TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Now fix the misters on X-Flight!

Exactly. I wish that they would use one year's budget for a new attraction and buy something really cheap or run a ride backwards (so they can market that as a new attraction) and then use the left over money to fix up the park. I'm talking fixing all of the special effects, painting some of their coasters (Eagle comes to mind). Also, running all rides at full capacity would be great as well. They could really make the park look nice, and get everything in running order.

Now fix the misters on X-Flight!

Exactly. I wish that they would use one year's budget for a new attraction and buy something really cheap or run a ride backwards (so they can market that as a new attraction) and then use the left over money to fix up the park. I'm talking fixing all of the special effects, painting some of their coasters (Eagle comes to mind). Also, running all rides at full capacity would be great as well. They could really make the park look nice, and get everything in running order.

What scares me the most is the rusting I saw on Batman last year that has only gotten worse in the off season. Whizzer is starting to get pretty bad, too. They both need a sandblasting/priming/painting to make it more then a couple years past this point.

I am sure it has been asked a million times, but is Row 4 on XFlight for larger riders such as GateKeeper. I was at Cedar Point a week ago and went on Gatekeeper front row and 4th row(several times) and though I barely fit row 1, i'd rather be comfortable. I liked the ride from the 4th row better anyway which was surprising.

I am sure it has been asked a million times, but is Row 4 on XFlight for larger riders such as GateKeeper. I was at Cedar Point a week ago and went on Gatekeeper front row and 4th row(several times) and though I barely fit row 1, i'd rather be comfortable. I liked the ride from the 4th row better anyway which was surprising.

YES

What's going on at the park! I've been hearing reports of a lot of rides closed, anybody have more info about this?

I heard it's a power outage so a lot of rides were down. Not sure if it had anything to do with the violent storms yesterday or not.

A guy behind me for xflight was telling me he won't ever go on it because it's a wooden coaster and they aren't safe. Not too bright.

lol

Good. One less idiot in line in front of me.

Please allow me to apologize on this person's behalf for not being fluent in (or obsessed with) the all important field of roller coasters.

FINALLY.....got to ride "Goliath" but it was not without it's share of hiccups. Due to circumstances beyond my control...I could not get to the park before two p.m. Had to park in the "overflow" lot, although at the front but my mission today was all about Goliath. Got in line at 2:10 and by 2:30 the ride had stopped...........waited in line, and the ride restarted, just as more dark storm clouds started to gather over the park. (For those of you that are not from the area, we had two 'Monster' stormfronts and tornadoes roll thru Illinois and Indiana yesterday......looked like a repeat). Ride ran maybe 6-10 more cycles and went down for the count again.

They changed the public service announcement from, "Goliath hopes to be back up and running soon...." to "Goliath will be down for a LENGTHY amount of time, and perhaps it would be best to leave the line and go enjoy other attractions." Almost everyone left the line, but since this was my 4th visit to the park this year and my only goal was a credit on "Goliath" (I've already been on the other rides multiple times...) so I stayed put, but got to advance to almost the staircase because everyone scattered.

It was a long wait, two hours plus, however, when the ride did re-open, I was on the either 5th or 6th train dispatched............

What a ride!

It is relentless after the drop until the final brake run.

The first drop is great (I usually ride in the back and on this ride, no exception)....

I didn't understand how you could have 'airtime pop's' on an overbanked turn, now I understand.

Although the restraints are so snug, you can't float on the first airtime hill, if the restraints weren't as snug, you'd need hundreds of medical personnel on hand to scoop up the ejected riders.....intense.

The dive loop is amazing and what follows is pure bliss.

The Zero G Stall......nothing like it. You feel weightless and for just a half second too long....it does not seem natural. Yay!

2nd overbanked turn is fun, but not as intense, and final bump before brake run gives one last pop of airtime.

Got a back to back ride after the first time because of a vacant seat in the middle. I was scowled at by the ride ops but never approached. My bad. And honestly, I did wait over two hours for a "90" min line with two breakdowns....I am not beating myself up over this.

There was NO Single Rider Line today.....I will be posting a ? to the Ask Alvey thread because of all the nonsense I got from park employees today.....I know it's not their fault personally, but when I ask a question six times, I don't expect six completely different answers about something that Hank Salemi said was going to be one of the perks for single riders. My wife buys me a season pass for my BDay every year, as she is not a ride enthusiast and does not go with me....and I was really looking forward to this.............not today.

Anywho, got on 4 times total.....and it really is a great ride. Best attraction that has ever stood on the old footprint of the Ferris Wheel, Z-Force, Iron Wolf....and the old "Whirligig" queue......

Nice job SFGA and RMC...............really!

