TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

The boarding cards are a bit strange, did they say that was going to be permanent?

I also worry about people placing lighter items like hats directly under the ride. Big drop towers create a lot of downward/outward wind and it could blow stuff all over the place. But I guess as long as the stuff stayed within the ride area, it wouldn't matter. Just glad to see it's finally up and running.

I asked one of the workers who was handing out cards. He said it was working well so far, and if it continues to work well it will become permanent.

I got to ride it today too. I liked the slow ascent and the way it spiraled to give everyone the same views. Also, even though the videos show where it starts slowing about halfway down the tower, it's hardly noticable when you ride. Had a very short line throughout the day, and the guests seemed really surprised to see it open, even asking the height measurers in front if it was open to everybody or just a special group of people.

I gotta say, when Verbolten opens next year, that section of the park is going to have more crowds than it's had in about 20 years (the year Drachen Fire opened).

Also, the fireworks for Illuminights were great.

^ Wait, I'm confused...I thought it actually OPENED today?

Ride ops were working the line during the breakdowns, asking people how they heard the ride was "open" (Facebook was the most common answer). They were trying to keep the crowds as light as possible due to yesterday just being a "soft opening."

Maybe this weekend will mark the "official" opening?

Edited by cfc

Just announced on BGW's Facebook page that the ride is officially opened today!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150264615278315&set=a.62724368314.74209.18543728314&type=1&theater

Hold onto your Lederhosen, fans. We are excited to announce that Mach Tower is officially opened today.

This is what I figured would happen. The ride has been delayed so long, just open the thing and skip all the fanfare.

Edited by ernierocker

An interesting thing is that on RCDB.com, the theme of Apollo's Chariot is this:

Based on Greco-Roman mythology: Apollo was the god of light, purity, and the sun. In Greek mythology, he was the son of Zeus, the king of the gods. According to an epic tale, Apollo, driving a celestial horse-drawn chariot, was responsible for hauling the sun across the skies. One day, his son Phaethon pestered his permission to take the chariot for a ride. Phaethon was encouraged by his sisters and even his own mother. But Apollo always refused - he knew that his son was far from ready to assume such a responsibility.

However, against his better judgement, Apollo eventually allowed the request. So one day Phaethon climbed into the chariot, which was drawn by two white horses, grasped the reins and set off across the skies. It was soon apparent that Phaethon was incapable of controlling the horses - they galloped so high in the sky that the earth was close to freezing, then they plunged so close to the earth that the fields were burnt. This didn’t sit very well with Zeus - he was so enraged by Apollo’s irresponsible behavior that he struck Phaethon dead with a thunderbolt.

Link: rcdb.com/531.htm?t=291

The interesting note is the story is based on Greek mythology but Apollo's Chariot is in a Roman/Italian section of the park.

Also, my 150th post!

An interesting thing is that on RCDB.com, the theme of Apollo's Chariot is this:

Based on Greco-Roman mythology: Apollo was the god of light, purity, and the sun. In Greek mythology, he was the son of Zeus, the king of the gods. According to an epic tale, Apollo, driving a celestial horse-drawn chariot, was responsible for hauling the sun across the skies. One day, his son Phaethon pestered his permission to take the chariot for a ride. Phaethon was encouraged by his sisters and even his own mother. But Apollo always refused - he knew that his son was far from ready to assume such a responsibility.

However, against his better judgement, Apollo eventually allowed the request. So one day Phaethon climbed into the chariot, which was drawn by two white horses, grasped the reins and set off across the skies. It was soon apparent that Phaethon was incapable of controlling the horses - they galloped so high in the sky that the earth was close to freezing, then they plunged so close to the earth that the fields were burnt. This didn’t sit very well with Zeus - he was so enraged by Apollo’s irresponsible behavior that he struck Phaethon dead with a thunderbolt.

The interesting note is the story is based on Greek mythology but Apollo's Chariot is in a Roman/Italian section of the park.

Also, my 150th post!

As you're probably well aware, the Greeks and Romans basically had the same Gods, just with different names, but Apollo was known by the same name by both the Greeks and Romans .

^ Griffon is open during CT from what I understand depending on the weather (and using last year's map for reference).

Mach Tower review!

Now that the tower's broken in, I can give out my detailed review of the ride. I had the chance to ride Wednesday as part of the employee preview and I'll say that it's definitely an amazing addition to the park.

I had four rides in a row. Two on the side facing Verbolten and two on the side facing the park.

The loading process is pretty efficient from observations made during the preview and soft opening. The line was constantly moving while the ride was running. Loading the vehicle might slow operations a little because some guests had trouble getting their restraints in.

The ride basically starts out on the ground with the music playing. As you go higher and higher, the music becomes more ominous with some occasional static as you move higher up the tower. At the top, the music cuts off, you "stop" for a few seconds (the car just moves really slowly up), the seats vibrate and then you drop. The vibrations added a nice "surprise" factor to the ride. I expected them to be stronger though. During the drop you can barely feel the brakes until you reach closer to the bottom. Airtime on the tower is also pretty plentiful!

Unfortunately the seats weren't the comfiest in the world and the restraints ARE kinda tight. Larger riders may have trouble getting into the seats.

The view from the top is impressive. Verbolten's area looks huge and the side facing the park looks amazing! I can't wait to see what the area looks like after Verbolten comes in.

** Final notes **

The park looks amazing from the top and this is definitely an awesome addition to the park. This is a ride the park desperately needed to bring up its game in the flat ride department. Was it worth the wait? I'd say yes for all the rides I had.

A TPR member walked up to me while I was operating rides. It was a short meetup but definitely fun.

I also managed to see Chuck (cfc) standing in line yesterday (at least I think it was him).

The story of Apollo is derived from Greco-Roman mythology.

Apollo IS the Roman name for the God of the Sun so it fits perfectly and is appropriately named for that section of the park. The Greek name for the God of the Sun is Helios.

Also, my 150th post!

I remember reading this and thinking the same thing when I read it years ago, but I knew Busch was smart and didn't put a Greek-named ride in the Roman section of the park. It seems a little funky at first, but somehow seamlessly blends together in the end. Hope Verbolten is the same way!