TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I will be at the park on the 31st. My last trip to SFNE was fantastic, but I could help but feel like the park needed one more heavy-hitter. It sounds like WC is exactly what the park needed. I hope this ride sets off a RMC steel coaster craze. Right now they are batting 1000, something not even B&M could say.

It is a craze. I think Schilke or Grub said that they are taking orders for 2018 now.

11009355_10206163844482713_8842179182431319747_o.jpg

Love this shot! Would be really cool to see it photoshopped with trains going through each zero g.

The ride looks incredible, maybe next summer I'll have to do a New England trip!

The ride is fantastic! Truly a unique experience for the northeast. Only downside they are assigning seats, and it appears this will be standard operating procedure . Line for passholder preview is only 20-30 min. They're having some issues with restraints staying stuck closed after unlocking. Full TR later.

Very excited to see all the rave reviews for WC, I can't wait to get up there and ride it. Quick question though:

I also forgot to mention that they are going to be slowly swapping the steel wheels with nylon and urethane wheels so eventually it will be faster/quieter.

Quieter yes, but I was very nearly certain steel wheels are faster...?

Locals/frequent goers. What would the park be like on a Sunday, and of course taking into account the new coaster?

Some people are going then but I'd rather do a Friday. I believe school is still in session?

Confused because I thought they couldn't use steel wheels on the i-box track.

Medusa runs on steel wheels, and it absolutely rips through the course. As opposed to, for instance. Goliath, which runs on poly and has clearly lost a lot of speed by its final turn.

Medusa runs on steel wheels, and it absolutely rips through the course. As opposed to, for instance. Goliath, which runs on poly and has clearly lost a lot of speed by its final turn.

There's an interview with Alan Schilke from IAAPA last year and he said i-box cannot use steel wheels. I'd link the interview but not sure I can because of who it's posted by.

Kind of weird that Cyclone would stop using steel wheels if the ride is getting rave reviews.

Medusa uses nylon wheels.

Medusa uses nylon wheels.

We need some definitive links here, I've read on multiple sites (including people who've ridden it) it runs on steel.

Anyway the point remains, I imagine switching wheels will probably make the last half of the ride slightly slower. Probably will make very little difference, all the same I kind of hope it doesn't happen.

We need some definitive links here, I've read on multiple sites (including people who've ridden it) it runs on steel.

As Superbatboy wrote, the I-box track can't run with steel wheels, only Topper track can.

m.thumb.jpg.be81f10e3f9c9944afa5c367d8694147.jpg

Edited by _koppen

^ Just watch the photo above and you can see that it's not steel.

A quote from Robb:

The ride is just relentless! And oddly enough, with they nylon wheels on the train, it *feels* a lot more like a wood coaster than the RMC conversion projects in Texas do. I know it's consider a steel coaster (as it should be), but it has a different feel to it, and I like that.

I guess that we better start saving our money for our visit in July as I see that the Platinum Flash Passes are going for $90.

I remember the lines being horrendously long when we last visited SFNE (and that was during the week) so I guess that I would rather shell out the dough than have to wait in what are most likely going to be a seriously long lines for WC & Bizarro.

Does anyone know if the Platinum FP is good for unlimited rides on WC? I assume so as it is listed as one of the included rides, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't like Great America where the Flash Pass was only good for one ride on Goliath.

^ Just watch the photo above and you can see that it's not steel.

A quote from Robb:

The ride is just relentless! And oddly enough, with they nylon wheels on the train, it *feels* a lot more like a wood coaster than the RMC conversion projects in Texas do. I know it's consider a steel coaster (as it should be), but it has a different feel to it, and I like that.

Could it be because RMC trains don't have steering bogies like other steel coaster manufacturers have? Maybe because even though they're trailored and have a suspension system, the stiffness of the wheels cause a slight amount of hunting (similar to Millennium Flyers).

^This whole discussion is amusing me greatly.

All I gotta say is, I hope it's running as good in September or whenever I get to ride it as it is now.

I'm sure it'll be even better than it is now because of the heat and breaking in. I plan to ride late August or so, can't wait

^This whole discussion is amusing me greatly.

All I gotta say is, I hope it's running as good in September or whenever I get to ride it as it is now.

in case you thought that was a stupid statement about all three types of wheels on wicked cyclone, it's on video for all to see.

Does anyone know if the Platinum FP is good for unlimited rides on WC? I assume so as it is listed as one of the included rides, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't like Great America where the Flash Pass was only good for one ride on Goliath.
They were allowing unlimited FP access today. One guy marathoned it all day long thru flashpass, we'd see him go buy us two or three times for each of our rides. One of my group sat next to him around 6pm and he mentioned he was on ride 25. Now, this was a gold pass preview day, so no guarantee this will be the policy for standard public operation, but I strongly suspect it will be.

There were a ton of school groups today and I actually felt kind of bad for the kids who got to see WC run all day with screaming riders but got denied whenever they tried to get in line. They needed a staff of 3-5 security at two stations to keep non-pass holders out of the line. I saw at least ten people try to sneak in but they all got caught.

Was thrilled to see waits under a 1/2h all the way up to 2pm, so decided to head over for a "quick ride" on Bizarro. Ugh, one train running, slow ops, line cutters all over, and a wait pushing 100min for front or back of train. When we ended up back at WC around 4:45 the wait was about 75min.

Part of the themeing has a "weather forecast" on the "news" announcing the "wicked cyclone" coming. It was pretty cool because the last names of the anchors, meteorologists, etc were nods to people involved with the original or rethought rides: Cobb, Schilke. There were other names but I didn't recognize them. The other impressive themeing element is the plane crashing into the station - it's a real plane!

The 1ockers are set up horribly, and one of the two booths was not even working. That made for a real cluster. My only other beef is the assigned seating for the ride. I guess I'm just too sensitive to this, but it really does irk me. I ended up with one ride in row 2 and four rides in rows 8-10. Of course the ride was absolutely phenomenal from anywhere, but there was some definite disappointment in not getting a chance at front row or back car.

The course itself is just indescribably blissful. Due to always riding hands up all the way, my first couple laps I kept smacking my ride partner right in the noggin, haha. There are just so many quick snappy turns that catch you totally off guard until you really get to know the course. Love coasters that trick me. The inversions are more pleasurable than any other I've experienced, short of pretzel loops. The airtime is not quite as dramatic as I was anticipating, but on a ride this good, it doesn't NEED to be the main point of focus. The twists and rolls are so much fun that it took me a couple rides before airtime was even on my mind.

The park has a winner. They just need to let people pick their own &$#% seats for the whole experience to shine to its full potential.