TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Got back from our trip around the lake early this morning. Goliath is everything that has been said. What an incredible ride! Those zero-G stalls are exactly that: all floater. We rode in the middle once and in the back twice. The back provided a better first drop but after that both seats provided a similar experience. We got to the park right at open Tuesday and headed straight back, and the wait was already at an hour. That hour actually lasted about 45 minutes and felt like 30. After our ride the wait was up to 120 and yes, stayed there for the rest of the day. Yesterday we rose bright and early (LaQuinta yesss) and hit the gate before open. We trot-stepped as others ran by and tired themselves out, and we passed most of them around the Yankee Harbor bridge as a result I think we made the third train of the day but as we de-boarded, sure enough the wait was 120 minutes. We intended on a re-ride but decided instead to cycle the Bull. We got six rides before the wait changed from 15 to 45. The rest of the day was pretty populated as all lines on all major rides were posted at a 45 to 120 min wait.

I will also mention that I officially divorced Eagle yesterday. At least the red side.

wow, the platinum really needs to be explained better. especially if you can't double ride, what a bummer. i was pretty close to buying the platinum. i've never bought one, but i could swear at Magic Mountain, my home park, they use wristbands for platinum. something else I liked because i don't want to have to carry that egg around.

The wristbands are used in addition to the Qbot for platinum passes. The wristbands distinguish who can double ride.

We purchased platinum passes for my two sons last year at Great America and were explained that V2 was one rid only, no doubles and at the time X flight you were only allowed two bookings.

However we were able to book rides for my wife or I and one of my sons with the Qbot, just not allowed double rides. All this whining about flash passes is silly.

You can't double ride Goliath either like you can all the other rides on the platinum pass. I will say it's nice having the platinum pass and not getting out of your seat when you have front row on all the coasters,

And it's not so nice for the other 99% of park guests. I don't mind the existence of Flash Pass, but I absolutely cannot stand being subject to extra wait time once I've queued for a row. (ADA compliance I can deal with, although I wish we could come up with a better way to handle that.) When Flash Pass is done right with merge points just prior to the station (not up the exit), I don't mind it. But flash pass via the exit (see SFSTL) and double rides are upsetting to me.

In general, brand new coasters and single-train coasters at SF do not offer double rides. The capacity is just too low and it inconveniences the rest of the guests too much. I assume the reasoning is similar for Giant Drop. I wish they would just get rid of double rides.

The main inconvenience I've experience with flash pass was at SFGadv this Spring. It didn't make a huge difference to me as the lines were manageable that day, but giving an entire 32 seat B&M train to 8 or 10 flash pass users alone is rediculous.

Wow, were chimpanzees in charge that day?

The weather was completely against me in trying to take photos on Media Day, but I managed to get a few I really like. Click for full size!

14493928836_2d9bef8ca7_z.jpg

14515938552_40c37cfe2d_z.jpg

Wish I could have gotten more but the rain made me put my camera away. Besides, it's a pain to carry a DSLR around when you really want to ride coasters all day.

Nice photos! The other couple that you didn't post are brilliant as well. These really convey how breathtaking the ride actually is. I can't get over that you have NOTHING to hold on to! It really adds to the thrill that even the most nervous rider can't assuage themselves with that small bit of security

I'll be visiting Six Flags Great America next Saturday.

Any tips? It'll be my first time going. Should I get a Flash Pass?

It's a crapshoot to know for sure. Keep in mind that if you're thinking about Goliath, the Platinum pass is the only one that works there and it's only good for one ride for the day on Goliath. Otherwise, I guess I would be inclined to get to the park way early, get to Goliath as soon as the park opens and then wait the 1-2 hours to get a ride. If you're interested in shorter lines on the other coasters than pre-buy a Gold Flashpass online, go pick it up after you ride Goliath and have at it. Everything is going to be busy on a Saturday, especially if the weather is nice. Since I mentioned weather, predicting crowds is about as reliable as predicting weather.

It's a crapshoot to know for sure. Keep in mind that if you're thinking about Goliath, the Platinum pass is the only one that works there and it's only good for one ride for the day on Goliath. Otherwise, I guess I would be inclined to get to the park way early, get to Goliath as soon as the park opens and then wait the 1-2 hours to get a ride. If you're interested in shorter lines on the other coasters than pre-buy a Gold Flashpass online, go pick it up after you ride Goliath and have at it. Everything is going to be busy on a Saturday, especially if the weather is nice. Since I mentioned weather, predicting crowds is about as reliable as predicting weather.

Thanks. I might change my plans from what I'm hearing.

Nice photos! The other couple that you didn't post are brilliant as well. These really convey how breathtaking the ride actually is. I can't get over that you have NOTHING to hold on to! It really adds to the thrill that even the most nervous rider can't assuage themselves with that small bit of security

They actually have a strap/handle on the restraint for holding on to.

If you go the weekend of the 4th, you can bring a Coke can and get on some rides (including Goliath) an hour early.

