TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

What blind luck! My trip to Six Flags planned for June 19 and 20! Opening day Banshee opening day Goliath! Win! I am so ecstatic! I will go two days so a wait I can handle!

So you would prefer going on opening day and waiting in line for hours as opposed to going a couple weeks later and being able to ride several times with far less wait? I'm not trying to be rude and I know you didn't plan it this way. I'm just curious and I'm asking since it seemed to really excite you to be at Banshee's opening day. I know it's cool to be able to say you rode it on opening day, but it's just not for me. I'd rather wait out the hype and be able to enjoy multiple rides on the coaster with a less crowded park. If I can ride it on it's opening year, that's usually good enough to be special for me. That's just me, I guess.

To prozach626 : here is the deal. I work full time, my partner works full time. I have two small kids who my parents took out of town for the week. I love the experience of being with the crowd and being there opening day. It is a story and an experience. I don't mind waiting in line it is excitement and low stress. 10 years later I can say I was there opening day. Considering I am in Indianapolis, I don't have another chance to go to Great America... It is an awesome deal it will be open. To each there own.

Prozach626 : also I only planned to do opening day for Banshee and I has that planned since it was announced. KI is my home park and I took a ten year hiatus from coasters from 2002 to 2012. So it was my first opportunity and it was a lot of fun. I am glad I did it. I actually planned six flags trip thinking goliath would have opened in May.

To prozach626 : here is the deal. I work full time, my partner works full time. I have two small kids who my parents took out of town for the week. I love the experience of being with the crowd and being there opening day. It is a story and an experience. I don't mind waiting in line it is excitement and low stress. 10 years later I can say I was there opening day. Considering I am in Indianapolis, I don't have another chance to go to Great America... It is an awesome deal it will be open. To each there own.

You don't have to explain yourself, most people would LOVE to ride a coaster opening day if they had the chance. I'd love to be there to witness the excitement and the unveiling of sorts. Enjoy

This coaster looks insanely crazy and insanely great all around. Outlaw Run's first drop was very similar to Raging Bull's (the latter of which is my favorite first drop that I've experienced) in that you are just ripped out of your seat and float all the way down, so it'll be interesting to see how Goliath's compares. Most excited for that, the raven turn, and the airtime hill.

It's also interesting how my first dive loop will be on a wooden coaster.

This coaster looks insanely crazy and insanely great all around. Outlaw Run's first drop was very similar to Raging Bull's (the latter of which is my favorite first drop that I've experienced) in that you are just ripped out of your seat and float all the way down, so it'll be interesting to see how Goliath's compares. Most excited for that, the raven turn, and the airtime hill.

I'm going to need to experience it first (next Wednesday for Media Day) but NTaG has the best first drop I've ever experienced, and this comes from a guy whose favorite roller coaster is Outlaw Run. In all honesty a super steep drop doesn't necessarily make the best drop. At the Great Am my favorite drop is the first drop on the Eagle. However, I think Goliath will take the winners spot. I think the back seat will feel like the back seat on Xcelerator after you crest the top hat at Knotts, just absolute destruction on whatever part of your body happens to be touching the lap restraint.

Also, as far as the dive loop goes, look here. Now this just marketing material but the original graphic is not just a dive drop. It's very clearly a 180 degree roll (as they show) followed by an inverted drop. Typically the twist should smoothly transition into drop to make a dive drop but the original graphic shows it as two separate elements separated by a stall. From photos we've seen of the actual built installation it really is a dive drop, but I think it's interesting to discuss this.

Also, as far as the dive loop goes, look here. Now this just marketing material but the original graphic is not just a dive drop. It's very clearly a 180 degree roll (as they show) followed by an inverted drop. Typically the twist should smoothly transition into drop to make a dive drop but the original graphic shows it as two separate elements separated by a stall. From photos we've seen of the actual built installation it really is a dive drop, but I think it's interesting to discuss this.

For all intents and purposes, it's a dive loop.

RCDB lists the element on Full Throttle before the mid-course launch as a dive drop, but in all honesty it's just a morphed version of the snake dive on Storm Runner. I usually think of dive drops as those featured on wing coasters - the twist and the beginning of the drop start at the same heartline elevation.

I'm going to need to experience it first (next Wednesday for Media Day) but NTaG has the best first drop I've ever experienced, and this comes from a guy whose favorite roller coaster is Outlaw Run. In all honesty a super steep drop doesn't necessarily make the best drop. At the Great Am my favorite drop is the first drop on the Eagle. However, I think Goliath will take the winners spot. I think the back seat will feel like the back seat on Xcelerator after you crest the top hat at Knotts, just absolute destruction on whatever part of your body happens to be touching the lap restraint.

I disagree about it being different than the concept art which defines it as two seperate elements. Look at this photo from last week. It ascends wayyy up the hill before it starts to twist.

image.jpg.376299205922f92ba0f4c86878c94134.jpg

I disagree about it being different than the concept art which defines it as two seperate elements. Look at this photo from last week. It ascends wayyy up the hill before it starts to twist.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Oh my goodness, this definitely supports my point! The concept art shows it rolling over, sitting in a stall, then diving into the inversion. This image shows a much more fluid and definite dive drop. In all honesty it looks exactly like the B&M dive drops without the lift hills now, but the concept art shows it actually leveling out at the same height for some time.

