TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

I also took a of Saw video while I was there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8rxYIrnsM&feature=channel_page

Looking good so far.

I'm going down to Thorpe on Tuesday this week, so I'm gonna try and get some photos. However, someone told me that Colossus hasn't been operarting during the Thrill Chill and the Colossus queue is where people have been getting the photos from..

I also took a of Saw video while I was there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8rxYIrnsM&feature=channel_page

Looking good so far.

I'm going down to Thorpe on Tuesday this week, so I'm gonna try and get some photos. However, someone told me that Colossus hasn't been operarting during the Thrill Chill and the Colossus queue is where people have been getting the photos from..

Yep, the place where I got the photos and video from, were in that area; they only opened it for 30 mins while Colossus attempted to open. Then they blocked it off with security.

I'm pretty sure Mumjo Jumbo and Steel Hawg each have a magnetic brake down the first drop. If that is not taken into consideration, then Screamin Squirrels should hold the world record for the steepest first drop with a brake, followed by the portable Cool and Fresh coasters.

Saw: The Ride will have the steepest drop without a brake.

Steel Hawg (and I assume Mumbo Jumbo will) is braked to the 90* point in the drop. The remaining drop (including the 111 degree point) are unbraked. Braked drops are a bit of a gray area, though, I agree. I count SH and not the Squirrels, but it can be subjective.

But that's a different discussion. And yes, Saw is the steepest drop with no brakes.

I noticed in Bradleyhart's video the car doesn't make that squeaking noise that it did in the Thorpeparkmania testing video.

In the first test it looked like it was raining, so I'm guessing the squeaking was because the track was wet and cold at the time.

And yes, I liked the Colossus theme song too! Adds a lot of atmosphere to that ride.

Hey guys

I'm very very excited about this new ride as i have never been on something like this

I'm hoping to go on opening day but I'm having my doubts as it is a saturday they're opening it is anyone else going to try and make opening day?

Also I've never been to the opening of a new ride before, what time is best to get to the park for?

Thanks

Hey guys

I'm very very excited about this new ride as i have never been on something like this

I'm hoping to go on opening day but I'm having my doubts as it is a saturday they're opening it is anyone else going to try and make opening day?

Also I've never been to the opening of a new ride before, what time is best to get to the park for?

Thanks

I am going on opening day, but there have been rumours that it may not open till the 20th of March . I haven't been to any opening days for new rides either, but knowing Thorpe I reckon something will go wrong. You should get to the park before it opens so you can run in, as I reckon the queue for Saw will be long.

For everyone who was freaking out because you were under 15 years old and therefore might not be able to ride, your answer is HERE. The official Saw: The Ride page has been put on the website and a new countdown on all pages have been placed on the top of the screen. It is still showing it will open on 14th March, so here's hoping for an on-time opening. For those of you who's mouses don't seem to work, here is the quote from the website:

WHO CAN RIDE SAW - THE RIDE?

To experience SAW - The Ride at THORPE PARK, guests must be a minimum of 1.4m tall, chest and size restrictions also apply. SAW - The Ride it is not recommended if you’re under 12. For safety reasons riders must be properly secured in the seat, which may not be possible for some guests with larger torso or thigh measurements.

Guests must also wear footwear on SAW - The Ride for evacuation reasons.

If you're unsure, selected rides have test seats which may be used before entering the queue line.

EDIT: Also, it does say that the blades on the head-chopper will spin! Thank goodnes as it would have been a bit lame if they didn't. Here's that quote:

'Face Your Fears on SAW – The Ride in 2009! Manufactured by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides, the rollercoaster is based on the horror movie franchise ‘Saw’ and leaves you at the mercy of the film's master manipulator, Jigsaw.

The ride is known as a Euro-Fighter and submits its victims to a 100° beyond vertical drop from a height of 30m (100ft) through four spinning saw blades reaching speeds of 89km/h (55mph) with three inversions, SAW.

With a capacity of 8 passengers per car and a maximum of 8 ride cars on the track, more than 1,100 passengers every hour can face their fears on SAW - The Ride, THORPE PARK's most terrifying rollercoaster!'

Well at least the who age restriction thing has been clarified, and its also good that its still being advertised opening on the first day of the main season. Still deciding whether to go on opening day or whether it would be massively busy.

Quite pleased that the blades will spin, hopefully from the top it will look like you're going to fall into them before you swoop underneath. I really hope though that they keep any theming working over the coming years.

