TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

I personally think Outlaw Run looks like a much better coaster. Outlaw's layout seems to flow a lot better, mostly because I think it's stupid to have two over-banked turns in a row both going the same way. Outlaw Run has a higher drop (but only by two feet), even though they're both tied for the angle of the drop. Outlaw Run goes upside-down three times, I-Rat goes upside-down once.

I have rode Outlaw Run, so of course I'll need to ride I-Rat to really see which one is better. And I'm not saying I-Rat looks bad, it just doesn't look as thrilling as Outlaw Run was. Just my two cents.

Now, I'm not knocking Outlaw Run, heck, I live 5 minutes from the park and haven't gone yet, but you obviously haven't ridden the Texas Giant. All of the Texas Giant's first half turns are to the left, and I've been on few coasters that are more thrilling. I also want to point out, as several have before me, that your statements in this thread about IR are errant. Iron Rattler is, in fact, taller than OR. I think it also bears stating that Outlaw Run has a 162 ft drop, not a 162 ft lift...it makes use of the ravine. Iron Rattler has both a 171 ft lift and drop.

I also would point out here that OR is not comparable to IR in any terms of size, height or speed because of the "Hybrid" issue. OR has a secure place as one of the best WOODEN roller coasters ever created. IR will most definitely hold that same distinction, AS A HYBRID!

Based on the sound of the train on the track I have to ask, does this thing have steel wheels? It's got a rumble to it! NTAGs urethane wheels make for a very silent and smooth ride. If IRat has steel I'll be thrilled! I love the rumble and roar and shaking of a coaster train on steel wheels! That's one thing I appreciate about outlaw run.

Based on the sound of the train on the track I have to ask, does this thing have steel wheels? It's got a rumble to it! NTAGs urethane wheels make for a very silent and smooth ride. If IRat has steel I'll be thrilled! I love the rumble and roar and shaking of a coaster train on steel wheels! That's one thing I appreciate about outlaw run.

This was also the case with NTAG. If you watch early test run footage of NTAG (the tests where they ran two cars), the ride sounds very much like IRat does, with that signature roaring sound. This could've been caused by the hardness of the polyurethane wheels causing the hollow track beams to vibrate, making that sound. If you look at pictures of the debuting of the NTAG trains and the IRat trains, they both have wheels with a thin white layer of polyurethane, which they used for testing on the rides. But right before NTAG opened, they switched to a softer polyurethane type of wheel, making the ride a whole lot quieter. You can tell by looking at pictures of NTAG before and after it opened; before it opened, the polyurethane layer on the wheels was white and thinner, and then after it opened the polyurethane layer was black and thicker. Maybe they'll do this for IRat before it opens to dampen the roaring sound. But in the end, I really don't care how loud it is. I just want to ride it!!!

Well I can say this, the thicker the urethane the slower the pacing. Softer wheels create more resistance, so hopefully these test run speeds we are seeing right now wont change too much by the time it opens. It looks perfect as is! Very exciting!

How was it declared safe with all that swaying!?

It's kind of a good thing when a woodie sways because it means its absorbing shock, but NOT like the original Rattler did. It just looked unstable. The ride slammed against the exit ramp for goodness sake. It needed some extra supporting or something. No wonder the ride deteriorated so fast...

I was at the park for a while after opening this morning hoping to get some test runs with the camera but workers were on most of the layout. Welding on the 2nd over bank turn/dive and a maintenance ladder for the first drop. I can't wait till it opens. Looks impressive from inside the park.

It's kind of a good thing when a woodie sways because it means its absorbing shock, but NOT like the original Rattler did. It just looked unstable. The ride slammed against the exit ramp for goodness sake. It needed some extra supporting or something. No wonder the ride deteriorated so fast...

I also remember from the late 90s that the first drop used to sway alot before the long supports were added. And have always wondered how that horse shoe turn was always declared safe even though I know woodies are supposed to sway but not that much.

Part of that second drop that swayed a ton in that video had support cables that held it in place. During that video most of the support cables had been removed from the ride to get replaced. I remember seeing it sway a ton like in that video before when the support cables were out. When the cables were in place, it didn't sway nearly that much. Why Six Flags operated the ride without the support cables, I cannot fathom. Seemed kind of dangerous to me.

Ok.....it NEVER slammed against the exit ramp. There's was several feet of clearance between the ride and the actual station house/exit ramp. The Rattler never had that much force and speed coming out of that tunnel to cause it to slam into the exit ramp.

Sorry, but I have to call BULL SH1T on your post.

Ok.....it NEVER slammed against the exit ramp. There's was several feet of clearance between the ride and the actual station house/exit ramp. The Rattler never had that much force and speed coming out of that tunnel to cause it to slam into the exit ramp.

Umm... Maybe you should watch the video... It clearly knocks into the ramp wall- pretty hard too.

The coaster didn't always sway like in the video, but did slam into the station house like that regularly. Actually, when the brakes would press down on the coaster cars, a lot of the energy from slowing the train in the station would go into making the station actually flex a bit if you were at the top of it.

At Kings Dominion, Grizzly's structure shifts a bit when the train comes out of the "Shed of Death" and makes the turn, but nothing compared to Rattler in that video.

I also want to caution some members about their manners when they post. It's OK to disagree, but let's not get out of hand. Thank you.

Your post there is a tad bit aggressive. And it would appear to be inaccurate as well.

Not sure what got you so worked up there, but please refrain from making posts like this in the future.

Edited by ernierocker

Just watched it and that is crazy!

That one shot that is repeated several times of the train coming out of a turn and going up a straight hill made me nervous. It swayed so much you can actually see it affect the train and the riders........ wow!

I'm just gonna say it..... total death trap!