TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

I just got tix to see Deerhunter for my third time at a cozy little venue near my house the week of my birthday, first week of December.

Any fans here?

YES!! I love Deerhunter, Microcastle is easily one of my favorite albums ever. So jealous! Both Brooklyn shows sold out before I could get tickets! Have fun, sounds like an awesome way to celebrate your birthday.

And happy belated birthday to Neil Young! As for Adele, I have a feeling this album will be much more upbeat than 21, so I'm looking forward to it. Rolling Stone did a (surprisingly) great interview with her about it, there are some really promising collaborators on this project!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to talk about Lana Del Rey, maybe you've heard her before (maybe her Born To Die album, which was a big hit on the web, or her terrible SNL performace, etc.), I don't know how much airplay or recognition is getting worldwide now.

Obviously I started listening to her popular songs of the Born To Die, and thought her music was depressive. But last year I listened to her other works and now I consider myself as a fan.

Her lyrics talk about broken relationships, drugs, sex, and the American Dream. Yes, most of her music is sad, but I don't find it depressive at all. Well, her lyrics are not the best influence for all the teenagers that listen to her music, but people don't understand that Lana Del Rey is just a character and her music is not "real", just pure imagination.

The music itself it's beautiful, wether it's trip-hop, dream pop, alternative rock alike, jazzy, etc. Everything is "soundtrack-ish" filled with melodrama. Once you understand her style and music, it's not easy to et out of it.

Seriously if you only have heard Born To Die songs, I recommend the Ultraviolence or Honeymoon albums

Ultraviolence is filled with rock elements along with Lana's signature orchestra, and Honeymoon is a more "organic" dream pop album with elements of other genres. These album had a pretty good critical reception, too.

I recommend these two albums for anyone who's looking for some new music with meaning, drama (Ultraviolence), or beautifully made music.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ae8d4f143d0ff797d576694e9bb7a9de.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Blink-182 made a new song AND are touring with A Day to Remember and alternating All Time Low and All American Rejects for support!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I host a progressive rock show at WMSC, it's called the ProgPower Station. Check out the main page here (or don't...because free will is a thing).

Here's this week's episode, where I play some new stuff as well as predict the Apocalypse and cast a Hex on Daniel Murphy:

https://soundcloud.com/theprogpowerstation/episode-34-7252016

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really really into Autolux this year, almost listening to them exclusively (with generous sips of Kanye on occasion for good measure - yes I love his music).

Ive been a big fan of Autolux since their debut Future Perfect in 2004 and they are the polar opposite of prolific but I am particularly in love with their newest Pussy's Dead. Its hard to classify them but they kinda straddle the fence between rock and electronic/experimental with a killer rhythm section. They are an amazing live band, I've seen them a bunch and as recently as this past April. They also make some weird music videos. Check em out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADVgpRl7jo

Watching the final performance of this epic Canadian band,

The Tragically Hip on CBC television, and it's - IN - SANE!

Now in the middle of a total thunder and lightning storm inside the arena,

while the guys "take a break" LOL!

Loving this. Ooo they're back!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...