TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Quassy Amusement Park Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I could easily see something like this ending up at a park strapped for space like Belmont Park. I can't wait to go back and try this ride out and get some more laps on Wooden Warrior.

I wonder how popular this ride will be with the younger clientele that seem to visit the park.

• 2 months later...

Quassy Amusement & Waterpark has sent us a press release about their upcoming 107th season.

It’s been anything but quiet at Quassy Amusement & Waterpark after the lakeside property closed out its 2014 season last October.

Park personnel have been busy preparing two new rides and other updates for Quassy’s April 25 opening, which also marks the 107th year for the family-owned park.

“We’re excited to be able to debut two new attractions for 2015,” said George Frantzis II, whose grandfather purchased the facility in 1937. “In recent years we have reinvested a great deal into the park, including our Wooden Warrior roller coaster and updates at Splash Away Bay waterpark. This year the emphasis is - again - on the amusement park side of our business.”

Making its debut on opening day will be FRANTIC, a spectacular family thrill ride.

“It’s a bit on the wild side,” quipped Quassy President Eric Anderson, who took a spin on the high-flying attraction. “We’ve never had a ride like this – one that flips riders upside down.”

Frantzis and Anderson, who oversee daily operations of the park, researched suppliers worldwide before selecting Visa International of Italy as the vendor for this unique ride.

“There’s nothing else like it in New England,” Anderson added.

FRANTIC accommodates eight riders in a circular configuration with the seats suspended on a huge pendulum. The seats spin as the ride swings higher and higher before doing a series of 360-degree flips. The topsy-turvy attraction is located near the Grand Carousel.

In addition, a new Kiddie Bumper Cars ride, also supplied by Visa International, has been installed adjacent to the Little Dipper roller coaster.

“There was a real call for this smaller version with our family demographic,” noted Frantzis. “We have operated full-sized bumper cars for years and this will fill a much defined void.”

Quassy will feature its traditional carload weekend special April 25 and 26, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting The Greater Waterbury Campership Fund. The $40 price includes all-day ride wristbands from noon to 6 p.m. for up to 10 persons in a vehicle. The parking fee is included.

Weekend Of Entertainment

A park tradition, opening weekend will feature a variety of entertainment and fun for all ages.

Peter Rabbit will meet and greet youngsters both afternoons as Quassy kicks off its 2015 Ready To Read This Summer program. The 1, 3 and 5 p.m. greeting sessions will be held near the Grand Carousel.

Quassy’s Annual Egg Hunt For Prizes will be held at 3 p.m., Sunday, April 26. Children participating in the event are reminded to bring their own collection article - such as a basket or bag - for the hunt.

Stage entertainment at the Carousel Theatre will also be a highlight with a “One Heart” benefit concert both days featuring regional Christian artists. Performing groups will include: Spirit Song, Healing Rain Dance Ministry, Kingdom Warriors, Jingles the Clown. Redeemed, Blameless Project, Living Proof, and City Kidz Outreach.

Food Drive As Well

As part of the “One Heart” initiative, canned food donations to support Connect Food Bank will be accepted at the stage. If a patron donates five canned items, the guest will receive a Quassy Summer Nights voucher valid for an evening ride pass.

The park’s traditional amusement rides, including the award-winning Wooden Warrior roller coaster, operate noon to 6 p.m. on opening weekends. The carload special continues the weekend of May 2 and 3. Splash Away Bay waterpark and Quassy Beach both open on Saturday, May 23, for the summer season. The park will be open daily starting June 5.

Updates At The Park

Numerous other updates have taken place at the park during the off-season.

The Quassy Express train ride now has a covered station over the loading platform. The new structure is reminiscent of Quassy’s “trolley park” heritage as the park was owned and operated by an electrified rail line in its early days.

Cabana and lounge chair rentals will be a new feature at Splash Away Bay waterpark and Quassy Beach. Online reservations will be available for the added waterfront feature.

Last year the park introduced a new swipe card system in the redemption arcade, allowing guests to use rechargeable plastic cards to participate in their favorite games. The cards, sold at kiosks in the arcade building, will continue to be used this year with the park planning on rolling out new uses for them in the near future.

The park has also initiated an online birthday party reservations system, providing seamless booking for the special occasion. A variety of party options are offered with packages including rides, waterpark and food. The birthday party page is found under the Group Info tab at www.quassy.com.

