TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Well I was planning on going to Hershey Saturday the 20th and knoebels on Sunday. However with skyrush down I am contemplating just going to knoebels on Saturday. I am afraid with skyrush down the lines for the rest of the coasters will be ridiculous. Has anyone here been to Hershey park in the dark on a Saturday? If so were the crowds unbearable?

Well I was planning on going to Hershey Saturday the 20th and knoebels on Sunday. However with skyrush down I am contemplating just going to knoebels on Saturday. I am afraid with skyrush down the lines for the rest of the coasters will be ridiculous. Has anyone here been to Hershey park in the dark on a Saturday? If so were the crowds unbearable?

It all depends on the temperature of the day. If its from 42-60 GO! If its higher than 60 then its a NO! Normal people dont wanna freeze their nuts off a rollercoaster, coaster enthusiasts will ride in any weather. So its up to you and temperature. Ive been at it last year with no Skyrush and its not that bad of a crowd. Some people may not even know if rush is closed, so it depends.

If they made the bar flat instead of a angle it would fix the problem (this would increase the surface area and make the restrients look almost identical to Mack Launch Coasters).

But, it would only help for some people. No offense here, but anyone who the lap restraint can't sit completely flat on will be put through the exact same discomfort that seems to plague victims of stacking now.

I think that Mack gets the overhead lap bar correct. They had the front car of one of the Manta trains at the IAAPA Attractions Expo last year, and sitting in the seat with the restraint down was actually not a terrible experience. I think one of the guys at Mack actually joked about leaving my buddy and I locked into the seat...I don't remember though.

Sorry, I won't buy it until Hersheypark releases a press blast about it.

I don't believe that, if the axles have really failed, it has anything to with the track or layout.

I'm no structural engineer, but if there actually is a problem, it's with the trains. I think that it could possibly maybe have something to do with how the winged seats are attached to the train (jutting out and up on either side, not attached in any other way) and how they might be putting un-necessary stress on the wheels which are closer to the center. But, then again, the super-wide diving coaster trains don't seem to be having any problems...

Skyrush is certainly aggressive, but I wouldn't call it super-intense enough to break train axles based on the targeted G-forces alone.

Heck, if they decide to put normal four-across trains on Skyrush to get it running again, I'll take it. Make them Wildfire-style with no sides or fronts and you'll get pretty much the same "airy" effect.

I hate to speculate on a internet rumor coming from a less than authoritative place, but there's a lot of things that could theoretically go wrong with the axle/wheel assemblies. If it is that serious, I'm sure we'll hear plenty more in the coming days/weeks/months.

Some of these anti-Intamin articles are just ridiculous. Apparently anything needing some fine tuning is all of a sudden "shoddy." Like with i305, all these "problems" with Skyrush will be long forgotten next season.

Hersheypark posted an update on their Facebook page a few minutes ago regarding Skyrush:

Hersheypark, in conjunction with the ride manufacturer, have decided to close Skyrush for the remainder of the season to allow for an earlier start on maintenance, overhaul, and testing. One such test you'll see today includes our friendly co-workers, the water-test crew, as they take the last official ride of the season while testing Skyrush.

I'm glad that Hersheypark issued a statement about it. It will shut some people (including myself) up.

Hopefully the early closure means that they can get whatever's wrong worked out in time for Springtime in the Park. I'm itching to go.

The three coasters that had their running lights shut off were Comet, Wildcat, and Lightning Racer. It was a unique experience and is something worth checking out if you plan on going! It's on the next two Friday nights from 9 to 10PM (closing).

Little report from the first Saturday of Hershey Park in the Dark.

First off, Skyrush is a freakin tease. It's just sitting there, beckoning you, until you get down into the Hollow and see the fenced off entrance. One of the trains is in storage, and the other is in the station, uncovered. There are some blue barrier-type things in the station. I couldn't tell what they were.

We started off the day at Chocolate World, because my friend had never been there before and wanted to buy some chocolate. We stored our stuff in the car (close parking spot) and headed in. The park seemed really crowded, but the lines weren't so bad cause most of the visitors seemed to be families with young kids.

Storm Runner was first since Lightning Racer was stopped on the lift. Wait was about 7 minutes and started at the bottom of the steps. The ride was as good as always. Wildcat was next since Lightning Racer was still stopped. Ran okay, a bit rough on the second curving dive, but nothing too bad.

Since Lightning Racer was finally up, we went on that next. Thunder was hauling ass and won every single time by about 1/2 a train length. Ops were kinda slow, but both sides ran smoothly. A quick bite to eat, and back to Storm Runner we went. My friend wanted to wait for front seat, and we ended up queuing for about 30 minutes.

Somehow, we ended up at Great Bear. Wait was about 20 minutes. We had two trains ahead of us when the ops sent out an empty train. Next one pulled in and was stopped. An op went out with a bucket to clean something off the train sent out. The ride was shut for about 20 minutes before maintenance came and fixed it. While waiting, I ended up with a ride op. He said Skyrush wouldn't be able to run for the Halloween season anyway, even if there was no maintenance. He also said that mechanical problems that needed more than the winter to be fixed were being worked on and some improvements were being made so that she could open back up in the spring better than ever.

I don't know what he was referring to, but some queue work or revamping must be planned since the switchbacks were removed. There also appeared to be a small maintenance basket beneath the top of the lift.