TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

^Does he? If he's crazy enough to still want to work with the fair board, I'm not so sure about that...

Just on the surface it would seem that he subscribed to the Six Flags of old's business model when he last ran the park: he poured a ton of money into the park and then had to cash out. Was that because he couldn't afford the debt incurred from all those rides?

Just wanted to share something to keep guesses going on about the new roller coaster. This photo came off of parkfans.net to give you a clear idea about where the new roller coaster is going minus Greezed Lightnin ofcourse and will probably use the Greezed Lightnin station. Some news media around here have said on their websites it was going to be a large steel roller coaster.

I worry about seeing that image how fast they may run out of land after they add the coaster and the water park. I'm sure there are ways to tuck the rides in here and there, and that may be something that makes the park fun and different in the future.

^^^^ I'm pretty sure the park was making a pretty good profit before he sold it. I believe he made mention of that during the KKRC campaign.

The pictures of the slides Screamscape posted where from that original KKRC submission (the one with the family wooden coaster in GL's spot and the B&M in the go carts/first half of Chang's spot) so those are definitely outdated. I never knew the second and third proposals were made public, I thought only the first RFP submission was; the more you know! Lol

On the land issue, KK does have available land they own that has not been developed yet on the back side of the park. There's always the possibility of ripping up some of the parking lot on the front side of the park and using the soon to be available space where Cardinal Stadium is to compensate. Just speculating of course.

The pictures of the slides Screamscape posted where from that original KKRC submission (the one with the family wooden coaster in GL's spot and the B&M in the go carts/first half of Chang's spot) so those are definitely outdated.

But the slides proposed in that submission are still unique, and very creative, so I would not be surprised if that's how they turn out.

They do look pretty epic; I don't really care for waterparks but if they added those slides, I would have to go at least once!

So I whipped up a quick outline to show what I was speaking about earlier when it comes to possible expansion. The parking lot right next to the park entrance (1A) is the one I was talking about in the previous post (It's the one used for the KSF thrill way). The building that's floating in the sea of asphalt (1B) is the old Cardinal Stadium that is going to be torn down; then we have the very interesting tracts C and D.

KECnum.jpg.377bbf87fdf065bc683e8b9e886bac2b.jpg

While trying to find a resource that showed the actual property line of the KEC, I stumbled upon the 2011-2012 RFP sent out by the KSFB for development of a new hotel on the property. Tract C is listed as one of the potential areas for development. It was incredibly hard to make out the border but it appears that 1A is included in it. Tract D is also listed as a potential option for the hotel and it seems to be the one they were more in favor of being used. If the developer chose to use tract C however, the KSFB could use D for the animal shelter/staging areas instead of tract C. One more thing to note, Cardinal Stadium's locale was not mentioned as an option for that hotel development.

If I recall correctly, late 2011/early 2012 was around the time the future of KK was really up in the air and the KSFB was looking for another revenue option. And If I read/viewed that RFP correctly, KK expanding into areas 1A and C then becomes incredibly plausible.

That is correct. It was said the park would be an 80 acre park one day. I could see the park also expanding the waterpark in the parking lot next to the main entrance to the KFEC.

Kentucky Kingdom still has a lot of land to work with in its current perimeter. Around twisted twins, on the side of Mile High Falls, there are a lot of open footprints where Six Flags removed ride over the years, etc. When Ed was building the park it always seemed as if he was running out of land, but he kept expanding, and expanding. Even Holiday World said being landlocked isn't a problem. But they also said it would take 2 years to fix the park.

We've almost reached the end of rides to speculate on, land expansion is the next logical step!

Did Six Flags own the skycoaster? I know that sometimes they just get a cut of the profits for the use of the land. Where did this skycoaster end up?

It was a lease and went back to S&S iirc. The Slingshot and wild mouse both were supposed to both go to SFNE...but the Slingshot didn't get approval and was moved to Elitch Gardens. SFNE almost had a shake n' bake, shove and brake, and launch and stop all from KK (still ended up with two of the three).

I loved working the Sky Coaster, I was a site controller for 2 Seasons. One Morning I did a test flight and as I was Stopping I got myself out of the suit and dropped in to the loading box, before they raised it up. I was told later in the day a Guest complained about me doing that.

Skycoasters are just about the only rides that still scare the crap out of me. I regret it every single time I ride one when the different motors kick in and cause the wobble. We had a crazy summer storm pop up one day while I was working RRE. We had to go into that little shed the exit ramp passed through, and lightning hit the skycoaster a few times....we couldn't hear properly for a while after that. Hellivator's computers got zapped during that storm and was down for a few weeks, which sucked as I was supposed to be trained on it the next day; never got a chance to ride it again.

I really hope this attempt to restore and revive the park turns out successful. It might not have been the biggest park around but it definitely gave my friends and I something to look forward to back then. Every year was the same, Thunder over Louisville at the end of April, and the next weekend KK would open and we'd try out the newest prototype at the park and hope it didn't strand us in an awkward position for a couple hours!

I liked SkyCoaster too. Of course, I'm not a fan of a $15 up-charge on anything, but it sure did impress. Also, Kentucky Kingdom was lucky (in my opinion) to even have one at 180 ft since most others I've seen at parks didn't even reach 130ft in height.

Also, I'm considering my options for what to do for my next summer break, and I'm considering filling out an application (once it becomes available) for KK. I definitely want to be there when the park opens, but I'm wondering about working for them too since I need a summer job...

• 2 weeks later...

What I would think could be a possibility is a Gerstlauer looping coaster like the Smiler, but with 4 inversions. A loop, dive loop/immelmann, zero g roll, and a corkscrew. It would probably be a short ride, about 40-50 seconds long, if that. And for that MACK mega coaster theory, I'm pretty sure Storm was more expensive than $7 million.

I don't believe I've seen that either. It is neat to see though!

BTW, I posted a question on the KK Facebook page to try and confirm if the announcements would be made this week like the news articles stated during the Thunder Run Media Event. I can't pull the quote right now since I'm at work but they stated the announcement will not be made this week, but in the coming weeks. From some of their other responses they say everything will be announced before the holidays so that leaves us with two more weeks to hurry up and wait.