If you go the weekend of the 4th, you can bring a Coke can and get on some rides (including Goliath) an hour early.

Thanks for reverting me from throwing my Coke can into the recycling bin. It's with me for now. Goliath is my #1 ride.

I bought the platinum passes online before the visit thinking they would sell out because of unlimited rides on Goliath...Stupid me, right? There was no disclaimer online telling me this except that Goliath would only be available on the platinum pass and that there would be no refunds. Well, when we got to the park they told us right before they handed us the qbots...talk about being pissed off. I couldn't return them for a refund so we were stuck with them, so we made the best time out of them possible. It was fun having them, I won't lie...But there was this big void after having spent so much for them. Also, the park closed at nine for everyone but stayed open to midnight for season pass holders. The qbots had to be returned by 9pm...and we couldn't use them afterwards even though we had season passes. That was another drawback. The park was nearly as crowded after 9pm as it was before 9pm, so it didn't really help. I know it sounds like I'm griping, and I'm not trying to...We had a really great time. I love this park. I love the rides. Really, the only hiccup all day was the qbot thing. Before you spend all that money, you should know that they only give you one pass-the-line on Goliath. That's all.

I'm disappointed about this, the whole reason I bought Platinum Passes is for Goliath. But at least I'm guaranteed a ride!

I don't think that little thing is for the rider. Try holding on to it while riding...

I visited the park for the first time on Thursday and Friday.

I really enjoyed it. This Six Flags has some nicely themed areas (especially Southwest Territory and Mardi Gras), and the ride collection here is one of the best I've seen. Lots of great roller coasters and flats. Other than Cedar Point, I don't think I've seen another park with this many large coasters.

V2- Your typical Intamin Impulse coaster, but tons of fun. The back spike in the back seat has some nice air.

Raging Bull- Pretty decent B&M with one of the best first drops I've ever been on. The rest of the ride was just ok.

Batman the Ride- It was sort of surreal to ride the first ever inverted coaster (especially after riding Banshee just days prior). Rode just like my home Batman in Georgia, which means it was a blast. Still one of the best compact coasters ever made.

American Eagle- BEAUTIFUL classic woodie. Better than any other classic racer I've ridden. Seriously, this thing was super fun. The ride ops were actually racing the trains which made my rides all the better. The ride rode surprisingly smooth. The I-beam track on the outbound run felt like sitting in a massage chair lol.

Dark Knight- I actually liked this ride a lot. For just being an indoor Wild Mouse, it was pretty smooth, and all the effects were really cool.

Superman- Nothing special here. It was fun, but Georgia's is better.

Whizzer- I'm a sucker for classic Schwarzkopfs, and this one was tons of fun. I loved the setting for this ride, and I LOVED the super old-school trains. Great family coaster.

Little Dipper- Pretty nice kiddie coaster. Super smooth. Rode it to get the credit, nothing else.

Viper- Loved this one. Georgia Cyclone would be better if it was as smooth as Viper was, but Viper wins because there's no trims anywhere on the course so this thing flys, and there's airtime on every hill.

X-Flight- Pretty fun wing coaster. It's not much better than GateKeeper and Wild Eagle. I do like wing coasters, but I don't love them.

Demon- I couldn't help but laugh at the cheesy 1980s charm that was all over this ride. The ride itself was pretty fun, and not nearly as painful as I thought it would be. I'm used to Vortex at Kings Island, so this was pretty enjoyable in comparison.

Finally, the star of the show...

Goliath- My first RMC. Holy crap, everything about this thing was amazing. The first drop, the overbanks, the airtime hill, the dive loop, and especially the zero-g stall! It's a quick ride for sure, but it blew every other coaster there away.

Overall park rating for me: 7/10.

Now, did I catch Dark Knight on a bad day or ride in a bad car, or was my recent visit justifiably the single worst coaster experience I've had ?

I don't think there is a bad car, they're all the same... to call it your worst coaster experience ever is a strong statement. I could give you a list of coasters to ride that would elevate your DK memory

I rather enjoyed DK this year, all the effects seemed to be working! Last season if I recall, we had no truck at the end and no rotating lights. I like it when parks don't just "let go" of failing effects. Now fix the misters on X-Flight!

Great day at Great America yesterday. Crowds were surprisingly light, my friend and I got 3 flash passes for us and our kids, it was buy one get one free so we got a great deal (because of our season passes and we had 6 people in our group I think?). Anyway, lines were no longer than 30-45 minutes for most rides which I don't mind, but with two 7 year olds we decided to splurge for once. Did not go on Goliath, although the line was only about 90 minutes surprisingly. Looks beautiful. A guy behind me for xflight was telling me he won't ever go on it because it's a wooden coaster and they aren't safe. Not too bright. My daughter enjoyed the parade and 'concert'. Only disappointment was the Raging Bull closed about 7 or so so only rode it once.

I don't think that little thing is for the rider. Try holding on to it while riding...

I held onto it the entire ride, and tightly!