TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Went to the park yesterday. Crowds were pretty light for most of the morning but seemed to pick up early afternoon. I went with a couple of friends who had never been before and they had a blast. The bring your friends for $15 is the best, I need to go on those days more often.

We first went to Diamondback, rode it 3 times and it was a walk-on every time. Other than Apollo's Chariot, this is my favorite B&M Hyper. Crews were flying even with the seatbelts. I can't remember how many crew members they had before checking seats but I feel like they added one person to each side (3 per side), It's been awhile since I had been there though.

We hit Beast next and wow, it was so smooth. For awhile there I thought I was on a steel coaster it was that smooth. Crews on the Beast were running very slow stacking all 3 trains. I assume it was just because it was early.

We hit Backlot next, 20 minute wait. I think this is a fun little ride but they didn't have any of the effects working. It's been 7 years since I rode it so I don't know if that's a recent development or not.

Vortex was next and it wasn't as rough as I remember thinking it was. Did that one twice, 10 minute wait and a 20 minute wait.

Tried Windseeker for the first time and I liked it. I'm not a fan of any type of tower ride so I was shocked with how much I enjoyed it.

My friends did Firehawk next, I skipped that and hopped on Banshee. They waited 30 minutes for Firehawk and my wait was about 20 for Banshee. We all met up at Banshee and rode 2 more times, 25 minute wait tops. It is so much fun and seemed to be going through the elements much quicker than on media day. I haven't ridden many coasters but Banshee now claims my #2 spot knocking Millennium Force down (Maverick #1).

The Bat was next. I didn't catch the name of the guy who was on the mic but he was the best all day. He was cracking jokes and just having a good time. The bat really is a great coaster, really enjoyed it.

We went then went back and hit Racer and Flight of Fear. FoF broke down so that made the wait about 45minutes but we didn't mind since it got us out of the heat for awhile.

We ended the day with one more on Diamondback and Banshee before the storms started to roll in. Next time I go I really need to take my good camera, the park looked great plus there are so many good shots of Banshee I'd like to get. Hope you enjoyed!

Stupid question... how long does it usually take to process a season pass at Kings Island? We're going to go out there for Memorial Day weekend and plan on getting there a little early to do this. I know generally the process is very efficient at Cedar Fair parks but I haven't done it at Kings Island before.

Going to KI tomorrow and CP Wednesday, and I'm looking into the 60-ish dollar double park pass for this. Does anybody know how it works? Do you need to print it? Do you need to have it by a certain time in advance like KBF? How does one use this pass?

I just found out they changed the seat belts on Great Pumpkin Coaster. I rode today and went to hit the button to undo the seat belt and BAM. No button. Now have to wait for an associate to put the pin in the hole to get the seat belt off. Dispatch times suffered.

I just found out they changed the seat belts on Great Pumpkin Coaster. I rode today and went to hit the button to undo the seat belt and BAM. No button. Now have to wait for an associate to put the pin in the hole to get the seat belt off. Dispatch times suffered.

The safer, the better.

Stupid question... how long does it usually take to process a season pass at Kings Island? We're going to go out there for Memorial Day weekend and plan on getting there a little early to do this. I know generally the process is very efficient at Cedar Fair parks but I haven't done it at Kings Island before.

It is pretty efficient as you said. Depending on how long the line outside the building is, the whole process can take as low as 5 to 10 minutes to as long as 20 to 30. The good news is that since opening day has passed (which is probably the worst time to process), the wait to get in the building should be significantly shorter. In my experience, even if the line is about 70 to 100 feet from the door, the line moves very fast as they have like 10 stations inside where they take your picture, print your card, and have you out of there in no time with your shiny new pass.

^^^That's too bad. It seems like a step backward to add them to a ride that doesn't call for that style by design. Not like I'm ever going to ride it again, though. I just hope we don't end up with 10 pages of discussion about this.

We hit Backlot next, 20 minute wait. I think this is a fun little ride but they didn't have any of the effects working. It's been 7 years since I rode it so I don't know if that's a recent development or not.

Backlot's effects baffle me. They drained the water years ago, took away the fire and turned off the onboard audio when the park switched hands in 2007, but have since reinstated the fire and replaced the onboard audio. Still, it seems that the fire is only active on a handful of days (it was last Friday), and it has nothing to to with weather (I've had fire on a 95 degree day). I remain upset and confused that the "splashdown" element is gone, but I can get over that. I just wish the ride were more consistent.

I didn't have an SD card, so I didn't take any photos. BUT I will tell you all this!

*Diamondback is completely unaffected by the seatbelts. You can pull them and stretch them as much as you want, and they don't lock; even through out the ride! So you're able to enjoy Diamondback just as much as you have in the past years. Trust me on this review, I've worked the ride before and ridden it probably 1,000 times. And I enjoy it more than Banshee.

Banshee was great! Definitely surprised me on the second half of the ride. Through the first half (first immelman, loop, and zero g) Yeah it's massive and floaty, but after the zero-g when you hit full speed the ride kicks your ass! The upwards and downwards helix really showcase some nice forces. I love the ride!

