TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Quassy Amusement Park Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

^ I'm very interested in the Timberliners. I think they will ride smoothly, but the restraints look a lot like X-Car restraints, which I haven't heard very good things about.

Well, now we just have to wait for the first reports to come back!

Evil Cuteness... Nuff Said!

No it looks like a really good ride, made better than the Timberliners, though I am not sure GG are making false claims about the trains steering round the tracks... it is like MS saying the X Car is comfortable, it is comfortable, but then it suffocates you...

Is it just me, or does that commercial sound like something out of the 80's? At least they actually marketed it as a family coaster. (Did you hear that, Alton Towers!?)

The actual ride experience seems to be like a "wood Revenge of the Mummy." It looks to be an overall gentle ride, but packs in quite a few small pops of airtime.

It really looks like a decent ride! I've always liked junior wooden coasters a bit more than I like junior steel coasters because they are a bit more rare. I mean, Vekoma roller skaters and Tivoli coasters are good, but they are EVERYWHERE. This is the first brand new junior wooden coaster that's been built in quite a while it seems. Really hoping I get a chance to ride it and visit this park for the first time...if anything going to Connecticut gives me an excuse to visit Lake Compounce!

Well I got up today and headed out with my bud to Quassy for the first time today ACE's Wooden Warrior Day. We got there and went straight to ERT on Wooden Warrior. It didn't look particularly impressive, and I didn't expect much from the ride. I was mostly interested in trying out the trains. Anyways, after waiting a train or two I took my first ride on the coaster. I was overall very impressed by the coaster, but I will get to that later. We went back for more rides throughout ERT, but the line was getting longer and longer, to the point where we were waiting more than 15-20 mins for each ride. But each time, it was more worth it than the last. The ride really began picking up the pace, and got better throughout the ERT and kept on getting better throughout the day. What was disappointing was that as ERT ended and the park opened to the public, that we realized the ERT was basically useless, because the line was next to nothing for the entire day. We were able to get over 25 rides on the ride in the front back and middle. Mid day it literally out of nowhere poured rain for like a minute before we rode, making the ride run even MORE out of controll.

Now to the ride..

The trains were REALLY nice. I was impressed by how well they tracked, how comfortable but unrestrictive the harnesses were and seats. It was very open. They were well designed for lats, airtime, and forces. They didnt run as glassy as a Millenium flyer, but they just tracked so well, and are perfect for small rides, and would be even better on large rides. Unfortunately though, there was only one of them on Wooden Warrior.

The coaster was OUTSTANDING for its size. It had a fast lift, the first turn even had some nice lats, then the first drop was simply out of controll in the back rows, with ejector airtime coming right out of the lats (strangely similar to el toro). It felt very steep, and even gave my stomach a drop on the first few near the back, and even middle, rides. Its even a good drop in the front. Then you blast into the next hill full speed and get a very fun pop of ejector, then swiftly curve into a unusually long floater hill, as it dives down further than it goes up due to the terrain. Then the transition hill right after has lats on the way in, a solid moment of semi ejector, and then you blast into the blackness of the tunnel with lats in the other direction, and lots of g-force. The tunnel definitely adds to that turn. The hill on the way out is the last full hill, and has good airtime once again, and then there is the double up. In the front this has some really nice air, and in back.. well.. it still has pretty good air. Surprisingly. Its just another moment of airtime. Then still with a considerable amount of speed left to spare, it hits a small lat filled hill/turn thing that has nice lats, then a nice pop of ejector on the first of the two next hills, following with a pleasant floater pop, leading down into one last turn that doesn't disappoint pacing and force wise. In general, a wide variety of forces, turns, and hills. Great great ride. The Timberliners help make it even more fun. Definitely a top 25 coaster. If your heading to Lake Compounce, it is worth stopping at Quassy for this ride.

Now for some crappy ipod pics for whoever cares.

• 2 months later...

I was just at Quassy and really enjoyed Wooden Warrior. Despite looking like a rather tame junior wooden coaster, Wooden Warrior was surprisingly intense for its size. I got 6 rides (2 in the front, 1 in the 2nd row, and 3 in the back). First off, the Timberliners are incredibly comfortable. Not only were the seats themselves comfortable, but the lap bar fit riders extremely well and wasn't overly tight. As for the ride, I was blown away. In the front, each and every hill had some great floater air. But I liked the back more since there were 3-4 incredible drops that gave a major jolt of ejector air, and this was highlighted by the ride's outstanding first drop. Overall Quassy has a real winner and Wooden Warrior is definitely one or the best wooden coasters I've been on.