It's humorous actually, you can see X-Flight's immelman in the background of this shot and it's very similar. Much different from the concept art I posted.

Understandably it does ascend way up the hill, as you said. The point was that in the concept art it sits there for the entire length of the station before starting the drop.

That's because of the point of view of the picture, but that dive loop is indeed divided in two distinct phases :

I would have liked it better more fluid as well (B&Mish), because it seems like it's the same feeling as the zero-g stall, making the latter less surprising as you've been "spoiled" by this one.

That's because of the point of view of the picture, but that dive loop is indeed divided in two distinct phases :

I would have liked it better more fluid as well (B&Mish), because it seems like it's the same feeling as the zero-g stall, making the latter less surprising as you've been "spoiled" by this one.

Yup! Good find! It definitely looks like two separate elements. I don't know, maybe the additional time inverted will actually be better. In a lot of B&M inversions it sometimes goes so quick you really don't get to relish in the fact that you're inverted. I think the way RMC did it here is going to be good.

If you look at

(2:46) you can see the dive loop is sort of similar. Maybe not quite the same time upside down but close.

Alright I'm back from the commercial shoot! Here are my thoughts.

Overall, it was a fairly well run shoot-obviously more periods of down time to position the real "talent" (paid models/actors that sat in the front two rows) and get the cameras ready, but I ended up getting 7 rides in between about 1:30 and 4:30. Most towards the back but one in row 3. Around 100-120 people there when I was there. The coaster was wonderful-definitely the best in the park in my opinion, but I think we all expected that. I've only been to SFGAm and Cedar Point, so I can't compare to Outlaw Run, New Texas Giant, etc. The view from the lift hill is fantastic as well-can really see most of the park.

I'll be interested to see how they run it operationally when it opens. Hopefully it has two trains. During the shoot, they had two people checking lap bars/seat belts-one on each side. When you got in, you only buckled yourself-didn't touch the lap bar. They'd go down front to back checking seat belts, then you can pull down your lap bar, then they went all the way back to the front and went along the train again checking lap bars. I think this was because you had to buckle yourself in before putting the lap bar down?

I'll rank the elements by how much I liked them-but they were all great, it's unfair to say one is the "worst":

1. Zero-G Stall: It seemed like this was the consensus favorite part of the ride by all of the riders. You really feel like you are floating, and it feels like you are upside down forever. It feels like the only thing holding you in is the lap bar. This seemed like a totally unique element.

2. First Drop: You definitely are pulled out of your seat, great drop.

3. Airtime Hill: Does what it says on the box-gives (LOTS) of airtime.

4. Dive Drop: This was great-the entrance to the dive drop felt just like the zero-g stall, so I can see why they labeled it as two different elements on the marketing description. You get a sensation of being left to hang for a little bit.

5. Twist & Shout: You get a good pop of airtime going into it and coming out of it

6. Overbank Turn: Just like the Twist & Shout, you get some airtime headed into it and a lot on the drop down to the airtime hill.

7. "Break Run Hill": Maybe this isn't technically an element, but you get one good last pop of airtime before the break run-which is pretty smooth.

Overall, the ride is real smooth, but with some hints of it being a wooden coaster. I know there was some discussion earlier about the "moments of airtime" you get-by my count, there would be 9. Let me know if I missed anything-I'm about to head to dinner but will come back if anybody has more specific questions about it. I had a ton of fun on it!

For those that rode Goliath during the commercial shoot how is the seat belts/restraints? Are they accommodating? Can a bigger person ride if they could get on every other ride at the park?

I imagine so, but I wouldn't want to make any promises. If the cars are similar to Outlaw Run, someone who has ridden that may be able to answer better than I. There are "shin restraints/pads", which may seem a bit uncomfortable at first, but you don't notice them at all on the ride.

^Also, the website still says June 19. I heard they were running one train at the shoot, because the other is not ready, and one train on a opening day would become a disaster.

On top of that, the weather looks terrible for the Media Day and for the first day of operation. Goliath will not be open until after the weekend.

^Also, the website still says June 19. I heard they were running one train at the shoot, because the other is not ready, and one train on a opening day would become a disaster.

On top of that, the weather looks terrible for the Media Day and for the first day of operation. Goliath will not be open until after the weekend.

I honestly don't think a little bad weather will stop them. Unless there is lightning threats, the ride will probably open on time.

*EDIT* Apparently there are scattered thunderstorms forecasted for Wednesday. Half the time the weather reports are wrong, and I couldn't imagine there would be storms over the whole area for the entire event, so I think we should be good.

Edited by glouthan

I honestly don't think a little bad weather will stop them. Unless there is lightning threats, the ride will probably open on time.

It's all thunderstorms in the forecast until Sunday evening.

I'm just trying to kill all expectations I have for riding this thing. I have this feeling that I will not be riding Goliath for quite a long time no matter how hard I try so it's better just to get used to it. It makes it easier in the end when I'm actually let down.

Edited by EricGarbo