not benefit from this, and if anything, it would hurt my TPR experience to have this created.

Not really.

No.

I live in a country where no TPR trips are held(or can be expected to be held in the near future), and where there isn't any park magor enough for TPR to bother setting up a discount with.

I don't get to visit coaster events, because they're abroad as well.

I only travel abroad about once every two years, and the money I would be spending on premium membership will be a larger sum than the amount I'll save on park tickets/park trips.

And seeing as I don't have alot of reasons to buy it, I would just end up getting shoved out to the "Regular member" waiting room for the trips, which will decrease my chances.

Plus, a special premium member forum feels very unnecessary, and like it would cause seperation for no reason.

If anything I think international membership should be cheaper, because international visitors have less use for event and park discounts.(Discluding places like the UK, obviously)

It's a very nice idea, but I wouldn't sign up for it. The main reason is that most of the parks which you visit, aren't even near where I live (The Netherlands). In general, I don't visit that many parks anyway, even though I still enjoy reading about them.

So basically: good idea, just not my cup of tea.

Overall, I really like this idea. The only drawback for me is that I'm really not sure if I'd be able to take advantage of the perks as often as I'd hope to. Aside from this, a $15 credit, a membership card and a bag-o-crap is totally worth it. Maybe an exclusive t-shirt too?

Edit: After reading the post 2 spots up it brought to mind someone who was on the trip I did who constantly made references to the GP (how they have to stand around and watch us riding during morning ERT, things along those lines) in a way that made me somewhat uncomfortable. I'd hate to see something similar happen within a TPR group.