Really looking forward to seeing whats inside the station now!

These two pictures have come to my attention and it seems there will be 'live actors' placed in the queue. If you look on the far left sign, it seems to say:

'Please be aware that there will be live actors in the queue line today. Anyone found physically or verbally abusing the actors may be removed form the park.'

sounds interesting. This is being speculated on a few fan sites and I thought I might tell you here. If this is true, then this is pretty amazing. Thorpe Park are really putting effort into making this ride the best they can and with live actors, I really do think this could be a top 10 contender. Obviously the ride itself isn't the best but, the theming, elements and storyline really add to the experience!

Here are the two pictures:

http://content.maniahub.com/photo/Thorpe/22-02-09%20Dylan/hiP1030358.JPG < Courtesy of Thorpe Park Mania

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/SawTheRide09/SANY0018-2.jpg

Looking at all the latest pictures on the thorpeparkmania website...the theming looks absolutely amazing. Any possibility Thorpe stole an imaginer from disney or if the Lionsgate studios had a lot of input into the theming as it is their brand?

From the official website:

'We have worked in close collaboration with Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures on this project to ensure total accuracy of the key elements of the ‘Saw’ films, which when combined with the latest rollercoaster technology will create a phenomenal ride experience'

So yes they have been involved, but to what extent I don't know. Looking at all of it, including the fact there will be live actors for some of the time (wonder whether this will be temporary or a permanent feature), I'm really looking forward to seeing this open.

^ Thanks for that.

I imagine that Thorpe will definately have actors when the rides opens, in the summer when the park stays open later and most definately during haloween and the fireworks bonanza.

Would it be cool if they turned the whole outdoor aspect of the queue line into a haloween fright fest maze/walkthrough??

Does anyone know just how busy it's likely to be on the 14th/21st March? Also has it been confirmed if the press etc will be there on the 14th, or before?

I'm decding whether or not to go, I'd love to go on opening day but I dont want to go to all that effort (it's quite a lot money and time wise) if its going to be completely packed. What was the opening day for Stealth like?

Does anyone know just how busy it's likely to be on the 14th/21st March? Also has it been confirmed if the press etc will be there on the 14th, or before?

I'm decding whether or not to go, I'd love to go on opening day but I dont want to go to all that effort (it's quite a lot money and time wise) if its going to be completely packed. What was the opening day for Stealth like?

Stealth opened on a Wednesday and the park was very empty however Saw is due to open on Saturday 14th and due to it being a Saturday it might get busy. I'm going Monday 16th to avoid that

14th I imagine would be pretty hellish in terms of queue time, if the public would be allowed to ride for most of the day anyway. The 21st is a Saturday so I would expect it to be busy especially since it is the *new* thing. The main things that might help are that it will probably be one of the most reliable rides in the park. With Thorpe you can never tell.

These two pictures have come to my attention and it seems there will be 'live actors' placed in the queue. If you look on the far left sign, it seems to say:

'Please be aware that there will be live actors in the queue line today. Anyone found physically or verbally abusing the actors may be removed form the park.'

sounds interesting. This is being speculated on a few fan sites and I thought I might tell you here. If this is true, then this is pretty amazing. Thorpe Park are really putting effort into making this ride the best they can and with live actors, I really do think this could be a top 10 contender. Obviously the ride itself isn't the best but, the theming, elements and storyline really add to the experience!

Here are the two pictures:

http://content.maniahub.com/photo/Thorpe/22-02-09%20Dylan/hiP1030358.JPG < Courtesy of Thorpe Park Mania

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/SawTheRide09/SANY0018-2.jpg

Live actors sound pretty cool, I hope the queue isn't going to be too disturbing.

I like how in those pictures it says, "You must be this tall to play this game."

^^^^press day is the 13th (park closed to GP). I would imagine the place will be hammered on the 14th, at least the line for SAW will be, and probably the 21st also. Depends on how desperate you are to ride. If it is a big expense etc to get there, and given it is a new ride and prone to technical issues running full cycle in the early days, I would wait until the weather was better and make a good day out of it instead. Your call.

^I just think it would be great to ride it before I hear all about whats inside etc. I guess I could just not read about it until I get to go on it.

Yeah I can only go on a Saturday, otherwise I'd go in the week sometime. I wouldn't ever go on a Saturday unless I had to, it's my only option really unless I wait until later on in the year.

Thanks for your help =]