Quassy has also installed a Wi-Fi system, offering free service for guests.

Coastermania

In 2011 Quassy introduced its new marquee attraction, the Wooden Warrior roller coaster. Since opening in April of that year the ride has received worldwide acclaim from roller coaster and theme park enthusiasts alike.

Wooden Warrior was named Attraction of the Year (2011) in a ballot by Behind the Thrills, a theme park enthusiasts’ Web site. The coaster was also voted “Third Best New Ride” worldwide in the 2011 Golden Ticket awards, presented by industry publication Amusement Today.

The ride is currently rated 28th best wooden coaster in the world, according to Amusement Today’s 2014 Golden Ticket balloting.

Quassy hosts special roller coaster events each year with some groups visiting from as far away as Europe just to experience the unique attraction.

The 1,250-foot ride was designed by The Gravity Group of Cincinnati, Ohio, and is the first “junior coaster” in the firm’s portfolio. In addition, Quassy selected The Gravity Group’s sister firm, Gravitykraft, to provide its state-of-the-art Timberliner train for the ride. Wooden Warrior was the first new coaster in the United States to feature the sleek train.

Rides And More

Quassy Amusement & Waterpark features more than two-dozen rides and attractions.

Popular rides in the park include the Music Fest, Free Fall ‘N drop tower, Paratrooper and Grand Carousel. Two Kiddieland areas cater to the tots with a variety of children’s rides.

In the heart of the park is the Carousel Theatre stage with daily entertainment during the height of the season. Popular events at the stage include dance and karate days, an annual school music festival and a regional Irish dance competition.

Quassy also has a huge redemption arcade, restaurant, games, paddle boat rentals and excursions on Lake Quassapaug aboard the Quassy Queen.

Educational Programs

Numerous educational programs are underwritten and presented by the park each year. Students can explore the workings of the amusement rides with the “Fun With Physics” booklet, accredited by the American Association of Physics Teachers. It contains more than 30 pages of activities that can be completed during a visit to Quassy.

Behind-the-scenes tours, photography workshops, Art In The Park and News Team Quassy video productions are among the other educational offerings.

Quassy is also the location of choice for birthday parties, catered company outings, family reunions, church picnics, sports team and league banquets and team building events. Catered group outings are held in the privacy of the park’s pavilions or patio area overlooking the lake.

Specials With Families In Mind

Being family-affordable has always been a goal of the locally-owned park. All-day ride and Splash Away Bay passes are $22.50 for those under 45 inches tall and $26.50 for 45 inches and taller. Individual ride tickets are also available.

The best value at Quassy is a family of four season pass for only $275. Included are the rides, Splash Away Bay waterpark, Quassy Beach and free parking ($7; $8 July 4) with each visit. Individual season passes are $79.99 each. Quassy season pass holders are also entitled to a number of “season pass perks” during the summer.

Friday evenings starting May 22 feature 50-cent rides, hot dogs and small Pepsi. “50-Cent Fabulous Fridays” will continue through Sept. 4.

The $40 Saturday night carload special starts May 23 and continues through Sept. 5. For only $40 up to 10 persons in a vehicle receive an evening (after 5 p.m.) wristband, parking included.

Quassy is located at 2132 Middlebury Road in Middlebury, Conn. For more information about Quassy Amusement Park visit www.quassy.com or call 1-800-FOR-PARK.

• 4 weeks later...
Every small park, beachfront park with no room (which is most of them) needs this ride. You can charge top dollar for it and it looks like it'll fit basically anywhere.

Even in my back yard!

Definitely worth checking out, I would do Quassy then LC in one day. I have only been to Quassy twice, the second visit was for my school's graduation and I got 23 rides on Wooden Warrior with dubstep, heat lightning, and rain. It was insane

Here is a video of Quassy's new ride! I think the cycle needs to be shortened a little! 25+ inversions is a little too much!

Oh my...definitely way too many spins for me. I agree with the other poster that six one way and six the other would be more than enough.

I wonder if they will ever do something like this with the giant frisbees? Now that would be insane!

^ Visa makes a much larger version of Quassy's ride. There's only one installation, at Silverwood. It's not quite as tall as Huss' Giant Frisbee, but close.

I'm going to stop by this weekend to checkout the new ride and get a few laps in on WW. Good to see 50c Friday's are back starting May 22, I'll be hitting up a couple of those too.