TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New iPods

Sticky Nicky

Apple introduces new iPod Nano

Available in nine vibrant colors, the new fourth generation iPod nano — the thinnest iPod ever — features a sleek new design with a curved aluminum and glass enclosure. It also incorporates Genius technology and features a built-in accelerometer that automatically switches to Cover Flow when rotated and automatically goes into Shuffle mode when lightly shaken. iPod nano (4th generation) comes in 8GB and 16GB models, starting at just $149.

Apple introduces new iPod Touch

Perfect for music, movies, and games, the new iPod touch features an amazingly thin contoured metal design, a gorgeous 3.5-inch widescreen glass display, 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi wireless networking, integrated volume control buttons, a built-in speaker for casual listening, a built-in accelerometer and other advanced sensors, and Apple’s revolutionary Multi-Touch interface. Available now in 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB models, iPod touch starts at just $229.

They also announced a new 120 GB classic model for $250, iTunes 8 with Genius, HD TV shows, and the announcement that NBC is returning to the iTunes store.

www.apple.com

www.apple.com/ipodnano

www.apple.com/ipodtouch

www.apple.com/ipodclassic

www.apple.com/itunes

755003072_touchsmall.jpg.f39ad53b5bc438769743a92617503519.jpg

New iPod Touch

touch.jpg.53ab4d26cd4a3eaf8fa8e782f14cc26a.jpg

New iPod Touch

671171122_nanosmal.jpg.2575b5c0cf0c462ba421ad5a46e5679f.jpg

Nano-Chromatic

nano.jpg.5af1daad88cc230e313784400d272c7c.jpg

Nano-Chromatic

154489910_classicsmall.jpg.2a0e64c4a4ce24474f8024661384bf33.jpg

120 GB Classic

classic.png.b8a66c902fc59c0f6c4720fcf6639a54.png

120 GB Classic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly makes the iPod touch "all new"? It looks exactly the same to me, with the exception of speaker buttons.

iFixit took one apart and found a Bluetooth chip. Probably for the Nike app. A creative programmer could probably find a way to get a Bluetooth headset to work with it. Skype phone anyone? Also, the bluetooth chip had FM capabilities. I read this on the Wired site this morning. Could get interesting once the AT&T exclusives expire.

I like the Nike app on the iPod Touch and I've heard the speakers weren't much to shout about. But I'm closer to thinking about buying one; I can hold off because my old ipod is still working. I guess I'll just eventually get the iphone, since I'm more in need of getting rid of this huge pocketpc phone I lug around.

Terry

I'm not much of a fan of the new Nanos; they're just a little bit too rounded and oddly-shaped for me.

The new Touchs (Touches? Touch's?) aren't much different from the old. Volume buttons are nice, I guess.

Having a 3rd-gen nano, I don't really like the design of the 4th gen ones that much, though they are an improvement over the first two.

However I am looking to replace my 4th gen monocrhome 40 GB iPod from 2004. Though it holds all my music, it crapped out sometime this spring, probably the battery, and its hard drive was screwy. The latest Classic is cheap considering its capacity, but I wish they offered a 60 GB model for under $200 "I'm just sayin." The fact it's video-capable is great, but I'm a bit weary of hard drives since the other iPods are all now flash drives-no moving parts.

For the physical size, I think I'd might as well consider a Touch. It's more expensive than the classic, and less capacity, but it does SO much more.. widescreen and wifi, to start! A great companion when on a lengthy bus ride. I SO wish I could have an iPhone, but knowing my money situation, and the not-so-sweetheart tie with AT&T, I'll have to pass.

Yeah, but it's "FREE". I'm just happy that I don't have to buy it. My girlfriend got a 4th-gen Nano and it is pretty cool. I like how they put in an accerlerometer so you can use like you would with a Touch, only it doesn't have a touch-screen. I'm just afraid that I will break it whenever I hold it.