However, I don't love the restraints. After 5+ rides, my shoulders/collar bone was worn out. It doesn't keep tightening like the wing coasters did, but it's still very very very snug. On the fringe of being uncomfortable. I must be the odd man out since everyone loves these new restraints? I still like old trains better in terms of comfort-ability. And yes, it does have a rattle. Whyyyyy, oh why? It's nothing awful, but it's very noticeable. Again, people were reporting it's just breaking in? Okay. I don't believe this is temporary, but I'll be happy if the rattle goes away.

. And yes, it does have a rattle. Whyyyyy, oh why? It's nothing awful, but it's very noticeable. Again, people were reporting it's just breaking in? Okay. I don't believe this is temporary, but I'll be happy if the rattle goes away.

I do hope it does as don't really think it is acceptable for a company that made rides which, after 20 years (in some cases) are still extremely smooth, to have any rattling issues with their new ones.

. And yes, it does have a rattle. Whyyyyy, oh why? It's nothing awful, but it's very noticeable. Again, people were reporting it's just breaking in? Okay. I don't believe this is temporary, but I'll be happy if the rattle goes away.

I do hope it does as don't really think it is acceptable for a company that made rides which, after 20 years (in some cases) are still extremely smooth, to have any rattling issues with their new ones.

I didn't think It rattled very much if at all when I went on Sunday. I had two rides in the front row, one in the back row, and one in the 4th row. The only time I noticed a rattle was when I was in the back but it only did that for a little. I didn't pay attention to which trains I were on so maybe it's just one train that rattles?

Banshee was a walk on most of the day today. It was chattering quite a bit on the outside cars but running HARD. It's amazing the difference from media day morning to today on the intensity of the ride. The Aqua train train had grease running down on all the seats getting on peoples clothes. I think the heat and those freshly packed new bearings needed a wipe so they shut it down for about 15 minutes and cleaned them all up. I saw someone vomit in the photo & gift shop. It smelled nice walking through every 4 minutes.

It was chattering quite a bit on the outside cars but running HARD. It's amazing the difference from media day morning to today on the intensity of the ride.

Everybody's saying how much better it's gotten since media day. This is getting me so pumped to go back to Kings Island in a month. On media day I thought it was amazing!

TR coming in a bit but I managed to walk on Banshee four times today! Green train rattles a bit, but nowhere near as bad as it is on purple. Blue is still my favorite. I did notice some capacity issues with Diamondback, though, not sure if it was the seatbelts or what but I saw all three trains stacked at one point. The Beast was running somewhat slowly midday (as in, unusually, it usually runs faster than it did at that time) but it was still fun as always. The Bat wasn't dripping oil like it was on media day and it ran pretty well, we went around that turn on the far end of the layout just as Banshee went by its carousel turn. Fun day overall, pictures coming soon!

I rode Banshee quite a bit this morning and I really didn't know the coaster could improve over time. I didn't think it needed to be "broken in", but my rides in the front seat today were awesome it really is my favorite invert. I think it is better than Montu and Alpengeist. At this moment, I would rather ride Banshee over D back but the back of Banshee today had quite a bit of rattle. Hopefully that works itself out.

I didn't think It rattled very much if at all when I went on Sunday. I had two rides in the front row, one in the back row, and one in the 4th row. The only time I noticed a rattle was when I was in the back but it only did that for a little. I didn't pay attention to which trains I were on so maybe it's just one train that rattles?

I rode in the front, the back, 3rd, all over. Middle seats, outside seats. I felt a rattle on all rides. I don't believe it's only one train.

It's weird, on the inside seats it might be the smoothest coaster ever. On the outside it can beat you up pretty bad (especially in the back). The seats seems to be spaced exactly even between the wheels so I don't understand how this happens. It definitely gives a different ride on almost every seat. I rode it 25 times yesterday and feel a bit sore this morning, but oh so worth it. I'm taking my 68 year old mom next week and was trying to find a suitable place for her to ride on it (Most certainly the inside seats) I agree that it's better than Raptor, Montu and Alpengeist. The bottom of the second drop where it "catches" and slams you in your seat is so awesome. Everyone loves the slow in line roll into the helix too, i like to listen to them go "Whoooooaaaa" as it rolls through that element. Hands down the best thing KI has ever put in that park. It's has unseated the wildness of the original BAT as my fav.

Are we getting soft that many of us are claiming that Banshee can beat people up pretty badly? Or that Diamondback is getting rough?

In particular, I have ridden Diamonback in a whole variety of rows in 2009, 2011, and 2014 and the changes are microscopic at most. Banshee on Media Day and the day after was just fine whether it was inside, outside, near the front, or near the back. Of course the back has a little more vibration, but that is to be expected on most coasters with a decently long train. Never would I say any of these B&Ms were painfullly rough or the least bit uncomfortable. If we really want to, we can petition KI to trim the hell out of Banshee and Diamondback so they run nice and controlled as Silver Bullet does, and we can all complain that B&M still makes forceless coasters.

Are we getting soft that many of us are claiming that Banshee can beat people up pretty badly? Or that Diamondback is getting rough?

This! I totaled 11 rides on Banshee at media day, and in row 8 there was the SLIGHTEST bit of rattling, but in no way shape or form did it make the ride uncomfortable. It was more of "hmmmm I feel a tiny rattle, oh well I'm going to keep enjoying this ride now!"