Also.....yes, the power grid did go out for about an hour at the park today. (It happened to me last year too)........literally nothing was running during that time. I have no idea what caused it, because it actually had gotten sunny and mild when everything went dead. In any case, got some walking shoes broken in just circling the park until things started to reopen.

Prob won't be going back for 3 weeks, but I will definitely get back in line for Goliath!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally getting around to posting the official POV, press release, and photos that the park released:

http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7127851-goliath-record-breaking-roller-coaster-debuts-at-six-flags-great-america/

Record Breaking Roller Coaster, Goliath, Now Open at Six Flags Great America

Fastest Wooden Roller Coaster with Tallest and Steepest Drop on the Planet

Gurnee, Ill., June 19, 2014 / PRNewswire / — The new GIANT in the world of wooden roller coasters makes its debut today! Six Flags Great America presents Goliath, the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world featuring the world’s tallest and steepest drop. All total, this wooden marvel touts three world records and goes upside down twice making it the most extreme coaster of its kind on the planet!

“Goliath is innovation at its best and will forever change the skyline of Six Flags Great America,” said Hank Salemi, park president. “This park provides the most thrills for all ages at any park in the country and we are committed to bringing new and innovative rides, shows and attractions to our guests every year.”

Record Breaking Facts:

Fastest wooden roller coaster – 72 miles-per-hour

Tallest drop on a wooden roller coaster – 180 feet

Steepest drop on a roller coaster – 85 degrees

Two upside down turns through two separate maneuvers

The addition of Goliath makes Six Flags Great America home to the most wooden roller coaster track of any theme park in the world. Goliath resides in the County Fair section of the park.

About Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor

Two great parks, one destination! Located between Chicago and Milwaukee, Six Flags Great America offers endless adventures for the entire family with 14 heart-pounding roller coasters, a 20-acre water park, spectacular shows, three children's themed areas with over 30 rides and a nighttime parade.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world's largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For 53 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®. For more information, visit http://www.sixflags.com.

Follow us at twitter.com/SFGreat_America

Like us at facebook.com/SFGreatAmerica

#Goliath

SFGM_Goliath_2014_0667.thumb.jpg.01d1a9397df7066b270687f0529a5ec3.jpg

SFGM_Goliath_2014_1155.thumb.jpg.8325e4dd72a35a93d0cb649b6c9b8d9c.jpg

SFGM_Goliath_2014_1189.thumb.jpg.57ca15396a0a4455218617dda09dc1c7.jpg

SFGM_Goliath_2014_1386.thumb.jpg.4318bfaea95ccb63ec3439baacdf4a05.jpg

SFGM_Goliath_2014_G0065419.thumb.JPG.2269d80acc923864768da05b48dfa0c2.JPG

I'll be visiting the park in two months and I have so questions that come to my mind, what are the typical crowds during late August? How busy does Hurricane Harbor get during those days? how useful are the Flashpasses (I already have them, including HH)? And finally, do any areas or attractions open up at later times after park opening?

Question: How does the airtime on Goliath compare to Outlaw Run? I know there's not going to be as many airtime moments but how is the intensity of the forces?

I'd hope that the airtime is more prolonged on Goliath as it came in short but sweet bursts on Outlaw.

Question: How does the airtime on Goliath compare to Outlaw Run? I know there's not going to be as many airtime moments but how is the intensity of the forces?

I'd hope that the airtime is more prolonged on Goliath as it came in short but sweet bursts on Outlaw.

I think Outlaw Run has far more to offer. Goliath has a great first drop, "One" nice airtime hill, and two very cool inversions. However, its over so quick. It just seems like there is a lot to be desired.

Give me Outlaw Run any day of the week.

I second that. Outlaw Run is significantly more forceful IMO. Goliath features one ejector air and some quick pops of air, but nothing like the ejector shots on OR.

The inversions on Goliath are more floaty than forceful which I actually enjoyed.

I think the way Goliath was designed is significantly more re-rideable than OR. After several laps on OR my thighs were hurting from having to keep my body from flying out on all the air time hills and the second barrel roll where you are literally falling out of your seats.

Outlaw Run still beats it out in just about every area in my books. In no one way is that saying Goliath is a bad ride (it's my 3rd favorite coaster I've ridden), it's just that Outlaw Run is that good. I do like the first drop of Goliath a tad more than OR's and the Zero-G stall is very strange but fantastic. I sort of got off your question, or maybe I was never on it... back to the airtime question. Goliath's airtime hill didn't seem to last that much longer than some of Outlaw Run's pops of air throughout the course. Maybe just a second longer. I really only got airtime on the first drop, exiting the first overbank turn, and the airtime hill. Still an incredible ride, but I prefer OR slightly more because it has a more out of control feeling.