--Chris

^That may be how you feel, and I respect that, but who doesn't want to be able to listen to ALL of their music in one place. I know I do, and unless I'm going to carry around 150 CDs, I'm not going to be able to have as much music in one place. They are convenient and useful in situations such as long car rides or plane rides (I love having my Classic and being able to watch movies now) or if you're like me, in studio for 36 hours straight and need some form of entertainment when working. They aren't for everyone, obviously, but they are a good idea. It makes music much more accessible on a regular basis. They're small, easy to use, and relatively high quality, and not really all that expensive anymore.

As for the new iPod line, I think that the Nano is becoming the ugly stepsister of the family. When I originally bought my 2nd generation Nano, it was for a price reason. It was cheaper than the larger counterparts, and I didn't want to spend that much money. However, the Classic line is now coming down so much in price that spending the extra hundred dollars to get 15 times as much space is a great deal. As the price gap between the Nano and the Classic shrinks, the need for the Nano becomes less and less. Personally, I think that if they were to completely remove the Nano from their lineup and focus on making the Classic thinner, then this would be the perfect iPod. Its screen is big enough to watch movies comfortably, the hard drive is massive enough to hold nearly anyone's music and movie collection, and it's a good looking piece of machinery. And, honestly, I think the new Nano is seriously ugly and the proportions are all off. The screen is oddly sized for the overall size of the iPod and the curved front and back opposed to the flat front and back of the older Nanos just doesn't fit the iPod very well. I'm not a fan. I guess it doesn't matter though since I plan on having my iPod Classic for a long time as it fulfills all my current needs for music and movies.

There's actually a really good app for the iPhone (and I guess iPod touch) called Simplify Media that basically allows you to access your iTunes library remotely. So instead of having to load everything on your MP3 player, you can just stream whatever is on your home computer. With the 3G iPhone, I've been able to drive around and listen to stuff with the same quality. It's far from perfect, and it really depends on the speed and efficiency of both your home network and your wireless connection, and it eats up battery...but I could easily see that being the future of media players.

moose:I want a touch, basically for the WiFi.

I had the same thought. Another device for net surfing. Can you run the iPhone games and apps on the Touches? If so, pinball and Ms. Pacman would be a plus.

The "new" nanos look more like rehashed minis from a few years ago. That aside, it does offer a bit more screen.

All these are so tempting, but just keep coming back to my laptop for storage and capability. The price on an iPod is a good start on a laptop.

Even so, I still want an iPod, logic be damned.

I have a 4gb first generation Nano. I need to replace it becaue the battery lasts less than an hour now - it's 3 years old.

I would love to have a large capacity unit but I am leary of the Classic because it uses a hard drive. However the cost of the large capactiy non-hard drive units is very high.

I am right in avoiding the Classic because of the hard-drive? Or should I get one? Any advice?

I like the idea of the hard drive since you can use it for external storage. The flash based iPods cannot be used for data storage. I wish the iPhone came more storage. I would use it as a phone and iPod and thus want the bigger capacity. Though if the Simplify Media app works well then maybe I can stick with that.

^^I have an iPod Classic and use it almost daily. The hard drive is really excellent (80 GB) and hasn't failed me yet and can store a huge amount of files. The battery on my ipod classic usually lasts 4 or 5 days on a full charge if you listen to music and play a few games or videos. i would highly recommend it especially for the price. Quite thin and lightweight for the size of hard drive in it also. Go out and get one!

^^I have an iPod Classic and use it almost daily. The hard drive is really excellent (80 GB) and hasn't failed me yet and can store a huge amount of files. The battery on my ipod classic usually lasts 4 or 5 days on a full charge if you listen to music and play a few games or videos. i would highly recommend it especially for the price. Quite thin and lightweight for the size of hard drive in it also. Go out and get one!

Thanks for the information. As an IT guy, I have always been reluctant to use a portable hard-drive. I guess it's because I lived with hard drive failures and the units I used were very sensitive. Obviously, you don't throw them around but I guess it is more robust than I thought.