TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^I'd definitely expect it to be in the top 10, maybe top 5 if it has enough mutual rider comparisons. Hopefully this thing will beat out Viper as my #1 at the park but I fully expect Outlaw Run to retain my #1 overall spot.

I'm planning on going to Great America for the first time next week. I have some of Tuesday and all of Wednesday set as the plan. How long are lines usually? Granted it depends on the day, but how long approximately are the waits? Obviously Goliath's wait will be insane but how long has it been lately?

I'm planning on going to Great America for the first time next week. I have some of Tuesday and all of Wednesday set as the plan. How long are lines usually? Granted it depends on the day, but how long approximately are the waits? Obviously Goliath's wait will be insane but how long has it been lately?

Tuesday and Wednesday are usually the best days to go in my experience. Get there before the gates open and you'll get on Goliath easily, otherwise expect 2+ hour wait most of the day. The upshot is that you can cycle Bull a bunch early in the day.

Question: How does the airtime on Goliath compare to Outlaw Run? I know there's not going to be as many airtime moments but how is the intensity of the forces?

I'd hope that the airtime is more prolonged on Goliath as it came in short but sweet bursts on Outlaw.

Outlaw Run still beats it out in just about every area in my books. In no one way is that saying Goliath is a bad ride (it's my 3rd favorite coaster I've ridden), it's just that Outlaw Run is that good. I do like the first drop of Goliath a tad more than OR's and the Zero-G stall is very strange but fantastic. I sort of got off your question, or maybe I was never on it... back to the airtime question. Goliath's airtime hill didn't seem to last that much longer than some of Outlaw Run's pops of air throughout the course. Maybe just a second longer. I really only got airtime on the first drop, exiting the first overbank turn, and the airtime hill. Still an incredible ride, but I prefer OR slightly more because it has a more out of control feeling.

That was my analysis after looking at the POV. the few elements Goliath does have look outstanding! But as far as a complete experience it appears lacking. I think once the initial shock of the extremeness goes away people will be less satisfied compared to the other RMC offerings.

My wife and I returned to visit SFGAm today with family. We used the coke promo to get ERT access on Goliath. We waited about 45 minutes to ride and were exceedingly impressed with the park officials and ride operators making sure that only members of the GP who qualified for ERT were allowed to wait in line.

Goliath is a fantastic coaster, as well as a magnificent addition to the park. As an experience, Goliath does a fantastic job of hitting you with a 1-2 punch with its elements and pacing. As a comparison to Outlaw Run, Goliath has a much smoother performance with the polyurethane wheels and is vastly more quiet and menacing in its appearance, but the wild factor still impresses me with Outlaw Run.

The park grew in attendance all day, and we continued to be impressed with the ride management staff. Because we were with children, we were able to experience many of the rides geared toward them.

As always, the park was clean, friendly and fun.

Agreed with everyone saying that Outlaw Run takes the cake - Goliath's dive loop was cool because it was in the structure and the zero-G stall was crazy awesome, but Outlaw Run blows it out of the water with the variety of elements and the way it floors it through each of them. Goliath dies out at the end and hangs over each drop and turn, but Outlaw Run doesn't let up until you're hanging upside down in that second roll.

Tuesday and Wednesday are usually the best days to go in my experience. Get there before the gates open and you'll get on Goliath easily, otherwise expect 2+ hour wait most of the day. The upshot is that you can cycle Bull a bunch early in the day.

I too plan to be at the park on Wednesday. I haven't been in about 6 years. What's the early entry deal for gold pass members? Is there a special line? Thnx.

I was looking to take a trip down to Great America to take a day off from my internship, and I just wanted to see if there was any news about the single rider line on Goliath, since I thought I had read that it wasn't being used at first. Was it up and running? And is the wait less time than the normal line?

I'm looking forward to taking my first spins on a Rocky Mountain coaster. Yeehaw!