• 2 weeks later...

Quassy has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming feature on Ripley Radio!

A century ago there were more than 1,000 “trolley parks” operating in the United States. These great amusement centers – many of them at the end of a city’s electrified trolley line - have dwindled throughout the years to only a handful. “Believe It Or Not!”

Ripley Radio, of the world-famous Ripley’s Believe It Or Not!, will air a segment on the history of “trolley parks” the week of June 20 with Ron Gustafson, director of marketing at 103-year-old Quassy Amusement Park, Middlebury, Conn., as a featured guest on the show.

During the broadcast, Gustafson will chat with the Ripley hosts about the wonderful slice of Americana still existing at the remaining “trolley parks” and how the old has successfully mixed with the new.

“Ron’s interview will also tell us why these remaining gems are loved by all who attend,” said Tim O’Brien, executive producer for Ripley Radio. An industry author and long-time historian, Gustafson has hundreds of published articles and two books to his credit in his more than 35 years in the amusement industry. His current duties include all aspects of marketing and public relations for Quassy, which opened in 1908 as a “trolley park” on Lake Quassapaug in northwestern Connecticut. In 2003, Gustafson’s history of the 20-acre property was published by Midway Publications of Nashua, N.H. His other book, “Midway Park, A Century Of Fun,” was published in1998 and relates to the history of another “trolley park, Midway State Park in Maple Springs, N.Y.

To listen to the Ripley Radio show, simply logon to http://www.ripleyoddcast.com the week of June 20.

Other guests on the broadcast will include:

• Former aerospace engineer Jim Seay. He will explain why people of all ilk the world over love to be scared to death on roller coasters. He should know – he’s the creator of the world’s scariest coasters.
  • The Lizardman will be visiting Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Times Square Odditorium (New York) this month and will unveil a remarkable wax figure of himself, and then hang around a few days entertaining and meeting Ripley’s guests. The Odditorium’s manager Michael Hirsh outlines the other exciting sideshow acts lined up for the summer.
  • Chad Netherland of Ripley’s Aquarium of Myrtle Beach, S.C., reports that the aquarium will become the first major U.S. aquarium to feature live mermaid shows on a daily basis throughout the summer!
  • Edward Meyer lists the articles found in a lake that lies below a major European roller coaster, including false teeth and glass eyes!
  • Ronald McDonald stops by for another visit and tells us that he has been a fan of Ripley’s for years and then gives us his impersonation of Jack Palance’s rendition of “Believe It or Not!”
  • Intern Abby reports on the Happify app.
  • Ralf explains why Texas is trying to make noodling (catching catfish by hand) legal.

About The Show

Ripley Radio is a journey through the weird, wacky, whimsical, wild, and totally unbelievable world of the odd, strange and unusual. Each show provides listeners with amazing and absolutely true tales of today, as well as unbelievable facts culled from the extensive archives of the company that has been freaking out families for more than 90 years! The weekly broadcast is an unpredictable and fun-filled show that proves beyond all dimensions that Ripley’s is indeed, the global authority on the weird, strange, bizarre and the unbelievable! For detailed information on each show, the hosts and a look at the extensive archives, please visit the Ripley Radio Web site. Ripley Radio – An On-Demand Oddcast is also on Facebook. Drop by and “Like” us!

Ripley Radio is owned by Ripley Entertainment Inc., keepers of the venerable Ripley’s Believe It or Not! brand and is a global leader in location-based entertainment. More than 12 million guests visit its 80-plus world-wide attractions annually. The Orlando-based company also has divisions that oversee publishing, licensing and broadcast operations. Ripley Entertainment is a Jim Pattison Company, the third-largest privately held company in Canada.

About Quassy Amusement Park

In its 103rd year of operation, Quassy Amusement Park features the new “Wooden Warrior” roller coaster and more than two-dozen other rides and attractions. In addition, the park has a beach, “Saturation Station” waterpark, restaurant, redemption arcade, games and entertainment. For more information, visit http://www.quassy.com or call 1-800-FOR-PARK.

Edited by jedimaster1227