TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

This is going to be awesome! I've never been on a surf simulator, so that is something I need to try for next year. Is "activity pool" just a fancy name for "kid's play area"?

I'm wondering if they will create a separate entrance to the water park with this expansion? I know they didn't announce it, but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

The "activity pool" at Timber-age Lodge is just a regular pool (big pool) that has basketball hoops with smaller slides leading into it. Also with waterfalls fountains etc...

Even if SFGAm created a second entrance, the picture says it will still remain included with park admission, so it won't be a separate ticket

I'm just so happy there is an activity pool now. There wasn't a normal swimming pool you could just hang out in (Sorry, the wave pool is such a bummer and is evacuated too much.) Surf Simulators though, very thrilling!

Evacuated in case of Baby Ruths?

The "activity pool" at Timber-age Lodge is just a regular pool (big pool) that has basketball hoops with smaller slides leading into it. Also with waterfalls fountains etc...

Even if SFGAm created a second entrance, the picture says it will still remain included with park admission, so it won't be a separate ticket

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember a couple of the indoor pools at Wilderness (which goes outside as well) have a few basketball hoops set up. I think one might even have volleyball.

I'm glad that water park admission is included with park admission. I really don't go to HH that often (maybe once a year if that) but it's a nice added bonus to have.

While I'm not a huge water park fan, I'm glad to see this long rumored project finally getting built. While not terribly huge, it is still probably enough attractions to significantly increase the water park's capacity. A speed slide was needed at the park, and the activity pool and surf simulators will also make great attractions. I can't wait to see how it turns out, and hopefully the expansion matches what is already there in terms of theming as Hurricane Harbor is one of the nicest places in the park.

A bit more info..

The Best Water Park in the Nation...Just Got Bigger

Coming in 2011 — Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor! Catch a wave

at the only place to surf on Lake Michigan. The newly expanded

water park will boast more slides and attractions than any other

in the state.

Splash into three more acres of fun featuring:

Double-sided surf simulator

Caribbean-inspired activity pool

Thrilling waterslides

Luxury cabanas and more!

The Riptide Bay expansion will complement Hurricane Harbor's tropical-inspired paradise boasting hundreds of wet and wild water activities for all ages. Best of all, you can enjoy the water park for FREE with your Six Flags Great America daily admission or Season Pass. Get two parks for the price of one!

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor is open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.

Explore 100,000 square feet of slides, pools and water fun

Get drenched on the award-winning Tornado

Jump into a simulated ocean at Hurricane Bay

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/rideswaterpark/WaterParkOverview.aspx

^Usually you go until you fall or there's a time limit. If everyone has a minute and there are two sides, 120 people/hour. If everyone has 45 seconds, 160 people/hour. Those are just random guesses though.

I'm definitely excited for this addition! I think it's just what Hurricane Harbor needed.

I've only been in their water park one time but it seemed really busy when I was there. Maybe I'm crazy but doesn't that seem like an awfully low capacity for a park this size? Even having two sides?

I'm not knocking it. I think it sounds awesome. I wish we could get one of these at Michigan's Adventure. I just want to try one of these out without standing in line half a day.

Maybe we could get another TPR day with some awesome water park ERT?

^Well put.

Back to the "hourly wave break" topic...I lifeguard at Seabreeze, and we don't bother with clearing the wave pool unless we absolutely have to do so. We do however do a complete bottom scan of the pool every forty minutes. The job may be stressful, but honestly 30 min. per 8 hour shift really is enough of a break.

^In comparison, White Water West says that the capacity of their aqualoop is also 120 people/hour. There really are just not any "people eater" waterslides, so adding an entire new section is the best way to increase the entire capacity of Hurricane Harbor as a whole.
But there are...look at Proslide mammoths or rockets. Also some flow riders have 2 people on each one, so thats 4 people simultaneously.

I recently visited Noah's Ark and while I didn't get to ride their new "looping" water slide I found myself questioning the capacity on that too. Chalk it up to another thing I would love to try but not quite sure I'm ready to wait an hour in line to do so.

All of this being said I will be the first to admit that I spend very little time in water parks so I'm not sure what is normal capacity on one type of slide to the next.

I was just curious. Either way I think I am gonna have to try one of these surf simulators before too long. It looks like a lot of fun.

The wave pool at Great America is packed on busy days. I'm not positive about it, but does Six Flags have to clear the wavepool often just for insurance reasons?

Having been in aquatics for years now, I just find it as a bit funny people need to clear a pool to make sure it is truly clear... If you aren't proactively scanning, finding a person at the 40 min mark is... not really going to help them... Do they not trust their guards?

The wonderful AFR is always a joy to have, telling people we're just doing some spot cleaning and/or selective water quality checks is fun...

I wish there was some way to get the whole water park as ERT for 2-3 hours. I like the water park but it seems to always be packed. I went for the 1st time in a couple years 2 weekends ago and only went in the wave pool and walked through the kids area because of the massive lines for everything. A dead water park (when its not like 60 degrees outside!) would be awesome!

The wave pool at Great America is packed on busy days. I'm not positive about it, but does Six Flags have to clear the wavepool often just for insurance reasons?

Having been in aquatics for years now, I just find it as a bit funny people need to clear a pool to make sure it is truly clear... If you aren't proactively scanning, finding a person at the 40 min mark is... not really going to help them... Do they not trust their guards?

The wonderful AFR is always a joy to have, telling people we're just doing some spot cleaning and/or selective water quality checks is fun...

Oh, they trust their guards. They are Ellis guards, and won the Ellis International Lifeguard Competition. No question there of how prepared they are.

One more small bit of info about Riptide Bay from the SF blog..

We’ll start with Great America cause they’re coming off a really fun Facebook application that’s been teasing their new attraction for the past week. Hurricane Harbor will be going under the knife and getting some major reconstructive surgery. We’re talking like Heidi Montag-level enhancement surgery. Brand new attractions including a Caribbean-inspired activity lagoon pool and a thrill slide or two will be highlighting the over 3-acre expansion known as RIPTIDE BAY. It’ll even be getting a flowrider making it the only surfing area in Chicago. The opening is currently scheduled for Spring 2011, which sadly only gives me about 40 weeks to get into “bathing suit shape.” (In the interest of full disclosure, I’m typing this with one hand and eating a funnel cake with the other.)

http://www.sixflags.com/national/footernav/sixflagsblog.aspx