I too plan to be at the park on Wednesday. I haven't been in about 6 years. What's the early entry deal for gold pass members? Is there a special line? Thnx.

The gold pass only gets you into Hurricane Harbor early, not the dry side of the park. There is no separate line for passholders to get into the park. There is a separate Discover Card member entrance if you have one.

I was looking to take a trip down to Great America to take a day off from my internship, and I just wanted to see if there was any news about the single rider line on Goliath, since I thought I had read that it wasn't being used at first. Was it up and running? And is the wait less time than the normal line?

I'm looking forward to taking my first spins on a Rocky Mountain coaster. Yeehaw!

From reading elsewhere, it doesn't sound like there truly is one. I know there was nothing signed for it when I was there and reports have varied since then. There were some reports that once you got to the point in the queue where the Flashpass gate is they were sending single riders up the stairs from there but you still have to wait in the full queue. Seems like more urban legend than fact that such a line even exists.

I'll probably head to the park with my friend on Wednesday. I haven't been on Goliath since it opened June 19th and I only got one ride on it. I'm expecting to only get on it once again, but hopefully the other lines will be shorter.

Does anyone here know how strict they are with height requirement checks? My sister is like 53.9" and when we went to Kings Island they wouldn't let her ride anything that was 54", but at Knott's they did.

Just depends if they check or not on the ride. Don't forget those height limits are set for safety reasons, even if .1 inches does not seem like much.

From reading elsewhere, it doesn't sound like there truly is one. I know there was nothing signed for it when I was there and reports have varied since then. There were some reports that once you got to the point in the queue where the Flashpass gate is they were sending single riders up the stairs from there but you still have to wait in the full queue. Seems like more urban legend than fact that such a line even exists.

And then today I find out they WERE handing out Single Rider passes, but they weren't being consistent about how they were handling them. One time through they send you up the Flashpass line. The next time you have to wait through the whole queue and then give your card to the grouper at the top of the stairs. I wish they would figure out what they want to do.

I rode Goliath 5 times back-to-back today using their single rider line. They handed me a pass each time at the entrance and it was collected by the grouper. My 6th time, I was instructed to wait through the overflow queue before receiving a single rider pass. This doesn't make sense... why am I waiting in half the line while watching trains go out empty? I thought single rider lines were there to maximize capacity. It's a confusing system, I wish they would just stick with using the Flash Pass entrance.

I obviously can't tell you what they are thinking, but it could be that other guests waiting in a line for an hour or two get upset when they see somebody riding 5 times back-to-back (even if that person riding 5 times back-to-back didn't make their line any longer). Even if it seems dumb to you, the park has to balance the enjoyment and fairness to all guests.

On a related note, it could be that they have a vested interest in not making it easy to keep riding, because they want you to buy a Flash Pass. They might not want to give anybody ideas.

Does the single rider line mean that they assign seats? Some parks just fill in the gaps and not allow you to choose.

How else would you go about filling in empty seats if you weren't told where to go?

That's why they should be on every ride. Every time I ride Millemum Force at Cedar Point they always have to delay the train just so they can get a single rider.

So for instance if I want to sit in the back, I have to wait in the normal line right?

You may get lucky in the "single rider line" and get the seat you want, but it's just wherever there's an empty seat at after they load all the other passengers on so you don't really get to choose.

Many times when I visited a park by my own lonesome and there is a ride that features a SINGLE RIDERS LINE, then I have this attitude of " I don't care where I sit or with whom I sit with because I don't have to wait that long in line to ride." As for coasterkid124's query - if you want to sit in the back, then yes you must wait in the normal line with everyone else. In the single rider's line, you sit where the ride attendant tells you to sit and act happier than a pickle in a salad bar.

To me, if the SINGLE RIDERS LINE is open, and knowing that this will be my first ever ride on a RMC, then I don't care where I sit because any seat is better than no seat on Goliath.

How do you like them pickles at a salad bar?